V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 3000mi on my bike and just yesterday, for the first time, I had troubles downshifting from second into first everytime. I had to kick it down once, then twice to get it to drop into first. The first kick feels soft. The peg moves down but no clunk until I kick it again. Also, when shifting up from first to second it has been hitting nuetral quite a bit lately....any ideas????? Once the bike was warmed up, it seems to downshift better (going into first on first kick) but the upshift to second still hits nuetral periodically even when warm.....Granted I am in Canada and it is only about 50 degrees but I have been riding lots in this temperature and never had any previous problems. FYI I do let the bike warm up for a couple of minutes before I ride and I dont ride hard until up to operating temp. Would appreciate any comments....

·
Banned
490 Posts
Shifting woes..

As the clutch plates and the shifter mechanism wear you will gradually see some changes in performance. Most of the time the change is so gradual you will hardly notice it - to the point that when you replace or repair it you get a big "whoa! - I can't believe I was riding around like that.."

Most Harleys do require a bit of a "boot" to properly engage gears, especially when moving into and out of first. Make your upshifts fairly "confidently" (don't worry - you aren't likely to push it into fourth).

Downshifting has its own series of issues. I try not to shift into first unless my speed is really low - I guess around 15 mph. I also make a point on "blipping" the throttle on downshifts - but again being fairly aggressive when going into first. Just rest your foot on the shifter, pull in the clutch, and give the throttle a good hard twist - in most cases the bike will snick into gear as smooth as goose grease.

If it was really cold out (i.e. 20 Deg. F or lower) I'd say that your transmission oil was getting sticky, but 50 Deg. doesn't seem cold enough. Maybe its time for an oil change?

·
Registered
477 Posts
That is strange behavior as I find my VROD's tranny one of the smoothest shifting, no clunking trannys I've ever rode, vastly better than the older Harley trannies, and better than any *** bike tranny I've ridden. I'm really impressed with its smoothness. I have had mine kick out of second into neutral, when bike is really getting warm, like running it really hard in hot weather, ie 90F. But its a rare thing, maybe I didn't shift it with authority.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Paul - I had a problem that sounbded similar - the linkage was binding - I understand this issues is most prevelent with the chrome footpegs and shifter combo - I fixed this be squirting wd40 around the shifter and the linkage near were it passes the kickstand - try it - I also had my mechanic remove the shifter and lubricate. In my case the problem was not only limited to 1st to second - and it just suddenly appeared.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I also had a binding linkage for a while. I was having problems up-shifting for a while too. Finally figured out that my steel toed boots were too thick and I was unknowingly pre-loading the shift mechanism. My boot was touching the shift lever and never letting it return to the "home position". This made it feel like the linkage was bound too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did you have the drive belt tensioned lately. My V-Rod was setup with a drive belt strung like a banjo from the dealer and the bike wouldn't shift into neutral or smoothly from 1st to 2nd or downsift from 2nd to 1st until I gave the belt some slack. Belt tension doesn't sound related to smooth shifting but it is, it was the same case on my Buell also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
you made need to just have the transmission shifter forks adjusted, had a new bike that wouldn't find neutral and problems shifting between 1st and 2nd after 1000 mi. had the tranny opended and checked the adjustment (close but no cigar) from the factory and maybe the wear in the 1000 mi added to the problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your responses. Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back but I've been away.

The bike just had its 1000 mi service recently. It has whatever oil HD put in during the oil change. I do blip the throttle when downshifting and it takes two kicks to engage 1st. It doesnt matter how hard I press the lever on the first kick, it wont engage until the second.....until warmed up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No.....there is no diff in feel. I assume that it must just be that the bike is cold. Once I am on it for a while it seems to slowly get better until it shifts just like it did when I got it. Because it is quite cold here in Canada now (between 35 -50 degrees F) maybe that is the reason......

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I dont normaly post here in this section but I thought I might on this one. Belt tension on the V-Rods in tight if it is done to spec it seems very tight. I belive it is 2 mm with 10 lbs of pressure I would have to look at a book on that one) One thign that we have seen at the dealer I work at with shifting problems most seem stiff for the first 1000+ miles. The other is do you have any trouble with it popping out of gear?? ( polizzio have this checked) the factory is having problems with broken internal linkage. the factory fix is a new engine. they have a test for it after you make a call to the tech line ( dealer only of course) 2 of the 4 that we did had very stiff shifting issue's and we found that the linkage was seprated and had to replace the engine.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Belt tension is tight, 6mm using the HD deflectometer. My engine was replaced after jumping out of gear. I have used Mobil 1 in all of my bikes, which makes shifting very very smooth.

JMS

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ya know I been thining abut this one for days. The same thought comes to mind and I hop this helps.

WTH, you have a VRod right?

To Hell with downshifting, just keep going! LOL!

I am so sorrt buy I am lit a hell right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts