V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I don’t ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Change that oil!! There are additives in oil to help with lubrication and keeping those HOG belly's clean. Heat breaks down those added things. So, to be safe.... just change it.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Change that oil!! There are additives in oil to help with lubrication and keeping those HOG belly's clean. Heat breaks down those added things. So, to be safe.... just change it.
lol,,, Your first post is on a oil thread.
Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Oil does more than keep the engine cool, it lubricates and cleans.
With that amount of annual mileage, that's a lot of time that the bike sits with condensation, minute debris, corrosive 'stuff' in it's belly.
Low mileage engines need oil changes as much, if not more, than high mileage engines.

Change the oil. You will never hurt an engine by changing the oil 'too much'.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Only 1000 miles a year? I would suggest putting on more miles yearly so the question doesn't even need to be asked. Hell, a couple of times I've changed oil twice in a month.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
IMO, most Harley riders go waaaay overboard on the whole oil issue. Once a year at 1000 miles is more than good. No need for syn either.

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Oil does more than keep the engine cool, it lubricates and cleans.
With that amount of annual mileage, that's a lot of time that the bike sits with condensation, minute debris, corrosive 'stuff' in it's belly.
Low mileage engines need oil changes as much, if not more, than high mileage engines.

Change the oil. You will never hurt an engine by changing the oil 'too much'.

Oil keeps the engine cool? As in reducing friction, or by carrying away heat?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Water from humidity can gather inside a motor. Motor oil is slightly hygroscopic and attracts it. You should at least start her up every so often and let her get to operating temp (250+) so the water boils off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes! It is cheap insurance. If you do your own, it is like $25-$35 depending on what you run. You spend $20K up on a bike, it is worth the insurance to get the moisture and dirt out of the engine.

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Both! :flames:
Oil is a poor cooling medium. It's better than nothing, and as the MoCo uses it, it gives good service moving very high levels of heat away from poorly cooled components.

If you were to take a water based coolant system and replace it with an oil based system, there would need to be an almost 100% increase in capacity.

As an example, mineral oil transfers heat less efficiently than Portland cement. Mineral oil has a thermal conductivity [W/(m.K)] of 10 to the power of -1. Or closer to foam insulation than it is to water.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Gotta admit , the oil draining from the heads does carry away some heat. It is the hottest part of an air-cooled motor. Some engines used drainage restrictors to slow the flow , so the oil could soak up some heat and carry it away. Not too efficient , but like ya said , better than nothing.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Going to be honest. if you are to cheap to change oil and lube at least once a year. Sell the bike and move on. The used oil collects contamination even in a shot amount of miles.
Over time it can cause problems . Change the oil and lube once a year is not a deal breaker and may pay off in the long run .
Another reason not to buy used bikes. Yep Had it 5 years well cared for. All services done.
PS: except I never changed the oil.
Engine 4-5K
Primary 5-10K
Trans 10-20K
Never put so few miles on that I worry about how much time. The reason for the spread is simple if we are leaving on a 4K trip I change all 3. Just away of going over the bike and ensuring everything is good to go. Change engine oil when we get back.
There is a reason some have so many problems with their bikes and others not so many.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another reason not to buy used bikes. Yep Had it 5 years well cared for. All services done.
PS: except I never changed the oil.
Engine 4-5K
Primary 5-10K
Trans 10-20K
Agreed, Annual is the way to go. Moisture is a big deal plus our bikes are furnaces.

My bikes previous owner... like mentioned above was a moron and when I bought it he said "Never did have to change the oil again after the first 1,000 mile mark since was covered by HD and only has 4,977 on it now. its a low mileage 2011 man!"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Short trips do not generate enough heat to burn off condensation. 2X's a year if you live in the north or cold climates

1 - 18 of 18 Posts