V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
assclown.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A related cause of single vehicle accidents resulting in fatalities is wearing full face helmets and gear. Let me explain. When the weather turns cold, many of us will don clothing and equipment that keeps us warmer while riding. These include scarves and full face helmets. When the rider wears these items, the inflow of fresh oxygen is decreased and is replaced by the rider’s exhaled air (carbon dioxide). Breathing in carbon dioxide makes the rider light headed and may eventually cause a black out, which usually results in an accident. These accidents are most often fatal.

http://www.gafullthrottle.com/archives/dec05/abate.htm

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
Breathing in carbon dioxide makes the rider light headed and may eventually cause a black out, which usually results in an accident. These accidents are most often fatal.

Breathing pure oxygen causes euphoria and may lead to inattention resulting in an accident.

You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. :yes:

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
soooooo, thats why i keep falling over. thanks, going out to the garage to install a forced air induction, will let yall know how it works!

·
Registered
73 Posts
claydbal said:
soooooo, thats why i keep falling over. thanks, going out to the garage to install a forced air induction, will let yall know how it works!

Just be careful where you force the air from........

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
oxygen

gee, i guess we need to rig up one of those fresh air breathing setups like off road racers use. That way I can look like the Astronaut guy, while riding. May start a whole new trend....

·
Registered
73 Posts
1bdBagr said:
gee, i guess we need to rig up one of those fresh air breathing setups like off road racers use. That way I can look like the Astronaut guy, while riding. May start a whole new trend....

Just do a search on it first.........

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
A related cause of single vehicle accidents resulting in fatalities is wearing full face helmets and gear. Let me explain. When the weather turns cold, many of us will don clothing and equipment that keeps us warmer while riding. These include scarves and full face helmets. When the rider wears these items, the inflow of fresh oxygen is decreased and is replaced by the rider’s exhaled air (carbon dioxide). Breathing in carbon dioxide makes the rider light headed and may eventually cause a black out, which usually results in an accident. These accidents are most often fatal.

This is true ya know. I've died twice because of this. I won't wear a FF anymore.:xhere:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hdmarsh77 said:
This is true ya know. I've died twice because of this. I won't wear a FF anymore.:xhere:

you think you would have learnt <sic> the first time... dumbass!!

:bleh:

;)

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
you think you would have learnt <sic> the first time... dumbass!!

:bleh:

;)

I just wanted to make sure it was the helmet's fault!:brows:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Don't believe it!

There are several things wrong with ABATE of Georgia's article. First according to the NHTSA from 1990 to 1999 the percent of motorcycle accidents that were single vehicle accidents was about 47%, not one in ten. While alcohol use was high it was not invloved in "the vast majority" of SVA. As I reccall it too was about 46 or 47%. As for Pete Conrad how could his autopsy conclude he died of oxygen deprevation. He died several hours after the accident from internal injuries. Even if he did in fact pass out from oxygen deprivation and crashed that would not show up in an autopsy as like I said, he died several hours later so while he was in the ambulance & hosptial he would have been on oxygen. I am posting a link that is in response to ABATE of Ga.'s claim that full face helmets can cause oxygen deprivation.
Read this---> http://www.canyonchasers.net/blog/archives/113-From-the-land-of-the-obviously-stupid.html

Also here is a report from the NHTSA on single vehicle motorcycle accients.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/Rpts/2001/809-360.pdf

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I would say "BS", is it at all possible, yes, is it likely, not very.
I have ridden in cool weather countless times with a FF helmet, bundled up like crazy, even with a heavy scarf around the neck to keep the cold air off my neck and out of my face. The only problem I have had is condensation on the inside of the bubble.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would guess that its more a matter of full face buckets and full leather and pad riders tend to be out pushing the the speed a little harder than rider who wear less gear ...gear tends to insulate you mentally from the speed......face it alot of these accidents are sportbike type riders and they have a habit of going wide and biting the bark on the old oak tree ...... nothing wrong with gear ... but it doesnt make you bullet proof ,,,,,,, rat

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I wear at least a half helmet all the time, a 3/4 helmet with a face shield when it's raining, and a full face helmet when it's just damn cold. A long time ago I rode cafe racers and always used a full face helmet. I have yet to die from oxygen deprevation; if I do I'll be the first one to let y'all know about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts