Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
look at this

Nov. 16, 2007, 6:02AM
Drug smuggler shot by agents gets indicted

By ALICIA A. CALDWELL
Associated Press

EL PASO — More than two years after being shot and wounded by a pair of U.S. Border Patrol agents later convicted in the shooting, an admitted Mexican drug smuggler faces federal charges, U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton said.

Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, who was shot in the buttocks in February 2005 after fleeing from border agents during an attempted smuggling attempt, has been indicted on charges of smuggling marijuana in September and October of that year.

Aldrete was arrested Thursday at an El Paso border crossing on charges of possession with the intent to distribute a controlled substance, conspiracy to import a controlled substance and conspiracy to possess a controlled substance with intent to distribute.

The agents, Jose Alonso Compean and Ignacio Ramos, were convicted last year of shooting Aldrete and lying about it. Both were sentenced to more than a decade in prison.

Aldrete is scheduled to appear in federal court in El Paso today.

"For more than a year, critics of the prosecution ... have complained that Aldrete, the fleeing, unarmed drug smuggler they shot, should have been prosecuted for drug smuggling," Sutton said in a written statement. "I have repeatedly said that if we obtain sufficient competent and admissible evidence against Aldrete, we would prosecute him."

Aldrete's shooting and the subsequent arrest and conviction of Ramos and Compean caused a national firestorm among conservative lawmakers and others. Critics of Sutton have repeatedly called the prosecution unjustified and the sentences extreme.

In July, conservative Republicans won initial House support for an effort to cut federal funding to house the former agents in prison.

U.S. Rep. John Culberson, R-Texas, said Thursday that Aldrete's arrest and indictment should have come sooner.

"It's about time they arrested the drug dealer," Culberson said in a statement issued by his office in Washington. "It's long past time for them to release agents Ramos and Compean."

Joe Loya, Ramos' father-in-law, said the indictment was not surprising.

"He is a career criminal who has been smuggling drugs since he was 14," Loya said. "Who I really feel sorry for is his wife and children."

Opponents of the prosecution against Ramos and Compean have previously argued that Sutton's office ignored evidence that Aldrete, who acknowledged smuggling drugs the day he was shot in 2005, had smuggled drugs a second time. He was given immunity for the first smuggling attempt to testify against the agents.

According to testimony at the agents' trial, Aldrete was shot after a struggle with Compean as Aldrete tried to make it back across the border. Compean fired more than a dozen shots while Ramos fired a single shot. It was Ramos' bullet that hit Aldrete.

Compean said he believed he saw a gun in Aldrete's hand during their confrontation. Aldrete insisted that he was unarmed.

The agents were accused and convicted of failing to report the shooting and trying to cover it up.

Ramos and Compean began serving their prison sentences in January.

If convicted of the drug charges, Aldrete faces up to 40 years in prison and a $2 million fine.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
day late and a dollar short.....

those border agents should've been commended...

·
N.R.A.
772 Posts
Thats right here. Ever since this debacle started 99.9 percent of the public has (and does) support the BP Agents. The open borders, no such thing as illegal alien types, are the only ones against the poor BP guys.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
if Bush wants to prove himself not a moron, as I allege, he will grant executive clemency to those 2 agents. But, then, that would go against his pro-illegal stance.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Shaw_2112 said:
day late and a dollar short.....

those border agents should've been commended...
If they had told the truth in thier reports, yes. But lying to protect themselves shows that they only care for themselves and makes them look like undependable witnesses. We don't need any more like that in law enforcement.

I do feel that the punishment was a bit harsh, though.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not so

route66paul said:
If they had told the truth in thier reports, yes. But lying to protect themselves shows that they only care for themselves and makes them look like undependable witnesses. We don't need any more like that in law enforcement.

I do feel that the punishment was a bit harsh, though.
Thats if you choose to believe they lied in their reports.

From what I heard and read, they did not. They did nothing out of the ordinary.

By the way, listen to Glenn Beck on Monday. There is gonna be stuff coming

to light Monday.

P. S. your bike looks real sharp after the fix up. I hope you feelin as good too!

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
But a jury did

knuckleheader said:
From what I heard and read, they did not. They did nothing out of the ordinary.

Knuckle you don't have to believe anything you don't want too. But the jury believed the guys lied and that is what counts. For someone who constantly reminds us of the need to uphold the constitution you seem to want to throw out the jury conviction part of this issue.

These guys had every opportunity provided by the justice system to defend themselves. Because the defence did not work is no reason to fault the jury system. Even those jurors who told the world how they did not want to convict these guys, did in fact convict them. You might have heard a rendition of the story from some inside source that claims their innocent. I hear the moon is made of cheese moon landing never happened.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep following the story

toybox99615 said:
Knuckle you don't have to believe anything you don't want too. But the jury believed the guys lied and that is what counts. For someone who constantly reminds us of the need to uphold the constitution you seem to want to throw out the jury conviction part of this issue.

These guys had every opportunity provided by the justice system to defend themselves. Because the defence did not work is no reason to fault the jury system. Even those jurors who told the world how they did not want to convict these guys, did in fact convict them. You might have heard a rendition of the story from some inside source that claims their innocent. I hear the moon is made of cheese moon landing never happened.

toybox, if you can also listen to Glenn Beck on monday. I think it's a reporter

that has good info on some shaddy goings on with Johnny Sutton(D.A)

who screwed these agents.

If you listen to these new facts and are still satisfied with their conviction,

oh well.

Have you been practiceing your spanish?:roflback:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Some LEOS, like many other people believe in a CYA approach. ALL of the officers at the Rodney King beating, including those in the helicopter and the school and park police lied in thier reports. I understand that when paired up, one officer writes the report, but the other does sign it. When they fail to mention significant details, that just shows sloppt police work. A "good cop" would have written it the way it was, not the way all agreed. They ALL should have been censured and had a writeup in thier files. This is all to common in policework. The blue wall is criminal. These guys are not just like the union brothers down at the plant. They are Sworn Police Officers and should do what is right. In our age of video everywhere, they will have to learn to tell the whole truth or risk cesurement.

I don't know the specifics in this case, but I heard that thier reports were missing specific parts of the confrontation, enough to have been unlawful.

I understand that thier jobs aren't easy, but police in most areas are paid an excellent wage, right out of school. They make as much as highly skilled craftsman and they work a full year, some with mucho overtime. We have to hold them to a higher standard than we would one of the union brothers down at the plant.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Yea, like LEO's never lie. If you believe that, I got a wall (the one their gonna build:roflback: ) for sale, cheap. How many bikers have been pulled over, just cause we're on those big bad Harley's, then written up or worse arrested for nothing, and of course the LEO's were truthful in the report. I don't have a problem with their pay, in fact the many good cops out there are underpaid IMO. And I'm not sticking up for illegals.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
knuckleheader said:
toybox, if you can also listen to Glenn Beck on monday. I think it's a reporter

that has good info on some shaddy goings on with Johnny Sutton(D.A)

who screwed these agents.

If you listen to these new facts and are still satisfied with their conviction,

oh well.

Have you been practiceing your spanish?:roflback:
If there is something shady going on in the D.A.'s office, they will be found out. This case has gotten national exposure. It might be time for someone to take retirement, go into private practice, or move to Dubai, depending on the degree of complicantcy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts