V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my friends 03 softail standard over the house and he wanted to install my stock o4 sportster handle bars on his bike, drag bars to him I guess. I got everything bolted up in the dog bones. Heres where problems started, I have about 3-4in of extra wiring harness extra. Can I tuck that up under his gas tank? He is going to pick up new clutch and throttle cables less 4in under stock to get them to run in same location as old bars. The old brake line cant be reused, to long and my 04 sporty line has small banjos on both ends and his has large banjo at master cylinder. Any input on the brake line retro would be help, he wants to keep the hard metal line look. What size is the top banjo bolt, it looks like a 11mm 12point socket which I didnt have. I tried to talk him back into putting the old bars back on but thats a no go right now.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
You can just tuck the extra wiring under the tank. I wouldn't advise cutting them. He might choose to go back to his old handlebars, or a different set all together and need the extra length. I don't know the size of the banjo bolt. Should be in the service manual. Good luck...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just use a tie wrap and tie the extra wiring under the tank. The top banjo is a 12mm. The Night Train cables are 4" shorter than a Standard's. I used an aftermarket braided brake line (34" I believe) with new banjo's. He is going to have a real hard time finding a hard brake line, that will fit this application. Unless he bends one up himself.

Don

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend went to the dealer and got a cable and brake line kit for drag bars, The brake line is a stock looking piece. I got everything done except the clutch cable due to him not having the service manual for the bike, and the one i have is for a sportster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts