V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....or if reprogrammed to stock settings (and removed in the case of the Power Programmer), can the dealer tech tell that a person has been playing with the codes? Don't want to debate the virtues of a dealer standing behind a customer with an anal retentive service manager.

I'd like to hear more from those that have used the SE EFI Programmer.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Street Rod. I am a dealer tech. The answer is no. I have been suing the SE race tuner for a month now. Seems like a good tuner ...so far. Let's say you had this program and dialed in toomuch timing and burned a piston. Re-set the calibration to a stock stage re-flash. I myself at a dealer can not tell what was done previous. We have n o way of knowing , unless you leave the map that damaged the motor loaded. then I could look at it and see that toomuch timing was programmed. I hope this helps... By the way new to the board.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If the dealer loads your EFI calibration with a SE EFI custom calibration Cartridge which is how it comes from the factory or when the dealer does a Stage I,II, 1550 etc. flash, for $150 (see p 452 of the 2003 book) a stock part number is stored in your ECM. If you then buy and use the SE Tuner and load a calibration from the SE Tuner CDROM the dealer will absolutely know as the stock number in your ECM will be irrevocably changed by the SE Tuner to 32107-000. However if you can convince your dealer to load an SE Tuner calibration from the CDROM then you can mess with that calibration using the SE Tuner and the number does not have to change. However you should change the extension to something like 32107-006 to document what you did. Once the SE Tuner number 32107, overrrides the SE cartidge number in your ECM it is not possible for you to change it back and 'fool' your dealer into thinking you did not use the SE Tuner. The part number change is irrevocable to the EPROM in the ECM. However the dealer can flash you back with a SE cartridge for $150. If you have a very good rleationship with your dealer tech (and he knows the EFI Tuner) then they might work with you to improve the SE Tuner CDROM calibrations - and believe me they can be improved - then you would want to use the -000 extension to document each improvement.
P.S you can't tune it right without an EGA for CO and Airfuel as the HD Delphi EFI system is open - loop. No O2 sensor in the exhaust manifolds so you will need one - preferably a dual probe as these cylinders get independently adjusted.
I run a 2002 FLHTCUI 1550 Stage I and it has had eight different SE Tuner calibrations to get the best for my riding traits. Torque now at 90.5 at 3050.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I am a little confused why you make a post if you already thought you knew the answer????

The scanner does not show the hd part number only a flash number which is the same if you used the tuner or the scanilizer.
The dealer would now you had a flash done but not if you messed with the map as only you would have a copy. If you load a factory map back onto the ecm that is all that would show to a dealer.

As far as most people that are buying them they are wasting there money. the PC IIIR is better for most mainly becasue they can down load a custom map online. Or even get one from a shop that made a custom map. I know of several place that will send you a map fpr free.

With out proper testing gear. EGA, load control, and the experiance you are guessing .

·
Registered
515 Posts
Weclome aboard HDWRENCH. Glad to have input from everyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HDWRENCH

What places will send you a PCIIIr map for free? I've had very limited success getting a map for a 2001 Heritage Springer Softail. Powercommander only has one map for this bike and they indicate that the ECM on this bike is flashed differently than other softails. I'm 500 miles from the nearest tuning center, so if you could provide a list of places that may have some maps for a Heritage Springer, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts