V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My friend has a big garage. I do all the tweaks and repairs of my Sportster in there. He wants to upgrade his garage. He plans on buying a motorcycle jack. I came across a scissor lift table while I was searching. http://www.pentalift.com/us/lift-tables/prodinfo-ir-series-lift-table.php . It can carry 1000 lb weight and fit the dimensions. I think lift tables will be easier than jack to work on. What are your thoughts on this?
Need your suggestions.

·
Administrator
11,239 Posts
You would be better off with a regular motorcycle lift. The one you linked sit 7" off the ground and has no ramp. Also the table length will not be long enough so you would have to extend it. I would bet it also cost more than a better designed motorcycle lift.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
You have listed a lawn mower shop lift.

I have both but use the lift more than the jack.

But get a motorcycle lift. There are plenty of threads on motorcycle lifts if you search. Mine is the cheap one from Harbor freight, never a problem with the jack or the lift.

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Lots of folks on the 4 HD forums I frequent have the HF lift. I have not heard a single problem reported.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Lots of folks on the 4 HD forums I frequent have the HF lift. I have not heard a single problem reported.
This lift doesn't look like something I would want to load by myself. It is right narrow. My feet would prolly be off the tarmac. Hmmm.

tarheel

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have the MC table lift and a motorcycle jack, both have their benefits, and their drawbacks. Front tires I usually do on the jack, most everything else I do on the MC table lift at a convenient height, including the occasional waxing.

You will find more uses for the MC table lift than you can imagine once you have it. I work on generators, lawn mowers and everything else that I am too lazy to pick up, but don't want to kneel to work on.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
The jack I have used since '98 is quick to use and put away when work is completed. If your cement floor is clean, flat and smooth with enough space the bike/jack can be spun around, moved so you can work with sunlight. If work doesn't get done you can move the jack out of the way with the bike on it.
For me a table lift would take up space and be something else to bang ankles on...

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 2 Handy lifts in my garage, bought them both used on CL for less than the HF units. I ditched the wheel clamps & use condor chocks secure & stable.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Had a HF that I used with my '08 Ultra. Never had a problem with it. I will buy another as soon as I am ready to start on the Panhead.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
IMHO the lift is way better. You can stand and bring it up to the proper height.
But it is kinda a 3 pc. set-up.
You need the lift and also something like this - https://www.truegether.com/listing.html?id=USER.976110f2-e326-4791-957d-5adc364d82fc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyfTK4NGO2QIVTFqGCh2ANQipEAkYAyABEgLngvD_BwE

Also you need a good wheel clamp on it.

One thing about lifts is they can get pretty slippery so extra care is needed when putting bike on and off. Like your front brake might not help much and your feet may slip if you're straddling the bike.

If it's going to be up there for a while, like you're doing a build, you can make a wooden table at the height of your choice.

·
Gearhead
1,110 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts