V-Twin Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
These new high tech engines are going to end up driving people away from Ford and Chevy. Seriously have you looked at them closely? No way they last for the 200K people have become accustomed to. Chain driven oil pump has to win the Darwin award. What does it save in fuel? 2 gallons over the life of the vehicle?
USED I find some pretty good deals sitting in shipping containers around AZ that some snowbird bought waiting to retire and died before putting any milage on it...

As far as trucks.. I bought this one to use as parts doner to convert my 71 Blazer to cummins, it sat under a tarp 10 years before I talked widow into sellin it to me.. damn thing fired right up with a new battery and was in such good shape I didn't have the heart to cut it up.. now they are ,"classic" and prices are crazy so I just keep drivin it.. did have to replace the windshield wiper bushings and rebuilt injection pump when it started leaking otherwise just keep tires on it and run it down some of the roughest roads in AZ before its gotta go 4x4 down the 3.2 miles of sand and volcanic rock that are my driveway daily since I moved outa town usually pullin a trailer loaded as heavy as 12k lbs
Got no use for computerized power plants myself..

Attachments

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Those 12v Cummins are awesome motors.

My gf had one. The motor was the only thing great. The rest of the truck was a piece of junk. Especially the trans.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Those 12v Cummins are awesome motors.

My gf had one. The motor was the only thing great. The rest of the truck was a piece of junk. Especially the trans.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
I had a 97 with a 12v, AWESOME engine....the rest of the truck was garbage. Owned it for 4 years, went through 6 tranny's at there cost. Got fed up with it and converted it to an NV5500 manual trans (end problem), rebuilt the whole front end twice in 150K and it couldn't hold an alignment to save it's life.

I toyed with the idea of puttin a 12v in Red (my F350), but then the low sulfur crap came out and diesel got stupid expensive. You have to run boosters in the fuel now to make them run decent, just not worth the hassle anymore to me. I'll build a stump pulling 460 instead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a 97 with a 12v, AWESOME engine....the rest of the truck was garbage. Owned it for 4 years, went through 6 tranny's at there cost. Got fed up with it and converted it to an NV5500 manual trans (end problem), rebuilt the whole front end twice in 150K and it couldn't hold an alignment to save it's life.

I toyed with the idea of puttin a 12v in Red (my F350), but then the low sulfur crap came out and diesel got stupid expensive. You have to run boosters in the fuel now to make them run decent, just not worth the hassle anymore to me. I'll build a stump pulling 460 instead.
I've got that one turned up as much as can for manual injection she gets down the road fast enough to walk alota gas rigs including my 454 powered 86 chevy dually (no its not stock either) the 1st gens are crap as far as the trucks go they share everything body wise back to the 1972 trucks but metal is thinner the diesels have larger heavier frames than gas trucks and D60 front and D70 rear axles, electrical is a joke its all still 1972 with blade fuses insteada glass etc.. I have a FULLER FSO6406 with transfer case outa an MD utility truck on standby for when the gerag 5 dies but so far its holding up... I overfill it 1 quart on oil to keep 5ths forward bearing lubed so its still going good I run I-10 bout everyday between Tucson/Phoenix with either tilt deck hauling other rigs I'm sellin or buyin or my 3 axle equipment trailer usually 80-85 mph right now 108 degrees.... Cool part with 1st gen 12v is that mechanical pump, truck will run nomatter what as long as gut the shutdown solenoid (use cable on manual shutdown lever,) and can spin the motor... I've used a bunch of em in milsurplus rigs I build and sell ... This one isn't too smokey if I keep my foot outa it but it will pull a 14.3 quarter mile (add a lil "help" and on cold day hot days its in mid to high 15s) if I wanna piss off the chic in the Prius behind me 😁 due to the ULSD fuel I run a few ounces of wally world $12 a gallon 2 stroke oil in the fuel it keeps injectors lubed and quiet..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yup, mine was layin down 650Tq into a Dana80, fast truck when it was together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Used and abused 08 FLSTC. But low mileage i like my NEW Metzler cruisetek rear rubber, KandN air filter, spark plugs, redline transmission gear oil w. New drainplug O-ring, Mobil 1 engine oil20w-50, KandN oil filter chrome, got a new stator im soon to attempt to replace, just going on 26000 mileage

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mint pre owned , under 10,000 miles.
2-5 years old
New enough
Yet old enough where they typically have some nice add on Part$.

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
18 Posts
Always pre-owned
I have owned 7 Harleys, A dozen Vehicles from 1975 to 2020.
I have never bought new, All 7 used Harleys served me great with no problems.
It's the same with cars, and trucks, Why pay the over price tag when you can Buy a Good new used vehicle for less. The insurance and taxes are a lot less on a good used vehicle also.
I also buy the last year before a upgrade Change.
There is always a problem the first year of a upgrade, in my experience.
This is just for me. and It has done me good for 45 years.
You may have other thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
18 Posts
Used and abused 08 FLSTC. But low mileage i like my NEW Metzler cruisetek rear rubber, KandN air filter, spark plugs, redline transmission gear oil w. New drainplug O-ring, Mobil 1 engine oil20w-50, KandN oil filter chrome, got a new stator im soon to attempt to replace, just going on 26000 mileage View attachment 266001 View attachment 266002
That redline is good stuff, I used Redline in all three holes.
I'm a believer of that Redline, and I'll tell you why.
I bought my 06 Heritage in 07 used with 6k miles on it, The Cam Tension adjuster pads are supposed to wear out at 25-30k and checked every 15k-20k or so. I had 54k miles on the original adjuster pads, with 1/2 wear. Engine,Tranny, primary chain all are in great condition, running strong by using Redline changing the engine oil every 3k miles, not like Harely says 5k. Thats plan stupid, if the oil gets dirty Change it,and the oil will get dirty at 3k-3.5k miles.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts