V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I'm new to this board... And I've been Noticing that everyone seems to be talking about there year 2000 Bikes alot... which i cant relate to....
i thought there would be alot more people driving older 80's bikes and stuff...
I actually don't own a Harley yet... I'm 24 and i dont have the money for a new one.. .. I'm looking to take an old one and fix it up a bit... anything...I just need a Bike... I'de like to have a 78 or up Low rider. why? cause the bike i've always looked at all these years and wanted is a 78 lowrider... One of the guys i work with drives one....and i love it...

i dont think i'm going to find the bike i want though... I cant spend anymore than like $3000.00 ...i am mechanic..so i plan to take it apart and fix it for next summer.... Oh well...

Anyone here ride older bikes???

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Re: Re: does anyone ride anything older than a 1990

wyodude said:
Yep. My OL is a '65 :D :D :D
Dirty old man!!! :D

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
harrington,

You might find a basket case for the amount of money that you have to spend. I once owned a 1976 FXE that I purchased with pieces in a baskets, buckets and bags. Turned out in a few months to be a very nice dependable ride. Suprised when I went searching for another scooter, I was able to sell the 76 for more than I had in it, not counting labor of course. This was about 10 years ago, the fellow still has the bike and rides it quite regular. Hope that you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
384 Posts
harrington:

I still ride my 1979 FLH. Had it for over twenty years and despite all the AMF slamming it's been good to me. Don't get me wrong, had to "nurse" it home more than a few times, but the old boy was on the truck for the first time last year when it puked a pickup coil. Other than that always made it home. Been on several long distant rode trips and it just keeps putt'n. You definitely have to tinker(and rebuild) more with the older bikes to keep em running,but I also believe you can get some personal satisfaction from doing so too.

I got a new FLHTCI ordered for myself. I fiqure after all these years I deserve it. I'm also disappointed on how the shops are not stocking the old stuff anymore. I kid you not, I went to two HD shops and could not find a master link for my chain! Finally got one at a smaller independent place.

It may be hard to find what you want in that price range, but don't give up! About ten years ago a bro of mine left his 79 Low Rider go for $2500. I could have killed him! The scoot was decent and the dude that bought it has had it parked since, what a shame. You may get a basket case and work up from there. Them old Shovels can still turn a few heads!

Good luck to ya

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I've got a '79 Honda Trail 70 I just might let you have for $3K.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Re: Re: Re: does anyone ride anything older than a 1990

harleyhog said:

Dirty old man!!! :D

harleyhog, when I saw wyo's post, I thought to myself: dang, he beat me to a good post.:D

I ride a '58 model. blonde and blue. High maintainance though.

Ooops, I hope Lisa doesn't read this post.

Seriously, harrington, the H/D Forum has members with all kinds of bikes, including several older models. Watch the posts. You'll see.

Now for the bad news, I don't think you're going to find even a "basket case" for $3K. 'sorry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey I know how you feel. A year and a half ago I went looking to buy a Harley for about the same amount of cash you got. About the only thing I could find were a bunch of beat up ironhead sportys. I ended up buying an old Goldwing. It is a nice ride but a long ways from a Harley. Keep looking, eventually you will find what you are looking for if your patient enough. A few years ago I had a chance to pick up a basket case shovelhead. Hardtail frame, two sets of forks, motor was supposed to have been just rebuilt, all it needed was rubber and wiring. Unfortunately, I didn't have even close to the $2000 he wanted for it. I still kick myself for that one.

Good luck with your search,

·
Registered
177 Posts
Harrington, Be careful about getting a basket, you can spend alot of time and money on parts ect. Save just alittle more and get a complete running scoot. I have built a few older scoots and know the fustrations involved. Good luck on whatever you decide.

·
963 Posts
Take the 3 grand and you can buy a one year old *** cruiser! LOL Buy and ride and save for a real bike! I shouldn't say that, I am kidding about the real bike deal. You could buy a very good japper and ride without spending any more cash, enabling you to save for the dream bike. Just a thought.Weird how 3g's will put you in a nearly new off brand, but won't even get you a complete basket-o- parts from a Harley! Later-Rob

·
Registered
688 Posts
My first HD was a basket case. 74 Sporty, put a year of time and $3000 dollars into it. Learned a lot, couldn't help but learn a lot. If that's all you got,($) go with what you know. Wrenchin' on your basket will teach you to be humble and proud at the same time. Lots o' luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Guys ,
Lots of Good comments.. :)
I think I'm Still going to look for an Old Basket case :) I cant imagine driving anything else but a harley...a old one too... I'm not a fan of the new ones....I like the Real deal retro :) i've been drooling on my buddy's Harley since i was 14 years old...and i've watched him every year spend a chunk of change on an upgrade....and now 10 years later it's the coolest bike around.... :) in my opinion. he wants to get a fancy paint job....But i said he should leave the original paint..
:)

there is somthing about taking a peice of crap and making it something awsome....its way more satisfying then throwing 25,000 dollars at somthing...
although with that said....I'm shure my buddy has that much into his bike by now..... But it's a slow progression :)

thanks again guys
I needed the pep talk :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey there:
I know it's not what your're looking for,but there's a 1979 Sporty on ebay right now for like $2500. Like 17k on the speedo with stock parts included. Seems to have a tranny issue.It's in Michigan I think. Could be noth'n but BS, but might be worth a look? Gotta start somewhere and could always resell.
Good luck, and I like the way ya think!

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've also noticed a lot of people getting new bikes....Nothing wrong with that at all. I ride a 91 Fatboy, I picked it up for $10K, couldn't beat the deal and I've always liked the Fat Boy look, also I try to do all of my own wrenching with the help of the service manual and I honestly feel a lot more confident wrenching on my "older" Harley then a brand new one. I think I would be afraid I would mess something up on a new one.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
PasadenaJim, Went with the 59 model myself. She's a beauty too! Lotsa nice curves. To tell ya the truth though she would probably say that her rider was very high maintenance!:D

Wyodude; Very nice new signature!

Harrington; See if you can get your hands on the Boston edition of the WantAd magazine. If you Private Message me with your address I'll even spend the 2 bucks and buy ya one. There are tons of Sportys in there and the prices are right. I bought mine (a '95 1200) last year for $4100 in Florida, spent $470 shipping it to Mass, only spent about $500 in maint (tire, tranny leak, small stuff, etc) drove it for about 9 months and 7K miles and sold it for $4500. Give me a buzz if you're interested:Dennis

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
fourhour said:

Wyodude; Very nice new signature!

Dennis,

Thanks! Its actually a bumpersticker I picked up in Florida. Gotta work on my scanning skills though :rolleyes:

wyo

·
Registered
297 Posts
I picked up my 1979 Low Rider about 2.5 years ago for $5,000.00 a good deal considering is really wasn't a basket case, just needed a little attention. The previous owner had the engine work done, all I needed to do was a few cosmetics, hubby re-did the wiring and now I have an excellent bike.

As for your question, none of our bikes are newer than 1986. I also much prefer the looks of the older bikes, they're classics.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I still ride my 58 Pan.Ive had it since 1970.The kid has my 74 superglide chopper.Bought it new in 74.My pan is still the best bike Ive ever had.Panheads Forever.Rocky

1 - 20 of 46 Posts