V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my 17x6 solid stock rear wheel on my 06 FXSTS to a 18x 5.5 60 spoke with a 200/50/18 Met. 880 tire. My question is do I need any special configuration for the hub? I know it's a 3/4" axle, just want to know if I need some kind of special offset for the hub. I called DNA wheels and they have not had the chance to mount anything on the new 06 models with the new 200mm set up. Has anyone changed their rear wheel for any of the new 200mm bikes? If so, what size did you go with. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just make sure it is a Softail hub and you should be okay. Hub out of an FLH or FXD will not work. If you are buying new most wheel manufactures will build wheels with the right hubs in them. Buying used you need to make sure in the fitment list for that wheel it list a Softail. Any other hub will have the wrong off set/backspace. Also make sure it is for the same year range (2000-2006) pre 2000's use different bearings/spaceres and so on.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biker_unknown said:
Just make sure it is a Softail hub and you should be okay. Hub out of an FLH or FXD will not work. If you are buying new most wheel manufactures will build wheels with the right hubs in them. Buying used you need to make sure in the fitment list for that wheel it list a Softail. Any other hub will have the wrong off set/backspace. Also make sure it is for the same year range (2000-2006) pre 2000's use different bearings/spaceres and so on.
Are you pretty confident with that? I have called a few places and no one seems to know for sure. I'm afraid to order the wheel and not have it fit once I get it. If does not fit I still own it. Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
152 Posts
Doesn't an 06 use a 1 in axle?

·
Registered
26 Posts
American Wire Wheel makes all their wheels for 2006 fitments. I just talked to them a few minutes ago about a pulley spacer for some other post, and I asked them about it but I am just not getting around to posting your answer. Give them a call they can, at least they said they make fitments for 2006 models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts