V-Twin Forum banner

Do I need this part (Air Cleaner Adapter Kit)?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MegaGlide 
#1 ·
I just finished installing the Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my 05 FXDi (as well as a set of Khrome Werks HP+ mufflers). When I went to put the football cover back on (because they said it would fit), I noticed that the center part of the cover (where the screw goes) doesn't sit flush on the new air filter. There's about a 1/2 gap between the filter and the cover.

I thumbed through the HD parts catalog, and I ran across PN 29769-01 (Air Cleaner Adapter Kit $8.95). Will this fix the problem?

I temporarily just put a the existing bolt through the cover, then slipped on a spacer (all I could find in the garage was a slightly larger nut that fits over the bolt) and a fender washer, then screwed it into the filter. I'm a little afraid of cracking the filter if I accidentally bump the cover too hard.

Anyone else run into this issue?

If this is needed, why the heck didn't they mention this, or include it in the freakin' box?

I think I'm eventually going to go with a round cover for the face of the filter, and run it open...I think it looks better, it shows more of the engine, but hopefully what I did will work for the time being.

Thanks!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
FXDRYDR said:
I'm trying to envision this...

Does the inside of the football seat flush on the rubber seal that goes around the outside diameter of the a/c? ...creating the seal between the cover and the filter?

If that's okay - seems you could use a washer or two on the inside of the football cover where it mates with the a/c.
Never thought of it that way...yep, it does sit flush on the rubber seal. The cover twists if i bump it...supposedly the kit helps with this as well.

Harley-Davidson Air Cleaner Adapter Kit

This adapter kit allows H-D® Air Cleaner Cover P/Ns 29598-00, 29599-00 and 29754-01 to be used with Screamin' Eagle® High Flow Air Cleaner Breather Kits on all Twin Cam-equipped models. Includes anti-rotation adapter plate and mounting hardware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.