V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
not sober all the time
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were riding the Tail of The Dragon Tuesday. It wasn't my first choice of a ride but my wife wanted to add it to her list of accomplishments. Somewhere in the middle we came up on a bike missing some of it's parts and a Corvette with major damage to the front left fender. I found a sequence of photos of the accident today. It seems the guy on the bike was waving at the photographer, went across the center line and into the fender of the Vette. I heard he was walking around right after the wreck.

Scroll through the series of pics on this link.

http://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK01AY080000&po=0&pc=28

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
2,040 Posts
Wow !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
he panicked...I think he was going faster than he could handle the turn in,and was slowing instead of giving it throttle.Looked like he hit the brake and stopped turning and tried to stop instead.He might have avoided the car if he'd continued to turn even though he was across the centerline.
In a couple of the pics before the impact you could see he was going stright and the brake light was on.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
I found the road itself to be a great ride (was afraid it may be "challenging from all the horror stories\pics).

What I was most afraid was the other vehicles.

I figured the camera's were set up at "dangerous corners" so I took them cautiously. They were regular corners after all.

Great example of the idiots out there, glad he is OK.

rkc

·
Registered
50 Posts
he panicked...I think he was going faster than he could handle the turn in,and was slowing instead of giving it throttle.Looked like he hit the brake and stopped turning and tried to stop instead.He might have avoided the car if he'd continued to turn even though he was across the centerline.
In a couple of the pics before the impact you could see he was going straight and the brake light was on.
Good assessment! I agree.

@gree:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was up there 2 weeks ago for the first time and was apprehensive about the Dragon also. Personally I thought a lot of the roads in N.Ga. and S. Carolina were better than TOD. The curves just are on top of each other on TOD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In a couple of the pics before the impact you could see he was going stright and the brake light was on.
Totally agree. He definitely target fixated and panicked.

·
not sober all the time
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, that crash is definitely documented!

Why didn't you want to ride Tail of the Dragon??
My wife isn't a complete newbie to riding but she doesn't have a lot of experience and can be a little anxious at times. I didn't know how well she would handle that many tight turns, traffic, etc. I was leading and took it slow. Some impatient sport bike riders blew by us as usual on the Tail but she did fine.

I'd rather ride where I can be a little more casual, take in the scenery, etc. Tail of the Dragon is OK but just not my first choice of places to ride.

So Uncle Salty, where are your pics?

rkc
I'll post some soon. :beer:

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
That was an "OH SH!T" moment for both of them. Nothing like having photographic evidence for the cops and insurance companies....no disputing anything there. Looks to me like he may have drug the bike too. Dood went flyin'!
Tim

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I learned on the Dragon. It is fun, but dangerous. You can enjoy it just take your time. My wife road it on her bike with only 800 miles under her belt.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Once that rider panicked and stood the bike back up, it was over.

As far as being passed on the dragoon, if you are holding up traffic let them by.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Looks like he dragged, over reacted instead of continuing through his turn, brought the bike up and straight into the car. We were more concerned about the other drivers/riders when we drove the dragon this summer. Saw a tractor trailer and a large class A motorhome, coming up as we we going down the road. The skyway is much more fun and much better scenery in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts