V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing the Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my 05 FXDi (as well as a set of Khrome Werks HP+ mufflers). When I went to put the football cover back on (because they said it would fit), I noticed that the center part of the cover (where the screw goes) doesn't sit flush on the new air filter. There's about a 1/2 gap between the filter and the cover.

I thumbed through the HD parts catalog, and I ran across PN 29769-01 (Air Cleaner Adapter Kit $8.95). Will this fix the problem?

I temporarily just put a the existing bolt through the cover, then slipped on a spacer (all I could find in the garage was a slightly larger nut that fits over the bolt) and a fender washer, then screwed it into the filter. I'm a little afraid of cracking the filter if I accidentally bump the cover too hard.

Anyone else run into this issue?

If this is needed, why the heck didn't they mention this, or include it in the freakin' box?

I think I'm eventually going to go with a round cover for the face of the filter, and run it open...I think it looks better, it shows more of the engine, but hopefully what I did will work for the time being.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
I'm trying to envision this...

Does the inside of the football seat flush on the rubber seal that goes around the outside diameter of the a/c? ...creating the seal between the cover and the filter?

If that's okay - seems you could use a washer or two on the inside of the football cover where it mates with the a/c.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FXDRYDR said:
I'm trying to envision this...

Does the inside of the football seat flush on the rubber seal that goes around the outside diameter of the a/c? ...creating the seal between the cover and the filter?

If that's okay - seems you could use a washer or two on the inside of the football cover where it mates with the a/c.
Never thought of it that way...yep, it does sit flush on the rubber seal. The cover twists if i bump it...supposedly the kit helps with this as well.

Harley-Davidson Air Cleaner Adapter Kit

This adapter kit allows H-D® Air Cleaner Cover P/Ns 29598-00, 29599-00 and 29754-01 to be used with Screamin' Eagle® High Flow Air Cleaner Breather Kits on all Twin Cam-equipped models. Includes anti-rotation adapter plate and mounting hardware.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
Never thought of it that way...yep, it does sit flush on the rubber seal. The cover twists if i bump it...supposedly the kit helps with this as well.

Harley-Davidson Air Cleaner Adapter Kit

This adapter kit allows H-D® Air Cleaner Cover P/Ns 29598-00, 29599-00 and 29754-01 to be used with Screamin' Eagle® High Flow Air Cleaner Breather Kits on all Twin Cam-equipped models. Includes anti-rotation adapter plate and mounting hardware.
Never seen this kit before, anti-rotation seems to be the main purpose. If there is a gap between the football and the metal center of the a/c, please check the type of a/c as there are version for the Evo and TCs. Evo a/c are somewhat dished in the center and require a space (about 1/4") to make the football cover sit flush on the a/c.
The kit may not fit to the Ness backplate, not sure

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
IMy football rotated when I rode the first time I reinstalled it. I retightened it to spec and used loctite - end of problem. Subsequently, I've just used loctite and no probs.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Guys, the cover is NOT supposed to contact the center of the air filter.
It's only supposed to contact the rubber seal, otherwise the center cracks out of the a/c and your cover goes into the weeds...
The adapter kit looks like the one for the SE Deuce teardrop. Might do a search on the part numbers, in the P&A catalog and SE.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Mega,
not sure about this. The SE a/c center is somewhat domed (for the lack of a better word) and at least in my case the dome touches the football cover center when properly torqued down.
Maybe something is wrong with my football cover (2003).......

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
No, touch is ok. It's when guys tighten it down on the center w/o it being tight on the rubber that the center is supporting all that vibrating weight and it goes flying. There are a couple nice pics somewhere on here of that...
That's why the thick rubber gasket is required on the round TC covers.

http://65.38.172.84/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22990&d=1111081963

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.