V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys:

I am trying to prove my friend wrong. He thinks that the Sportster is a girly bike. I have told him that it is NOT and even explained the lineage of the Sportster :D. I am going to print this out when I have a enough responses and see what he says. Besides,I do not know where he gets the the cajones to say anything, he DOESN"T OWN A BIKE :eek: . Your imput is greatly appreciated.

DOC526

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
You can put a man on a Sporty and you have a man and his bike.

You can put a sissy on a Chopped Panhead and you have a sissy and his bike.

The MAN makes the bike and anyone who thinks that a bike can make a man is in for some dissapointment.

When someone is self assured of his own manhood, he does not give a rats ass what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think that is all you need to settle your argument.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. Thanks for your inputs. I know I am assured about myself. I just think that he has penis envy.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
There are people that choose a bike meerly for the image it projects. It's kind of like choosing a pit bull dog instead of a terrier. But when you think about it, the image reflection to others shouldn't have any behring on the circumstances that make one better suited for you than the other. I ride a Dyna by choice and there are alot of people that consider it less than a macho man's bike. Believe me, it's really not so bad having people think that I ride a lesser bike. So far it hasn't wiped the smile off of my face while I'm crossing the country on it. I don't see any problem with whatever I choose to ride. I feel a lot better with a bike that I ride because it best suits my needs and and personal preference than to choose one just to project an image to fit someone elses preconceived stereotyping. It's just too funny sometimes! LOL

Later,

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
doc526,

There you have it doc, all the answers you need for your (girly friend)
Ride what makes you happy, no need to be concerned about what the
non- riding yo-yo's say. You will not change their minds anyway.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Some really good responses here, but, what the fu(k is a "girlie bike" anyways? Remember the 60's and 70's when XLCH's were the choice of the hardline bikers? The engine was 900cc and I do believe they were actually 883's, correct me if I'm wrong please. The old farts had the baggers! And HH, I'm glad that you and other women choose to ride bigger bikes. A friend of mine just picked up her RoadKing recently. As for me, opportunity put me on my Sportster and yes I am going bigger, but will not part with the Sporty. And Doc, tell him to fu(k off. He has to EARN his opinions!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
HarleyHottie said:
I ride a Fat Boy...does that make it a girly bike?
I went to the MD state HOG rally, I saw three big black ladies, all had pearl white fatboys. I thought they were cool.

wyo

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the Sporty 883 because: A. It fits me (although I already want a bigger bike with more power) and B. The price was right.------Sure, I heard all the "girlie bike" sh*t, and the "Harley Skirtster"----whatever....I love my bike. All the cracks were typically coming from people who didn't even have bikes. So to hell with them. Nobody races big bikes on dirt tracks, do they? (!) Ride what you like, love what you ride.

And women on bigger bikes are sexy as hell! (Maybe just a little sexier than the ones who ride Sportsters) :)

Rob in NJ

·
old timer
516 Posts
I'm just an old guy...I have joked with a lot of my brothers over the years about their Sportsters being girlie bikes. They laughed and we remained friends. Some of them were 96" Sportsters that would eat Big Twins for breakfast...that didn't stop me from poking fun at them nor did that joking cause any ill feelings.

They didn't need my approval to validate their manhood...I wasn't offering the ribbing as nullification of their manhood.

If you take all that $hit seriously, you need to reach down in your pants and find out who you are.

I get a lot of smack talked about me from my FXR Riding friends cause I have a Softail...it is a fast Softail and they only talk smack when we are hanging out...good natured trash talking is part of the lifestyle...

I know who I am and what I am...do you? If so quit worrying about some joking and if he seems serious, kick his a$$ for screwing with you...that'll solve that...but then there'll be another guy along the way who will talk smack and you could be 'sore-knuckled' before you get past the teasing.

I wore a pink shirt one time and some nit-wit said it was a sissy shirt, I laughed at him for being a fool. I am 6'6" and 275 lbs...do you really think wearing a pink shirt makes me a sissy.....LOL?

manny

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
doc526, you've gotten some pretty objective responses so far.

I enjoy Sportsters. They are fun bikes. Are they "girlie" bikes?

NO!

You're right. Where does this guy get the nerve to denigrate what someone choses to ride? He doesn't even have a bike.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
A fairly well known fact amongst the initiated is that a 1200 Sporty in stock trim will whip the snot out of any likewise stock Big Twin.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Then you throw your leg over the new Firebolt and smoke all of the competition (including just about all *** bikes too).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I am very happy with my sporty and my manhood. I was just courious what your take is. I think it is time to close this thread. LIVE LONG AND RIDE HARD.

doc526

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm a little late here, but may I just add my .02 worth.

I don't understand that whole thing about sportsters being girl bikes, I hear that sometimes and do see more women on sportsters than men, but does that make them a girlie bike? I don't think so, first off the seat seat height is much higher than say a heritage or low rider, women as a whole are usually shorter than men, making this bike harder for a shorter women to handle unless it's lowered. Then there is the fact that they aren't as well balanced as some of the other models. So why do people still insist on calling them girlie bikes is beyond me.

By the way I have ride a Low Rider and love it. It sits low and is so well balance, making it an easy bike to ride. I guess I took the sissy way out and skipped the girlie(not) Sportster and went for an easier bike to ride!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks HD girl. I appreciate the .02,

doc

·
Registered
544 Posts
I can relate.

Trust me I understand what you are going through; I am also catching it with my bike. You know; "Like what do you call the new Harley V-Rod a Kawasaki". But it's all in good fun and everyone I've meet through the local HOG chapter has been great.

At the last parade (4th of July) one of the members was telling everyone how they had to keep moving to get the air over the fins to keep their bikes cool and I went up to him look puzzled and told him I didn't understand, well he started to explain until he realized mine was water cooled and laughed at me and said yea right. So you should be able to give it as well as take it, hang with them.

Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts