V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone knows who make the new HD synthetic oil? The reason I am asking is because HD had tested Mobil 1 V-Twin and wanted Mobil to make a synthetic for Harley and Mobil agreed. However, Mobil wanted a little line on the back of the bottle that says made by Mobil Oil Company but H-D said no way and that is where it was left. Now I see HD synthetic and was wondering since a lot of you guys get in the inside scoop, if anyone knew who’s making this oil for Harley.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
It almost has to be Mobil since they have a tri-synthetic just like HD is touting. Amsoil is going to buy a bottle of it and test it ASAP. I will find out a little later who makes it for sure. Another reason Amsoil is going to test it is so they can determine if they also want to make the tranny recommendation for their 20W 50.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sunco makes the original oil for HD. Maybe they also make the phony stuff, too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm guessing too but I'll go with ricky. I think it is Sunoco since the two companies have enjoyed a long and prosperous partnership for many years.

It is nice that the synthetic can be used in the tranny and clutch areas too. It cuts down on storage in my garage.

I will admit that I am not that interested in buying it at $8.50 a bottle though. Especially since the change intervals will remain the same.

Regards.

·
Registered
450 Posts
ONE MORE POINT-- I was talking wiht the Master Mechanic at my dealership and he still maintains that automobile designed synthetics do not work well in motorcycles because they are too slippery and don't provide the intended value.

I am sure that this comment wil really HEAT UP the discussions again but what the heck it's cold up north and we need something to debate.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Just heard from a HD dealer mechanic in the Atlanta area who was eyeballing a memo from Harley that says Citgo is making the new synthetic oil. Citgo supposedly also has been making the HD 360 dino oil since late summer of 01. They replaced Sunoco.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I imagine some of the HD mechanics are having trouble understanding how they can now say that synthetic oil is good for a HD after years of denial. I have a HD mechanic friend with over 35 years experience rebuilding HD engines. I asked him about his thoughts on abnormal wear on the roller bearings that HD dealers have always said will occur with synthetic oil because it is too slippery. He said he has seen plenty of bearing problems and none of them were using synthetic oil, most using HD oil. He feels that this type of abnormal wear is due to using too thick of an oil in cooler weather and over contaminanted oil. This causes the roller bearings not to spin properly and causing flat spots. Any time someone uses the term too slippery be suspious of the motivation or possibly the ignorance to technology and logic.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I don't know of anyone running the Castrol synthetic oil in Harleys, but I don't see why it wouldn't work fine in them. Castrol syntec though doesn't measure up to the Mobil products and Amsoil or Redline.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
most oils are very similar and will do a good job for you. Castrol is a big player in Europe and their synthetic oil over there is most likely a real one. The one they use here in the states is a hydro cracked processed 100% petroleum oil like most other companies make and will work good for you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
george douglas said:
most oils are very similar and will do a good job for you. Castrol is a big player in Europe and their synthetic oil over there is most likely a real one. The one they use here in the states is a hydro cracked processed 100% petroleum oil like most other companies make and will work good for you.
As George Douglas said:

Castrol Syntec is a petroleum based "synthetic" oil. Amsoil is PAO (poly alpha olephin) based while Redline or Motul is Ester Polyol based synthetic (real synthetics). Mobil 1 tri-synthetic formulation, I believe is a mix of PAO, Ester and alkylated Naphta if I am not mistaken. Since Castrol Syntec is usually sold at about the same price of Mobil 1, I see no reason on spending the money on the (arguably inferior) Castrol Syntec.

Castrol RS is also real synthetic oil (mostly sold in Europe). You can get Castrol RS in BMW car dealers ($9/quart) since it is the only oil/lubricant approved for the BMW M cars (M3, M5 and also the Z8).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just FYI - As far as cost I just purchased 6 cases of Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 oil from my local distributor for $6,56 per quart, $39.34 per case! Call your local distributor and see what they will do for you:

http://www.prod.exxonmobil.com/channelpartners/

As for Porsche, the Turbo Porsche AWD comes from the factory with Mobil 1, as does the Viper.

Oh thanks AWDNUT, great post. BTW what is your AWD? I have a 5.9 Jeep Grand full time 4x4 and a 3000GT VR4, twin turbo AWD too.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
awdnut,
You sure have done your homework on oils. The BMW's that you mentioned, you stated that Castrol was the only approved oil for them. Does this mean that if you use an equivialent oil that the warranty would be voided?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Castrol RS

George:

The reason BMW are only approving the Castrol RS is most probably related to the newer (E46) M3 engine failure as can be seen on the following link:

http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm

BMW is even specific to specify the use of 10W-60 viscosity

BMW has been replacing a lot of engine for rod bearing failure resulting the extension of the manufacturer warranty on the newer M3 but the also specifically approve only the 10W-60 Castrol RS.

Guys, sorry for the non V-rod content here.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I see where they are recommending only, not demanding, a specific oil and viscosity. I didn't think that they would demand because if they did during the warranty period they would have to furnish the oil free according to the FTC. HD always recommended, not demanded, but several people felt that they had to only use HD oil to honor the warranty. BMW is sure using a wierd viscosity rating. Toyota just extended the warranty on engines that might experience sludging of the motor even though people change their oil at the prescribed intervals. They have a design problem also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts