V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I'm presently looking at the Doherty Powerpacc air cleaner setup for an EFI 88 twin cam motor... specifically an '06 FLHTCUI. I previously have knowledge of the H-D Stg. 1 air cleaner arrangement having put it on an '03 FLHRCI. I like the advantages of the inlet venturi design the Doherty powerpacc has but question the power vent arrangement.

The way I see them is that they are basically check valves not allowing atmospheric air into the crankcase. Inversely they allow the crankcase to breath unrestricted outwards to atmosphere, which is the basic function needed. In comparison, the H-D setup at least provides a small draw (or vacuum) of crankcase fumes from the restriction of the air filter element. Aside from that, I'm concerned that if the rocker box vent connections do carry oil over to these vents (for whatever reason) that the oil has no place to go but out of the vents and down on the external engine case making a mess.

Am I confused or missing something???

Thx,
Tom

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I think you're looking at it right - if your engine is inclined to puke some oil out of the heads, then the oil will come out of the Power Vents, rather than getting sucked back into the intake. This is an issue with some TCs, but not with most of them.

The vents do come with clear tubing to run down below the engine. I've only ever seen a drop or two of oil actually hit the ground with mine.

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts