V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I increase my wrenching abilities and the size of maintenance tasks I take on myself I am now looking into changing my own tires. I'm asking the list for advice, recommendations, watch out for this, try this technique, you have to have this tool, etc... in regards to changing tires. I have all the HD manuals for my 05 Ultra - should I put something else in the library (book or DVD) to improve my learning curve? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have a Powerpoint that goes through a do it yourself wheel balance. I don't recall where I got it and I can't comment on how good it works since I have never tried it.
PM me with your email if your interested and I'll email it to you. The file is 3.2 meg.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Off topic...

but this is one of the reasons I miss the center stands on my old Hondas. I've looked into them but the ones I've found run a few hundred dollars for my SuperGlide.

In college I remember taking off rear wheels in apartment parking lots, rolling it down to the nearest service station for repair, and having the machine up and running in an hour.

Life just seemed easier.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
A freind changed my tires to Metzelers last summer with my help. he has the harbor freight tire changer bolted to his garage floor.

·
Registered
958 Posts
brownjams said:
A freind changed my tires to Metzelers last summer with my help. he has the harbor freight tire changer bolted to his garage floor.
Just got one of those, gonna try it out today.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
for a last resort/ once and a while use, you guys can use a shop size bench vice to break the bead. I USED to do this for my own years back before i got a tire machine. If you put the wheel/tire in the vice, just clamp the tire down, then use a large tire iron to break the bead around the rest of the rim. This works great for disassembly but i would trow the tire out...do not reuse it....just my .02 incase you all get stuck....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts