V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone out there does their own maintenance on a new bike, and how they document what they do for warranty purposes?

I just bought an '06 Springer Classic. Most if not all other Harleys have an initial 1,000 mile servicing, followed by servicings at 5,000 mile intervals. Springer owners, however, have an additional requirement to have the front end checked first at 500 miles, then every 2,500 thereafter. I'm thinking about making the front-end check myself, since Harley does allow that (I'll still take it to the shop for the initial 500 mile front end check, as well as for all 5,000 mile interval servicings that involve more than the front-end check). I just want to make sure I don't give anyone the opportunity void the warranty

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I have always let the dealer do the first service, 1000 miles. I do all my own work after that, unless it's a warranty issue. Get friendly with your parts guy, buy all your oils, filters, ect from them. They have records of your purchaces. Anyone can do their own work without voiding the warranty. Document it in your owners manual.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
pretty basic...write down what you did, step by step along with your observations, the date you did it, the miles on the bike. Best thing to do is follow the steps in the HD service manual, then you don't have to write it down again...you only need to record date, miles, and any adjustments.

If you make a claim on your warranty related to the front end, they will say the warranty doesn't apply, but they have to prove that you did something wrong which caused the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Same for me as Geezer -- dealer gets it for the first check and I do everything after that unless it's warranty.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
As already stated, just document your intervals.

I personally don't wait 5000 miles to change my engine oil. I change it more often and stay away from synthetics. I use Genuine Harley 20W50 Motorcycle Engine oil. Why pay more and stretch out your changes, when you can pay less for the oil, change more often, and increase engine longevity all for the same amount of money?

I do recommend using something other than the cheap HD filters. The media they used is nothing more than a wet sock held together with screen. Cut one apart and you will see. I recommend a K&N or Amsoil filter.

I also prefer Belray for my primary and tranny. Lot smoother shifting with it.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys

for all of your replies. I'll create my own service log where I can list every step I take. I just got back from the dealership where I bought the service manual, and at first glance, checking the front end doesn't seem that complicated.

·
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA
556 Posts
I've followed most of the procedures other posters mention above but I've also used a digital camera to take shots of some parts of procedures that I thought would be helpful in future. Biggest thing is to document evidence of the recommended maintenance intervals.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Casey0211 said:
I'm just wondering if anyone out there does their own maintenance on a new bike, and how they document what they do for warranty purposes?

I just bought an '06 Springer Classic. Most if not all other Harleys have an initial 1,000 mile servicing, followed by servicings at 5,000 mile intervals. Springer owners, however, have an additional requirement to have the front end checked first at 500 miles, then every 2,500 thereafter. I'm thinking about making the front-end check myself, since Harley does allow that (I'll still take it to the shop for the initial 500 mile front end check, as well as for all 5,000 mile interval servicings that involve more than the front-end check). I just want to make sure I don't give anyone the opportunity void the warranty
Do the maintenance yourself and get to know your bike. Nobody will take better care of your bike than you. I've heard more than few horror stories about poor service. But i've yet to hear one story about a dealer declining to do warranty work just because they didn't perform the service intervals.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Keep in mind there really is nothing high tech about a Harley. If you are capable of working on a smallblock chevy with port injection, then you are good to go. Amazingly, the factory service manual is really well written with plenty of detail. I do everything. I did buy the parts from the dealer for the first 1000 mile service. I told them what I was doing, everything is documented, etc.

If it makes you feel any better, remember that the factory warranty is only good for 2 years anyway. In that time, you'll find out if there are any strange early hour defects. Once you're past the two year mark, screw worrying about the dealer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts