V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, y'all recommended the Doherty kit awhile back & it finally showed up today. WOW! What a well made outfit! Very nice!! I took the K&N off & installed the Doherty (w/the vents) in around 15 mins & took a short test ride to make sure everything was honky-dory. Oh yeah, I'm very satisfied w/the performance of the kit & even w/the stock football cover on I think it looks awesome. My search for the perfect AC kit is over now & I really appreciate the recommendation - THANKS!!

VicW.

·
Registered
929 Posts
!worthless Cmon Vic, get with it

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah I got the Doherty PowerPacc very nice fit and finish. Nice kit. I do not like the blow back off the vents. You will find oil in the K+N filter at the bottom, slight problem. I have clear hoses running to the back of the filter plate, I change those every 2-3 months and clean out the air filter at the same time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okee dokee Bill, here's a picture of it w/the football cover on:

DeluxeAl, I agree; fit & finish is superb thru-out. Here's a shot of the 'EFI Super' backplate:

BTW, notice in the pic that I have my breathers routed to outside the filter, so if I get any oil in the intake I gots troubles.

VicW.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A better shot of both the backplate & how I have the breather lines routed:

VicW.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more w/the football...

VicW.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Man, That looks great , Vic.!!! ~!Awesome! ~!Awesome! ~!Awesome!

Did the fittings to vent outside come with it, or something you did???

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
DeluxeAl said:
Yeah I got the Doherty PowerPacc very nice fit and finish. Nice kit. I do not like the blow back off the vents. You will find oil in the K+N filter at the bottom, slight problem. I have clear hoses running to the back of the filter plate, I change those every 2-3 months and clean out the air filter at the same time.

Good luck.
What is the bit about the “blow back off the vents?” I'm not sure what this means.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Sleeps In Trees said:
Hey guys, y'all recommended the Doherty kit awhile back & it finally showed up today. WOW! What a well made outfit! Very nice!! I took the K&N off & installed the Doherty (w/the vents) in around 15 mins & took a short test ride to make sure everything was honky-dory. Oh yeah, I'm very satisfied w/the performance of the kit & even w/the stock football cover on I think it looks awesome. My search for the perfect AC kit is over now & I really appreciate the recommendation - THANKS!!

VicW.
Where's the best place to get a Doherty from?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill, thanks man. The pictures really don't do it justice as the machining & finish are nothing short of superb. As for the breathers, the 'Power Vents' come w/3/8" nipples, & there are two (plugged) threaded holes machined into the backplate. Now I'm not sure how the breather lines are actually supposed to run (didn't read the instructions:whistle: ), but I knew I didn't want the chance of any mist in my intake, soooo...

ibilintuc, do a search for 'blow by' here on the forum. There have been many discussions about this fairly common issue.

KenInVic, I ordered mine straight from the Doherty website: http://www.dohertymachine.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_27&products_id=23

VicW.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, the kit didn't come w/any lines or hoses of any sort...I already had the ones in the picture installed on a makeshift set-up w/the RK-3909.

VicW.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Umm........ Vic? You got bugs on the front of your tank.

Just sayin'.
<sniker>

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
Sleeps, thanks for the response. What I am trying to understand is the blow back off of the Doherty vents. Maybe I am not reading it right but it seemed that DeluxeAl was inferring that he has a problem with oil misting from the Power Vents.
--Bill

ps: the search function finds the words "blow" and "by" to be quite common.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! You should see the front of my fairing Geezer-Glide! :xhere: Daily commuter '02 w/60K on the clock dont'cha know.

...there sure ain't no flies on the nifty new Doherty kit tho! Hehehe!~!Awesome!

VicW.

·
Registered
207 Posts
ibilintuc said:
Sleeps, thanks for the response. What I am trying to understand is the blow back off of the Doherty vents. Maybe I am not reading it right but it seemed that DeluxeAl was inferring that he has a problem with oil misting from the Power Vents.
--Bill

ps: the search function finds the words "blow" and "by" to be quite common.
Exactly I have oil misting from the vents back into the air filter. On the back of the Doherty plate there are 2 small holes where the instructions said you should connect to the power vents. So I have oil mist coming back into the air filter from those 2 holes.
On the pictures I see he didn't connect the power vent into the back of the air filter plate and instead routed them out to a tee then to a hose to drain off. Good idead, may try that although I'm not crazy about the look of it, it does solve the problem.

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
DeluxeAl, did you have oil mist before adding the Doherty with Power Vents?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most all of the AC kits I've seen are designed to vent the breathers (& any associated oil mist) back into the intake, some of us just don't want that black, gooey, carbon makin' crap inside their engines...

VicW.

·
Registered
207 Posts
ibilintuc said:
DeluxeAl, did you have oil mist before adding the Doherty with Power Vents?

Not sure. When I installed the Doherty kit I think it came with clear tubes.
So when I started to see the clear tubes fill up witth oil mist I took it apart and there was oil back in my filter.
Those were great pictures of the Doherty setup with the output of the vents running to a black tube that was teed and run out the bottom. That fixes th eproblem for sure, but I'm not crazy about tube running down and across the motor.

My bike is out for a 2 1/2 R&R build talked to them about the oil blowback, looks like not much I can do. I know Doherty also has a filter that fixes the problem seems to work from what I've read. If the problem continues maybe I'll buy the Doherty kit.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I have the Doherty power vent with the optional small oil filter, the two power vents connect into this filter. You can spray it clean when you wash the bike.

Doherty does not recommend joining the lines together (like in the picture above). Tim says if you're going to do this, run two separate lines. I don't like the idea of dumping oil out on the underside of my bike or rear tire.

I don't like having to use the spacer to use the football cover...it really pushes the cover out against your leg and I find my leg resting against it.

after installing my unit, about a month ago, I noticed my bike running ruff. I reloaded my Tmax and checked everything, but could not get my bike to run smooth. I finally removed the Doherty A/C and reinstalled my AN BS, bike ran smooth again, I am not using the Doherty now. I have no idea why my bike runs ruff with the Doherty.

Do any other Filters work with the Doherty, It has offset filter mounts, so the K&N filters don't bolt on.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I installed the doherty power pacc with power vents the other day.Very nice billet aluminum unit.Nice seat of the pants power increase.I would say it is worth the extra dollars.I haven't had any oil blow out of the vents yet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts