V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to conduct a little survey, and see what slip-ons, or exhaust systems are subject to popping on deceleration.

I have an '02 FLHTC-I, with a stage-1 (and a PCIIIr) and have tuned the PC as best as I can per PC tech advice to reduce the popping on decel. It still does it more than I'd like.

I am running Khrome Werks HP Plus 100 slip ons. I like the exhaust tone and level, but I am getting tired of the popping on decel.

I understand mufflers without baffles are subject to popping, as will an exhaust leak (you can see straight through the these muffs). I am considering trying another set of slip-ons.

Anybody out there running V&H slip-ons on an injected bike? If so, do they pop on decel?

What has been your experience?

Thanks in advance...

Mitch

PS Why do only FI bikes seem to have this problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have that problem too... Decelration popping , worse when it is cold. I have a EVO Fuelie and now run a Screming Beagle Aircleaner with PCII custom map I designed and Hooker Slipons, full open on R side and Full close (Torque) on L side..

Had the same problems with the Samsons.
Just learning to live with it. Bike Runs great and plugs are fine looking. I get 44-46 mpg
( 55 DownHill)

SeattleMike

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have a 02 FLSTFI, PC111r, Longshots/ baffles with Arlen Ness stage1.
It does not pop at all in any condition.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I think you will find this problem with the slip-ons. The Vance and Hines (full pipe replacements) haven't heard a single problem with, yet... ;)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well time for me to chime in I guess.

I RIDE a Y2KFLHRCI.

I have the slash cut Vance and Hines Slip On's and I am running a Stage 1 W/O a PC.

Yes the bike will, in some cases, backfire. Particularily in the cold when the throttle was up then cut suddenly.Generally I don't ride like that much so the problem is limited to when I feel like causin a problem. LOL!

Personally, the sound of these mufflers is to weak for my taste. I removed the fiberglass from the baffles but still less than traditional sound.

I am currently replaceing them with a set of Sampsons. Gonna sell the V&H.

Hope that helps yer survey.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
2002 Injected Fat Boy, Vance and Hines 2:1 Pro Pipe HS, SE air cleaner, stage 1 reflash.....pops like crazy.

Chops- did you run that set-up at all w/o the PC...did it pop then?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Logical,
The setup w/o PC was Longshots/stock ECM/stock air- no popping at all.
I installed the PC with Arlen Stage1 at the same time, loaded map 008- no popping whatsoever.
I still have the ECM stock (and it will stay that way), just couldn't make up my mind until recently which way I wanted to go to compensate for air/fuel.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
OK, was hoping maybe you had the same set-up before and we could isolate the effect of the PC. I am considering adding one to my bike and hoped it might among other things help with the popping.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would say it would definitely enhance the throttle response and smoothness, but as far as popping, that would be a gamble. The SE reflash is a general range that works with the SE components, but I do see a formidable delta between slip ons (what the reflash is intended for I suspect) and your Pro-Pipe at 20% throttle/2k to 4k rpm range in the fuel table. The ignition table remains unchanged.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
logical said:
2002 Injected Fat Boy, Vance and Hines 2:1 Pro Pipe HS, SE air cleaner, stage 1 reflash.....pops like crazy.

Chops- did you run that set-up at all w/o the PC...did it pop then?
So much for my theory about no problems with non slip-on's....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses, that helps me out...

Does anyone know why carbureted bikes don't backfire, or pop on deceleration?

Thanks,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Ok, here goes...01 FLHPI, 95" Stage II kit w/ 211 cams, Hooker True Duals. Wrench "flashed"? the ECM. Like Jimmy K's bike, it will pop occasionally when cold and I let off the gas quickly. Otherwise, it
runs great.
Real new to this FI . Gotta couple questions...
Chops : Please explain the advantage of leaving the ECM stock and going w/ the PC instead.
Anybody: Is there anything special a person should do to properly maintain the FI system?
twincamzz

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
twincamzz said:

Real new to this FI . Gotta couple questions...
Chops : Please explain the advantage of leaving the ECM stock and going w/ the PC instead.

twincamzz
The advantage is saving $150 or so (assuming you are gona get the PC either way). The PC has different maps for the stock or stage 1 ECM so the net result with the PC in the loop is more or less the same. The only thing the flash does that the PC can't is raise the rev. limiter a few hundred RPM. Some also say to get the flash because it is nice to be able to pull the PC out (for warranty work or because it fails) and still have a bike that runs fairly well.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yes that about sums it up...The PC compensates dynamically for where the ECM is at in time. I felt he reflash ($150) was a short temporary fix for the time, that sentiment is amplified with the new 'race tuner' on the market now ($500+, installed by dealer), the DFO ($180) is a get what you pay for, which is not much,
and the PC, which is at rev #3 or so now, the bugs are worked out, and at $281 seems the best long term solution for my purposes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an '04 flstfi V/H stagerd bigshots, hypercharger and power commander.I have found that Hd stock set up is not rich enough. I had an coustom map made and it fixed the pop.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
05 fstfi with bigshot longs and stage one. same pipes i had on my carbed 1995 flstc. ive experienced hardly any popping with these pipes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
chiselchst said:
Does anyone know why carbureted bikes don't backfire, or pop on deceleration?

Thanks,
Mitch
Some carb'd bikes pop as well. I have a buddy with a custom and he's got a 100" Rev-Tech motor, and pops and spits flames all day long.

My bike is FI and it pops too. It's tuned perfectly, so it's something I'll have to live with. But I actually like it... makes the bike sound mean. :cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pipes are sucking in air at the port discharge at the head gasket.

New gaskets and retighten per specs will cure.

Common problem w/o regard to induction.

:D

·
Registered
657 Posts
04 TC bored out to 95".
Stock cams
S.E. Aircleaner
S.E. 2 into 1 pipes
Dealer re-flash

Used to pop like crazy until we installed the S.E. Fueler.

No popping at all now. Runs great!

Ride Safe,
Vettster

1 - 20 of 64 Posts