V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy this pipe for my bike, but am afraid of the quaility. Has anyone put one on and not had any unsightly discoloration? If so, how did you do it? What fuel management system are you using or any special proceedures to follow?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Welcome to the world of Thunderheader. The unsightly discoloration just adds character to an already ugly exaust system.

·
I love BIG headlights...
386 Posts
Buy the black ones they turn gray instead of blue! But they sure do work! My son has them on his Dyna with a 95" kit S&S 570G and SE custom heads. The bike is damn fast!

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Sorry champ. I got 500 miles on my TH and they've already turned. But I got the chrome heat shields. Gotta get the heat shields. :chopper:

·
What did I do now?
965 Posts
fxdl raw said:
Welcome to the world of Thunderheader. The unsightly discoloration just adds character to an already ugly exaust system.
Amen Brother

They might perform, but I can't stand the look.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Has anyone had the jet-hot coating put on? I wonder if they still would change color then?

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
RK05 said:
Has anyone had the jet-hot coating put on? I wonder if they still would change color then?
That would solve the problem. Jet Hot is awesome. I am going to send a new D&D Borzilla to Jet Hot before installing it on my bike. Even though it will still have heat shields over the coating the pipe below will still be nice to look at with no change in the silver color if I wanted to run it without shielding.

Coatings are where its at.

BTW. Where is the best place to buy the Borzilla? I have only seen prices on it in the 600 range and I would think someone out there is selling it for the 500+ range. The Fatcat is going for that and it is the same pipe only slightly smaller in diameter for smaller displacement motors. I need the larger flow for my 107.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
steveg56 said:
I want to buy this pipe for my bike, but am afraid of the quaility. Has anyone put one on and not had any unsightly discoloration? If so, how did you do it? What fuel management system are you using or any special proceedures to follow?
500 miles on my new Thunderheader, and it is all blued and golded.

But that is what they make heatshields for........cover up all that nasty.

Best sounding, best performing exhaust for a Harley............in my opinion.

Steve

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
MaineUltraClassic said:

Steve
@gree:
In our opinion. :cheers:

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
All this talk is too vague.....

.....Most Harley exhausts discolor with the new, hotter running engines, that is why they have heat shields.

In the case of the Thunderheader, the heat shields are sold seperately, so people raise them as an issue.

If you get the heat shields, you will not notice the discoloration of the pipe underneath. I have ridden mine (tuned and un-tuned) for over 15,000 miles. It looks awesome. I have the heat shields. I have never had to do anything but wash the bike to keep it clean.

When I had Kerker pipes and the crossover, I did have to use Blue Job to remove some discoloration. I have never had to do this with my Thunderheader 2:1.

Other people on this forum have seen pics of my scooter, and they can tell you that, although I ride her plenty, she is shiny and clean.

Vance and Hines pipes have an interior pipe and a heat shield on the outside. This is why the ProPipe looks so thick to a bystander. It is a pipe with a heat shield on the outside. The same is true for the very popular Vance and Hines Ovals that so many people run. If they did not have heat shields, no telling how they would look. V&H know this and only sell them with heat shields.

Of course, if you prefer a black pipe, this is simply not an issue. If you ceramic coat any pipe, you will not notice discoloration....

:beatdh:

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MaineUltraClassic said:

Steve
I have one of the Arlen Ness Thunderheaders and Arlen no longer makes em, so I have not been able to find any heat sheilds yet. I got this from a friend with no heat sheilds and was trying to figure out the best way to keep the pipe from discoloring with no heatsheilds.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
MaineUltraClassic said:

Steve
About 500 miles on Maine's old Thunderheaders. They were already blued for me though! :duh?: I cleaned them up a little bit before I put them on (BlueJob, works pretty good!). But then I have the heatshields too, so have no clue what they look like underneath! :brows:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Rock Steady said:
@gree:
In our opinion. :cheers:
Agreed. From what I understand the Fatcat and the Fatcat Borzilla (depending on your CI) is by far the best pipe out now. Not that the Thunderheader is not good, it is not as good as D&D's pipes.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Fatb0y said:
Agreed. From what I understand the Fatcat and the Fatcat Borzilla (depending on your CI) is by far the best pipe out now. Not that the Thunderheader is not good, it is not as good as D&D's pipes.
No one seems to have dyno data to that effect, including D&D, matching it up against a Thunderheader. Ditto for a ProPipe. f you have some, please post it. There was a "shootout" last year that included the Fat Cat, but did not include the Thunderheader or the ProPipe, for example.

But, Doc (HDMD88) and GRock both said the Thunderheader was a better pipe for performance than the Fat Cat. That's the only information I have. You could also ask people like Friday9 (I think that's the handle) or Ohiomotoxer what they think.

Again, if you have hard data to support that claim, please post it.

:beer:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
drdevon said:
No one seems to have dyno data to that effect, including D&D, matching it up against a Thunderheader. Ditto for a ProPipe. f you have some, please post it. There was a "shootout" last year that included the Fat Cat, but did not include the Thunderheader or the ProPipe, for example.

But, Doc (HDMD88) and GRock both said the Thunderheader was a better pipe for performance than the Fat Cat. That's the only information I have. You could also ask people like Friday9 (I think that's the handle) or Ohiomotoxer what they think.

Again, if you have hard data to support that claim, please post it.

:beer:

I know for fact on my bike that the Thunderheader choked my bike and robbed it of HP and Torque. When my bike was dyno tuned the tuner had a Thunderheader, D&D Fatcat Borzilla, and my BSS. All three were tested. For my particular build (107CI) the thunderheader is restrictive. The BSS made better numbers. The Borzilla made the best of all with an added 6HP and 3 Torque. That is a fact. I only have copies of the two runs between BSS and D&D Fatcat because the Thunderheader was insignificant to me and I didn't care to have a copy. I am sure it runs and performs nicely on anything 103 and below, but it is not the best pipe for larger applications.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Fatb0y said:
I know for fact on my bike that the Thunderheader choked my bike and robbed it of HP and Torque. When my bike was dyno tuned the tuner had a Thunderheader, D&D Fatcat Borzilla, and my BSS. All three were tested. For my particular build (107CI) the thunderheader is restrictive. The BSS made better numbers. The Borzilla made the best of all with an added 6HP and 3 Torque. That is a fact. I only have copies of the two runs between BSS and D&D Fatcat because the Thunderheader was insignificant to me and I didn't care to have a copy. I am sure it runs and performs nicely on anything 103 and below, but it is not the best pipe for larger applications.
Yes, a Boarzilla is made for a larger build. Saying a pipe is better for your particular build (and mentioning the 107 CI) seems so very different than saying "From what I understand the Fatcat and the Fatcat Borzilla (depending on your CI) is by far the best pipe out now. Not that the Thunderheader is not good, it is not as good as D&D's pipes."

Again, D&D does not have data about their FatCat head to head with a Thunderheader, not on any build. The Boarzilla is a larger model which is sold on American Ironhorse bikes, for example, with their larger cubic inch motors. no pipe is a cure-all, but the FatCat is meant for the 88" or 95" motors, and there is no data to support it does better than a Thunderheader on and 88" or 95" (or 80", either) motor. I am not aware of someone trying a FatCat on a 107" motor, and D&D tells you to use the Boarzilla for such an application, as well.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Thunderheader

My black thunderheader looks the same as new after the first 1000 miles.

As for perforance, I have no dyno numbers for PCIII, big sucker, TH TC88,but I have discovered a new whoop-ass gear, and it is called 3rd. 2500-4500 rpms in 3rd with this setup means you've just opened a big can of it. As far as I could tell, the bike, as stock from the factory, did not have this gear.

-bluelab

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
bluelab said:
My black thunderheader looks the same as new after the first 1000 miles.

As for perforance, I have no dyno numbers for PCIII, big sucker, TH TC88,but I have discovered a new whoop-ass gear, and it is called 3rd. 2500-4500 rpms in 3rd with this setup means you've just opened a big can of it. As far as I could tell, the bike, as stock from the factory, did not have this gear.

-bluelab
LOL

Ain't that the Truth.

I have that same setup, and you get 3rd gear above 3000rpm upto 5000 rpm and it just flies. Pretty much any gear with that setup above 3000 rpm and you are hauling a$$.

Steve

·
Banned
871 Posts
steveg56 said:
That's why they make heat shields. Almost any exhaust will discolor eventually, although proper dyno-tuning will minimize it. I don't mind the color change, since I actually ride my bike rather than park it and show it off. Chrome don't get ya home. :)

·
Banned
871 Posts
Fatb0y said:
Yes, the T-header will rob some of the MAX torque and HP, but that's fine since it's not designed for racing or dyno shootouts. It's made to put the most torque in the most usable rpm range (idle to about 4000). Bikes bikes that have very high HP numbers don't get there until over 5000 rpm. How many people ride regularly in that range? Not many. High HP numbers just aren't practical for a street bike, IMHO. What you want is TORQUE! -2$en#e-

By the way, the T-header can be tuned to work with just about any engine, so it will work great on bigger engines if you take the time to tune it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts