V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking for 3 years at HD, i have narrowed it down to the roadking and the hertiage softail, my question for you all is which is the better bike for short rides to longer 500 mile rides. I'm 6'3 - 260 lbs, my woman is 5'10 and guessing 160lbs, but she has a 36 inch inseam long legged gal, i like the way the softail sits, but concerned about the suspesion, compared tio the roadkings air susp.

G

·
I'm quite biased here, but I'd say the Road King is going to suit your needs a little better, although you'd be happy with either.

Harris

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
cmarider said:
i have been looking for 3 years at HD, i have narrowed it down to the roadking and the hertiage softail, my question for you all is which is the better bike for short rides to longer 500 mile rides. I'm 6'3 - 260 lbs, my woman is 5'10 and guessing 160lbs, but she has a 36 inch inseam long legged gal, i like the way the softail sits, but concerned about the suspesion, compared tio the roadkings air susp.
This is easy.:yes:

Get the Heritage Softail for your OL and get the Road King for you.

Best of both worlds. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Down To 2 Bikes

thanks for the imfo, but wife doesnt want own bike, just likes to ride

is there any pictures on this site that has apes on a roadking?

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
cmarider said:

Find a dealer that has rentals, and spend a day on each, It will be money well spent.

Teu

·
Registered
883 Posts
There really is no choice here - with 2 good sized people you need a Road King. I was asking similiar questions about 2yrs ago .... I am so thankful someone steered me to the Road King --- mine is a 2004 standard FLHR.

We've taken trips accross the state and across several states

And keep in mind that comfort is key whether you're riding 50mi or 500mi. And even on a RK you may need to look at back rest that is adjustable to give your wife some room to stretch.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Go with RK if you like long rides

I'd cast my vote for the RK, if your days regularly go farther than 100 or so miles you'll be glad you did. Softies have the looks but touring models are what H-D does best.

Ride safe,

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have never ridden a softail, but from waht I hear, there not as good for two people.
Better question is do you have any experience riding a bike? What do you have now?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I test rode many bikes before deciding on my 99 FLHRCI. Fatboy's, Softails, Titan, Iron Horse etc etc. For the way I like to ride you can't beat that beefy FL frame for both comfort and handling. I have five days of over 1000 miles and more than I can count in the 500 to 800 mile range. When I blast off in the spring for LA and Laughlin I've usually got ten days worth of clothes, complete tool bag and full summer and winter gear on board plus a windshield. The other thing I really like is when I get to where I'm going it takes me about five minutes to strip off the backrest, t-bag, windsheild etc then I'm all nice and cleaned up for the street. I took a lady friend to Milwaukee for the 100th and we did about 600 a day out and back with no complaints. No bias here...lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rk

Life's too short so don't wait and get that Road King. It will fit both of you well. Long trips loaded to the gills, two up, up a huge grade, huge headwind any bike gets small under you except the FL series.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My Mrs. and I have been ridin' together for 14 yrs. Started on a 75' sporty, then went to an FXR. Now were on a FLHT. Once you go the the touring line, you'll never want to go back. The FLHT/ roadkings were designed from the begining for 2 up riding, wether the ride is 5 miles or 500, they will work a lot better than a softail or dyna in that regard.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Another vote for the Road King -- and I have a Road King and a Softail. Two up riding, there's just no comparison after the first 50 miles or so. My wife is 5' 10" tall also, she had lots of trouble with the Softail. It was a tough ride to Sturgis --- now we take the Road King every year and look forward to the ride. That FL chassis really makes a difference.

·
Registered
769 Posts
cmarider said:

The roadking is a great bike... for sure. You said you were interested in riding two up .. .while the road king does share the same platform as all the FLH bikes ,,, for two up ,,, take a very very serious look at the electra glide classic .... the money isnt that much different and your wife will love the tourpack and great backrest .....if you really want to extract utility out of your motorcycle ,,, the tourpack is somthing that will do that ,,, its just so much more simple to toss somthing in if you use your bike for running around town or going to work....... of the roadkings ,,, get the standard ,, i think the hard bags are better than the ones on the classic......add the cruise control when you buy the bike ,,, it does come standard on the custom ,, but i just dont like the bags on the custom as well as the traditional hard bags .....rat

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
ratt

The RK Classic comes with cruise not the Custom. I have a Custom and the cruise is on my Christmas list.

But I vote for Road King also.

jjl

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm looking at this from my experience and I don't disagree with most of what has been said. The RK is a better tourer than the softail, but I looked back at your post and you didn't mention touring. I ride a 2000 Fatboy and have put on over 20,000 miles. Much of that is two-up on tours ranging up to 3000 miles. After getting rid of the stock seat, no complaints. If you compare the two bikes you mentioned, you will find only differences of an inch here or a couple of pounds there. The only thing you need to do is ride both. Only you can really decide which one you can't live without.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts