V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been following this board for awhile I have the impression that most people do not like the stock Harley, it would seem that most want to upgrade to a stage whatever in an attempt to get more out of the engine. I presently drive a GL1800 and have some issues, power is not one of them, mostly comfort and the lack of support that Honda is giving to their customers and to their dealers. As a result I have chosen to not deal with them anymore and the bike is on the block and have ordered a new Ultra Classic which I should have in a few weeks. I am beginning to wonder if I made the right decision, I get the impression that a lot of people who have Harleys seem to be looking for more power, I have that now but am looking for a ride with more soul. I may be wrong but are there any out there who are happy with their bikes without the need for more power and enjoy them in their stock configuration, I guess that sounds like a stupid question. I tour and enjoy it, speed is not important, if all I wanted to do was beat people on the streets I would not buy either the Honda or the Harley. Are there any out there who are happy with the stock Harley?? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
I think you have the wrong idea. #1 people choose harley's to customize them and make them reflect their personalities, ideally no two should look exactly alike. #2 tell a guy he can add "more power" and he's gonna do it, I for example would love to get the big bore kit for my vrod, now is that a waste of money or what? Still can't help but want the baddest bike around. #3 your ultra will have all the power you ever need right off the floor. #4 I hope that you get better customer service from HD than Honda, but I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The Harley is literally a Pig when it come to moving it's big but down the road. Your 1800 probably makes 100 hp and the Harley makes about 62 I think. There is probably not that much difference in weight between them.

I know my Heritage Springer was a real slug with my big but on it. It was a Evo motor. I basically did a stage 2 kit myself on it and was real pleased with the results.

Just buy and try it.:)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Some owners keep their H/D's stock. I was with a H/D Forum member today who owns a stock '87 Low Rider. He did punch out the baffles 16 years ago. No engine work on the bike. He's happy.

However, MANY owners modify their bikes. It depends on what makes you happy.

Take a look at some of the posts in the Japanese Cruisers Forum. Some gl1800 owners have switched over to the "Dark Side" of the Force and now ride H/D. Check out their comments.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Many riders keep their bikes stock, more customize for as the others say individuality, sound/performance, bragging rights. I think you will be happy stock, if you want a little more a set of pipes and an air cleaner will probably do the trick. I have owned three ultras, two evo's that I thought were grossly underpowered and one twin cam that I thought was where it should be. My current bike is a screaming eagle road glide with the factory 1550 motor and is a blast to drive. We have quite a few texas members that can probably help you out some more. Relax you made a good choice you're going to love it !!!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn’t mean to be controversial, I know your ride should be yours and deserves some special attention, as mine will. Just had this sinking feeling that I was trading down even though my heart said otherwise. Thanks Alien for the comments, I’m sure I’ve made the right decision.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The engine in my 95 Heritage is stock,and it works for me.There are times when riding with friends & the light turns green that I'm left behind but I couldn't care less,I'm just out there enjoying myself (usually with my wife).

Did you get a chance to ride one first? You are definitely not trading down,but honestly,Harleys are not for everyone.

Good luck & let us know how things work out.
guido

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The #1 mod made to a Harley are pipes. Most folks like the Harley V-twin sound so much they want to hear more of it. I know TONS of folks that only slip-ons are the only thing they have done to there ride, many have chrome bits ect on the bike when they bought it new. The majorty of Harley owners leave the engine stock.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My 02 road king has been modified quite a bit, However, a month ago while visiting Manny up in Napa, i rented a box-stock '03 road king. Other than the lack of noise (which all new bikes suffer from) it was a blast. Rode two up maybe 200+ miles around Napa area with Manny and Peggy.

Customizing my bike is mostly for fun, stock bike is great.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Wait until you are sitting at a red light and notice the couple in the mini-van staring at you out of the corner of their eyes, the little kids in the back smiling and giving you the thumbs up. There is no feeling in the world like riding your own Harley.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2000 833 hugger that is all stock and I ride the wheels off of it. I have not done any custom work to it because I was just happy to not stall it any more. Besides, my husband does enough of that on his. I only have enough patience to do maintanence and needed repairs, after that it is time to ride!
TmrHrrs

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
TmrHrrs said:
I only have enough patience to do maintanence and needed repairs, after that it is time to ride!
TmrHrrs
BINGO!!

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...with the exception of the Stage1 (because I wanted more exhaust note) my 03 Ultra engine is stock and will stay that way. I've owned a few Sporties and this is my 3rd big twin. The basic engine has always been stock, and I could've enjoyed them more..........

·
BFFB
833 Posts
pipes are a necesity,,the rest is optional,,i ride stock engine and am perfectly happy,,,im not racing anybody, the chrome i have is functional, ie ; saddle bag rails,wind deflectors etc,,as far as customizing really the rarest bike you will ever see is a stock harley,,,most new owners ride and add as they see fit,,,sometimes second (3rd,4th) time buyers often get eveything at once

·
Registered
543 Posts
Of course you'll be happy with it. One of my buddies use to have one o them there hondayamasuckie Goldwings, and everytime he would pull up somewhere, like party or bar or whatever, people would start yelling stuff like " Hey look at the Christmas Tree ! " and " Hey, geta real bike, **** !! "

Just think, now instead of all the girls throwing rocks and yelling " get a real bike ! ". They will all be asking you for rides home. Plus offering you Taco dinners every night !!

Oh, BTW. Personally, I think the stock TC88 is way underpowered. Just my opinion of course, I could be wrong. Although most members of this Forum will agree, I am right almost 100 % of the time.

He he, HA HA HA HA

·
Registered
688 Posts
Ultra39, You bought your H.D. for a reason! Only you can explain or justify why. I don't think anyone here could argue that you made a bad choice. You said power was not a factor, Harley's are known for stump pullin' grunt power. Just don't expect to go 130 mph out of the crate. 2up and the speed limit (or 10 over) and I believe you will be happy with the performance. My 03 RKC has plenty of power(Stage 1 SE upgrade) OK I cheated a little bit. Other than that, a new mustang solo saddle and assorted leather bag goodies pretty much rounds out my buying spree. No engine upgrades needed, I have about all the power (for now) that I need. Had to put that little disclaimer in there LOL. Wether you leave your bike stock or not is all up to you in the end. There are so many aftermarket parts and stuff out there that I figure you'll fall victim to some upgrade or another soon enough! Keep us informed!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Just curious, why the hell did you wait until after you ordered (one of the most costly bikes out there=HD's) a bike to research it??? And coming from A Honda to an HD is a major diff. Did you test ride some HD's. I must have road at least a dozen diff set ups on Fatboys before I put my hard earned cash down. Go back to the dealer and get on some rides. Not that I think you won't like yer new ride, but you might like another models feel, ride, handling. Just my .02

·
Banned
999 Posts
Ultra39 said:
Are there any out there who are happy with the stock Harley?? Thanks!!!
I belong to that most exclusive segment of the Harley owners guild.

the "leave it the way they built it division".

this division only allows changes to bike if you break it , wear it out,or it falls off on the road...
only then are modifications allowable.
this segment of the harley davidson owners guild does not frown on the use of duct tape, pop rivets or tie wraps.
waxing your bike is not a prerequisite to membership.
membership benefits include lowest cost of ownership, ability to park in muddy fields, and the chance to baffle the more anal members of the guild with a cavalier attitude about the appearance of your bike.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am in all of your debt, I feel much better about my decision and hope this Ultra will be all I am expecting it to be. If I had posted this on one of the GL1800 boards I would have been fried alive, beaten to a pulp, not to mention tarred and feathered, your responses have been fair and honest, thanks. I will keep you informed as to my impressions and how I feel about the new ride, same road same wind be safe. Check this site daily and have gotten a lot of information, guess I'll have to stop calling you "Dark Siders" as I will soon be on the dark side, that's a joke for those who may be slightly serious out there. Thank you again!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts