V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I bought a used seat for my dyna off a guy.
The part you sit on is very worn, so before I buy the seat, I call Lucky Daves to ask what theyd charge me to recover it, they say $180.00, so I buy the seat cause its a $700.00+ seat new due to the custom color, the guy only wants $200.00 for it, which makes the recovering worth it, and its grey in color and looks cool on my Diamond Ice FXDX.
Anyhow, I call Lucky Daves to see about sending the seat in to be reworked, and NOW they tell me that they will only recover it if I am the original owner with receipts and all that. I told em what the other guy told me and they say it doesnt matter what the other guy said. Come on, people, it my money wtf????
So, in short, if you buy a used LD seat, dont expect to get anything but a bill for a brand new seat when the used seat eventually wears a hole or gets torn by a key or something in your pocket. F#$k those guys, Ill get a Saddlemen, cause they said they could recover it for me if they had that material, but the shape is different, which makes it prohibitive, but if it were a Saddlemen, it wouldnt matter if I were the tenth owner, they would fix it for me.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I bought a used Danny Gray seat on ebay and sent it to Mean City Cycles for customizing. They never asked for the background or pedigree of the seat. Sounds a little ridiculous for Luck Daves to have you go through all that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, man. Its complete bullshit. I would have just bought a brand new one had I known they were going to screw me. I even offered to pay $100.00 over their $180.00 recovering fee and they said no. Going to try a local shop and see if they can just de stitch the seat portion only and match the material and go from there. Hope they can fix it, if not, I suppose Ill just rock it til it starts to tear apart more then burn the thing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had something like this happen to me.
I got a sheep skin auto seat cover and using a toilet seat for a template made my own cover. A sharp box cutter and zip zap.

These auto seat covers come in all different colors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you can buy a cover off ebay, I got one for my RK and it worked great. Even pick your color. I have a dyna seat, I dont know the year, it is grey (gray?) The leahter is alligator style. Anyhow, its a brand new seat, maybe tomorrow I could send some pics to you with measurements. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Only willing to recover a "NEW" Seat or the "original" OWNER --- refuse to reupholster a "USED SEAT" ! ? ! ? ! ?

THAT is the MOST ridiculous requirement that I have ever heard of !

(possibly this upholstery shop has been "BUSTED" with stolen goods in their possession in the past ? ) = no blame = just a past possible situation ?

There should be a tremendous number of UPHOLSTERY Shops who will be glad to recover your used / internet purchase SEAT

was the problem with just acquiring the OEM Material from the manufacturer ???
Was "LUCKY DAVE" the original seat manufacturer ? ( I've just never heard of this "brand" SEAT before )
but
I'm pretty SURE that "LD" does NOT make / manufacture any MATERIAL ... you just need to locate who "LD" buys it from
&
Approach them for a swath of MATERIAL - IMHO
COOP

Long story short, I bought a used seat for my dyna off a guy.
The part you sit on is very worn, so before I buy the seat, I call Lucky Dave's to ask what they'd charge me to recover it, they say $180.00, so I buy the seat cause its a $700.00+ seat new due to the custom color, the guy only wants $200.00 for it, which makes the recovering worth it, and its grey in color and looks cool on my Diamond Ice FXDX.
Anyhow, I call Lucky Dave's to see about sending the seat in to be reworked, and NOW they tell me that they will only recover it if I am the original owner with receipts and all that. I told em what the other guy told me and they say it doesn't matter what the other guy said. Come on, people, it my money wtf????
So, in short, if you buy a used LD seat, don't expect to get anything but a bill for a brand new seat when the used seat eventually wears a hole or gets torn by a key or something in your pocket. F#$k those guys, Ill get a Saddlemen, cause they said they could recover it for me if they had that material, but the shape is different, which makes it prohibitive, but if it were a Saddlemen, it wouldn't matter if I were the tenth owner, they would fix it for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only willing to recover a "NEW" Seat or the "original" OWNER --- refuse to reupholster a "USED SEAT" ! ? ! ? ! ?

THAT is the MOST ridiculous requirement that I have ever heard of !

(possibly this upholstery shop has been "BUSTED" with stolen goods in their possession in the past ? ) = no blame = just a past possible situation ?

There should be a tremendous number of UPHOLSTERY Shops who will be glad to recover your used / internet purchase SEAT

was the problem with just acquiring the OEM Material from the manufacturer ???
Was "LUCKY DAVE" the original seat manufacturer ? ( I've just never heard of this "brand" SEAT before )
but
I'm pretty SURE that "LD" does NOT make / manufacture any MATERIAL ... you just need to locate who "LD" buys it from
&
Approach them for a swath of MATERIAL - IMHO
COOP

Regarding the material from the manufacturer, they told me its proprietary and refused to even sell me any. Dicks. The way it was explained to me, LD IS indeed actually making the seats. Im pissed cause one of their guys told me straight up that they would fix me up, only to be told later that they would not. What is the reasoning behind it? I dont know. Perhaps they just want to try to force people to buy new seats? I am going to try a local shop at some point, just havent had the time as yet.
Surely, they could just destitch the ass portion of the seat and stitch in a replacement to avoid recovering the entire thing and losing the LD badges???

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I had my friend bring the seat to a local shop. They can remove just the worn ass pad cover and stitch in a new, matching cover with the diamond stitch for just 140.00. Itll take two weeks, but Ive still got the factory seat, and Ive got to FXDX bikes (other one has a SADDLEMEN HAHAHAHA) so no biggie. F#$k LD!!!!!

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
Well, I had my friend bring the seat to a local shop. They can remove just the worn ass pad cover and stitch in a new, matching cover with the diamond stitch for just 140.00. Itll take two weeks, but Ive still got the factory seat, and Ive got to FXDX bikes (other one has a SADDLEMEN HAHAHAHA) so no biggie. F#$k LD!!!!!
Be sure to have new foam cut out all they need is the seat pan. Mustang seats became famous, because they had a patent on foam with air bubbles trapped in the foam. That patent has run out and any upholstery can buy it. My wife was proud of her license did furniture for a reality. We would stay in a 3 bedroom condo during Myrtle Beach bike week for free. Ah the good old days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possibly concerned with recovering a stolen seat. And being caught (unknowingly) disguising those stolen seats or seats from stolen bikes. Could be a sticky situation. That would explain, new or original owner.

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
Buy a different, new seat,,, sell the white elephant used seat you got the great deal on,,, recoup some of your cash. Chalk the whole episode up to,,, "education is expensive", knowledge is priceless... amd enjoy riding the bike...
The seat is not visible while the bike is in use..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Possibly concerned with recovering a stolen seat. And being caught (unknowingly) disguising those stolen seats or seats from stolen bikes. Could be a sticky situation. That would explain, new or original owner.
Regarding that, it kinda makes sense, however, they stated that they will not recover it differently than it was originally made, so its not as though theyd change the color or scheme, even if you have the receipt, which is strange.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buy a different, new seat,,, sell the white elephant used seat you got the great deal on,,, recoup some of your cash. Chalk the whole episode up to,,, "education is expensive", knowledge is priceless... amd enjoy riding the bike...
The seat is not visible while the bike is in use..
On that you are correct, but Id have to spend over 700 for another grey seat. It looks pretty cool on the silver bike. In any case, the seat is being fixed at a local shop as we speak. Ill post a picture when its finished. Not sure if Ive got any before pictures, but this shop does everything from high end, classic car seat and interior restorations to whatever else anyone may want done, and they originally quoted 140.00, but after starting on it, the guy told me its only 51.00, so if they do well, Ill have to throw em a 50.00 tip or so just to show my appreciation!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought Saddlemen made dave's seats
Not according to Saddlemen and LD. I tried to get with Saddlemen to see if they would fix it for me and they said they would, but they dont have that color material, but if it were black, they could and they were very surprised to hear of LD not supporting their products for those of us who buy second hand, as Saddlemen will fix your seat no matter what.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts