V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Just got a letter today from the MOCO. Letter from MOCO dated 2/28/2006 states that the Initial Customer Care Program for the 2006 Dyna has concluded.

.Inner Primary Bearing Replacement at 15K is no longer necessary.
.Trans oil change is now set at 20K
.Inner Primary oil change now set at 10K"

On the 1K service they change the trans fluid and primary oil and charge $300+ for this service to keep the warranty intact. Now has this changed? Do they no longer on the Dyna change the trans fluid and primary oil at the 1K mile service, but wait until 20K on the trans and 10K on the primary? If so this should change the cost of the 1K service by a boat load right or will the dealer just do less work for the same kind of $$$? I just want to be educated so I don't get screwed at this 1K service. Thanks from a newbie :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just had my 1000k service done along with the '06 tranny recall work. Because the recall required some fluid replacement, the cost dropped from $270 to $197, so I'm assuming they would have replaced the tranny and primary fluids anyway.

Hopefully, I'll know enough to be able to service my own by the time the 10k rolls around. These costs are prohibitive.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary_L said:
I just had my 1000k service done along with the '06 tranny recall work. Because the recall required some fluid replacement, the cost dropped from $270 to $197, so I'm assuming they would have replaced the tranny and primary fluids anyway.

Hopefully, I'll know enough to be able to service my own by the time the 10k rolls around. These costs are prohibitive.
What concerns me is that the dealers want to change all the fluids, because they make big $$$. I want to know if this "need" to change is now different on the Dyna's so I can tell the dealer that it is not necessary and for them to check with HD. Why pay more and then have the dealer change everything at the 1K and use an inferior fluid?

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's very easy to change the fluids yourself. You can save yoiurself a lot of money and get to know your bike as well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
azrider said:
It's very easy to change the fluids yourself. You can save yoiurself a lot of money and get to know your bike as well.
per HD if you don't have the dealer do the 1K, 5K, 10K etc. service your warranty is toast. So I have to pay them to do the service. I want to be knowledgable about what they are now required to do. If they no longer have to change the transfluid and primary I don't want to go in and they change everything and I pay $300 when I can go in and say before hand that on the Dyna's the trans and primary don't have to be changed and it saves me $150 off that price. Anyone know where I can find out for sure what is now needed on the Dyna's for the 1K service???

·
Registered
341 Posts
Doing the service yourself will not void your warranty no matter what your dealer says.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the law is the "Massey Ferguson Act", which is federal. It says that as long as you keep your bike/auto maintained with what the moco says to do, anyone can do the service. It will not void the warranty. Just keep the receipts for the stuff.

·
Registered
335 Posts
per HD if you don't have the dealer do the 1K, 5K, 10K etc. service your warranty is toast.
This is absolute bulltucky. The Magnuson Moss Act prevents a dealer from doing such a thing.

You DO NOT have to take it to a dealer to have the service done. You can do it yourself and it will NOT VOID THE WARRANTY.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
All fluids get changed at 1k no matter.
All sorts of nasty particles are produced while your new parts are making friends w/ each other during break-in and this flushes them away.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
I always get a shop manual. They have a list of things to do for your first service, and where these points (ie: critical fasteners) are. You get to choose your preferred lubricants, and you get to know whether or not the work was ACTUALLY done. One must become one with one's bike:beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts