V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the stage 1 upgrade done to my '06 Roadglide...High flow air cleaner and ECM remap...I was going to put the SE Pro II slip on's myself. Due to a another problem I called my local dealer (Harley-Davidson) and asked if they would put them on while they had it fixing the other problem (electrical)....Anyway, when I talked to the service department the guy said "I had to buy the SERT program and use it if I was going to put the SE II Pro slip on's on....At a mear $496...."

Does this dealership have a clue or am I missing something here on these boards about adding slip on's....

I don't plan to build a bigger bore and redo any of the motor just wanted the Harley sound and a little quicker throttle response....Which I got with the Stage 1 upgrade without....the SERT and she runs FINE!!!!

Does my delaer know what he's talking about or just trying to make more profit!!!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I just pyt screamin eagle pipes and the stage 1 kit with the download and my bike runs fine. I asked if I needed to put the computer on and he said no. My dealer also runs this set up on his 06 road king. I ride an 06 street glide by the way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey, as far as I know, sounds like dealer trying to make a few $$ I have the SE II's slip ons, with the stage 1 ....you do not need the SERT....someone else I am sure here will tell you the same.

These dealers, I went to one dealer to buy my bike, they said you can put slipons with out the stage 1....the other dealer, which I ended up buying from, said need stage 1. From all I read here, that is all you need.

Good luck

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
I am not familiar with the Stage 1 for the '06 models, but I will go out on a limb here. You may not need to spend $500 for the SERT, but you probably do need to richen up the mixture. That could be the PCIIIusb or the DFO, but all the bikes arrive from the factory lean, due to EPA Regs. Adding the Stage upgrade and free flowing exhaust makes this worse.

If you were changing the slipons only, then you could get away with it. Changing the A/C, Slip-ons and the ECM is a different animal. I don't think, (unless major change to the EFI for 06) your dealer is off mark.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Markfatboy05 said:

These dealers, I went to one dealer to buy my bike, they said you can put slipons with out the stage 1.........................
Good luck
You can.......

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
ASK to "see" what you are getting for $500.
A "good' dealership should have a dyno and hopefully a "good" dyno operator (most do not) ask to see dyno printouts of the gains you can expect along with the air fuel ratio reading that shows before the pipe/filter/intake mod and after. IF they cannot or fall back on "this is what we do" them wait until you can get "solid" information.

IF you have a free flowing intake and filter then going to a free flowing exhaust WILL require you to increase the A/F ratio, especially if you ride in 55 degree and lower temperatures.
REMEMBER, ALL the maps from the H-D dealer will be EPA maps, possibly adding a box that YOU can tune for your location and conditions would be much better. IF they sell you the SERT BE SURE to get the software and connections with the kit so that YOU can make changes at a later date if you wish.
Even though you specify that allot of mods are not in the plan it is still nice to be able to "self tune"

Hope this helps.

·
Lookin' for '09 FLHRC
84 Posts
'04 Road King Classic EFI
Stage 1 Air Cleaner and Re-map

Ran fine with stock mufflers

Liked to run REAL HOT do to lean condition with Samson Rolled Ovals

Changed to synthetiic oil and added DFO (less than half the cost of Sert)

Just changed to the SE PRO IIs

Runs cool and sounds like a Harley should

Less restrictive mufflers WILL add to the already present LEAN condition!

·
?????
3,531 Posts
For 06 the dealer installed map for Stage 1 is only for the air filter 29489-99c, the only mufflers you can use with this air filter and the dealer map for the 06 models are 80463-06 catalyst equiped touring mufflers. If you use that air filter and dealer map with 65115-99b SE Pro mufflers or either of the SE pro one piece mufflers your bike may be lean. Sure some will get away with it, others won't. With the 06 bike dealer maps they are EPA legal maps which take in to account the catalyst mufflers. If you go high flow air filter and non catalyst mufflers you will have to add fuel on a FI equipped bike using either a DFO, Power commander, or the SERT.

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does this dealer have a clue or am I missing something???????

I just had the stage 1 upgrade done to my '06 Roadglide...High flow air cleaner and ECM remap...I was going to put the SE Pro II slip on's myself. Due to a another problem I called my local dealer (Harley-Davidson :roflback: ) and asked if they would put them on while they had it fixing the other problem (electrical)....Anyway, when I talked to the service department the guy said "I had to buy the SERT and use it if I was going to put the SE II Pro slip on's on....At a mear $496...."

Does this dealership have a clue or am I missing something here on these boards about adding slip on's....

I don't plan to build a bigger bore and redo any of the motor just wanted the Harley sound and a little quicker throttle response....Which I got with the Stage 1 upgrade without....the SERT and she runs FINE!!!!

Does my delaer know what he's talking about or just trying to make more profit!!!

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brownjams said:
I am aware I posted this thread on another forum....I am asking the folks who are knowledgeable on EFI remapping their opinions....They probably don't all venture over to the exhaust forum....But hey thanks for posting my thread link for more information regarding this post!!!

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Please do not cross post........

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was unaware that I could not cross post....Can i not see if the EFI folks agree with this or have a suggestion for the SERT that my dealer said I needed????

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
joeschmoe said:
I was unaware that I could not cross post....Can i not see if the EFI folks agree with this or have a suggestion for the SERT that my dealer said I needed????
....the EFI folks as you refer to the Members, visit pretty much the entire board so they will see your question. You will find that most will not comment if the info you already have is valid.

Double/cross posting in the various forums will not get you anything more. If the question is about the SERT, then possibly the original post should have been in the EFI Forum, not the Exhaust. We will continue to not allow double/cross posting and in the future take a hard look at the same post re-worded.

Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just had my 06 RK Classic stage 1 done.....

I just had SEII mufflers, air cleaner, and race tuner installed this past monday after doing a considerable amount of anal homework and a lot of on line reading. I talked to several dealers and got a number of answers on this. Ive read a lot of people here say you can do this and do that...of course you can try anything you wish,and yes i may work "OK", but from all I've gathered, for 06 the race tuner is necessary if you want to get settings that are blessed by HD. I downloaded the software that came with the race tuner to see what settings are available on the software. There are specific settings for 06 for the screamin eagle and HD exhausts and they are not the same as 05. My dealer explained that other exhausts can be installed although EFI settings are "best guess" for now and you are at the mercy of the expertise of the dealer. Aftermarket set ups will eventually have specific maps but for now the proper way to do it is with the race tuner. With a few discounts and a little persuasion, I got the SEIIs, the SE Aircleaner, and the race tuner installed for about 800.00. It sounds and runs well. In addition, if I elect in the future to do any more up grading, I have the race tuner software and data link. After spending 20k on the bike, for my peace of mind, i felt best about doing what the manufacturing is blessing for now and not taking any chances.

Randy

·
Registered
16 Posts
One more thing

The catylist mufflers were removed and the SE mufflers are non catylist. The HD race tuner has the maps for the non catylist SE mufflers as well as the catylist touring mufflers, which are dramatically more expensive

Randy

·
Registered
32 Posts
does dealer know what hes talking about

Phuckno, most do not know enough to get in out of the rain far dram anything else. ROTFFLMAO

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have an 06 streetglide and got three different answers from three different dealers. the funny thing was two of the dealers were owned by the same person and regularly have people going from one to the other. i went with aftermarket slip ons, power commander, and the screamin eagle air cleaner ( only because the ness big sucker was not available for the 06 ). only time will tell what the correct answer is.h

1 - 18 of 18 Posts