V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to circumstances beyond my control I haven't been able to ride my 03 Heritage for 6 weeks. Today was the day I was going to take her out for a good long cruise. I checked the oil [cold] and it barely registered on the stick. So I added oil to the bottom of the neck weld, or so I thought, and went for an 8 mile warm up ride. I checked the oil again [hot] and it showed 1/2 inch over the full line...too much oil..I just hope I didn't damage the bike running it just this short distance with an overfill.
I had to get the excess oil out didn't really want to pull the drain plug ...so I did a bad thing. I went and got my wife's new turkey baster.
worked great in sucking out the oil through the filler neck. Now I've got to hit the store before she finds out and get a new one.
Anyway... HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you!

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
GrayRider said:
When basting a turkey, can you use Syn3 in all there holes?
OH NO!! The turkey bird hasn't been updated in the breast and legs! Syn3 will cause the joints to slip and the breast to sag! Dino only please......:nope: some people! :harhar:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
would you consider yourself with the experience you have a master at basting. the joke was just waiting there I had too.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
hogg831 said:
OH NO!! The turkey bird hasn't been updated in the breast and legs! Syn3 will cause the joints to slip and the breast to sag! Dino only please......:nope: some people! :harhar:

I heard synthetic will cause yer gibblets to slip :D

Think that'll void my warranty?:)

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
The turkey baster, was it a family heirloom with fancy scrolling and silver trim?

or was it plastic and rubber?

If it was a heirloom, set up a nice bed in the garage near the bike. You know you have thought about sleeping with the bike....here's your chance.

If it was a plastic and rubber, every day type turkey baster replace it before she knows.

Honesty is the best policy. Come right out and tell her " Honey, Thanks for letting me mess up a $2.00 turkey baster to ensure the bike oil is at the right level, Here are three new turkey basters for you to try"

Or wait until Thanksgiving right before she puts the turkey in the oven and tell her................" Hey Babe, forgot to tell you, I flogged up your turkey baster, get over it and make me a sandwich. I am going riding with the boys. Have that darn turkey ready by the time our folks get here. Put those beers on ice for me"

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
"Hey Babe, forgot to tell you, I flogged up your turkey baster, get over it and make me a sandwich. I am going riding with the boys. Have that darn turkey ready by the time our folks get here. Put those beers on ice for me." - Popeye

Almost the exact same words I used with all three of my ex-wives.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I should have just wiped the baster off and put it back. A little syn-3 would probably make the dinner slide through easier

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I would have just washed it too. My OL wanted a sissy bar for our Anniversary, so I guess she is a keeper... :clap:

·
Registered
927 Posts
What shocks me is that you'd use a USED turkey baster in your bike! Aren't you worried about microscopic giblets and dish detergent getting into your crankcase? I would have bought a new one and after I was done put it in a plastic bag to keep the dust out -- just like my funnels.

But then I'm paranoid.

Oh, and I HAVE used measuring cups as drain pans, but they clean right up afterwards...

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Some Guy said:
What shocks me is that you'd use a USED turkey baster in your bike! Aren't you worried about microscopic giblets and dish detergent getting into your crankcase?
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Is Bird Flu in your motor covered under warranty?

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Just man up and tell her the truth. You'll probably find out it's the same baster your brother-in-law used to artifically inseminate his hound dawg.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
A better way than pissing off your wife

Go to the Home Depot or Lowes and purchase 3 feet of 7/16 OD x 5/16 ID transparent plastic hose. It can be found in the plumbing section. Cost about $1.00.
Have a coffee can available and a couple of rags.
Insert one end of the hose into the oil filler hole until it bottoms out.
Insert the other end in your mouth.
Suck (The opposite of Blow) on the hose until you see the oil approach your mouth.
Stop sucking and seal the opening with your tongue.
Remove the tube from the engine hole, place that end in the coffee can and BLOW (Thats the opposite of suck)
When the oil is purged from the tube, repeat the procedure until the oil level is correct.

This is much better than facing a pissed off wife on Turkey day.

·
Fashion Conscious
1,902 Posts
...Or you could just go to a farm supply store and get a syringe, about a 35cc (fits down the filler neck of a softail tank) and draw out what you need to. No hose needed.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I used a turkey baster too - it's the perfect tool! Just washed it and put it back - people today are too picky about stuff like that. :dunno:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Yeah, it's not like we all haven't tasted a few hydrocarbons while out getting gas late at night or early in the morning when we were young.:duh?: :whistle:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts