V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kinda wanting a 6.8 SPC, but RRA has not put any on the market yet, and the Barret's just too expensive. As an alternative, I actually thought it might be cool to get an AR chambered in my favorite .243 as a whitetail gun. I was checking out the Panther LR-243 and I wonder if anyone has one, and can offer some impressions on it (or any of the other DPMS products).

Thanks,

ST

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
There are probably a dozen DPMS AR-15s of one kind or another within 20 feet of where I'm sitting right now. We have had very good luck with DPMS products. I've shot several of their prototypes as well as their little 7" AR (the kitty cat). All have run great.
The owner is real serious about putting out good stuff. The only negative I can say is if you order an upper someplace or any other part for that matter, when you get it, open the box and check that it's the correct part. DPMS is very backlogged and they have a habit of marking the boxes wrong.
Other than that, no problems.

·
Registered
180 Posts
DPMS are good but

Their barrels are not chrome lined so are not totally mil spec. Not a problem unless you are going into a rainforest. Just keep the barrel swabbed with clp and you are good to go.

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
enFORCER said:
DPMS makes some good products. Might as well go ahead and get it, because I don't think you will be seeing any new products from Rock River Arms in the near future. They are WAY behind in production with the models they offer right now.
You said it. I've wanted a RRA .308 for a while now to go with my CAR-A4 but they just aren't puttin' em out. I think it would be neat to have a .243 on an AR platform. Come to think of it, I think the .243 w/ 100 grain bullet would have been a better alternative than the 6.8 SPC for military use.

·
Finally
839 Posts
Yep I sold my RR upper a few years ago and now I want a new one but cannot get one.

I bought an Armalite AR10 a few years ago because they were the best .308 AR platform at the time. I thought about the .243 but decided on the 08 because of ammo availability. At the time there was a ton of cheap 08 brass for reloading as well as mil surplus ammo for plinking. I have used my AR10 for hunting and it has served me well. I had to find a load that would shoot consistent. Biggest drawback is the weight of the AR10 when on foot. The bolt, lower etc. adds weight compared to the AR15. Lot easier to carry your everyday bolt action on the hunting trip in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I've got a Bushmaster, and last time I checked price and availability for .223 ammo I was floored!

Dang war has put a strangle hold on everything AR related.

good luck with your purchase!

Cheers!

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black Magic said:
I've got a Bushmaster, and last time I checked price and availability for .223 ammo I was floored!

Cheers!
You got that right. I bought up a bunch of .223 at bass pro shops when I saw it for $6.79 a box (Remington). Black Hills has gone way up in my area.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yep

Black Magic said:

Cheers!
Ammo ships full for past 4 months.....destination TBA
Go get 'em George................Hopefully will be Iran...it's payback time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts