V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do I need to have the dealer do my 1000 mile tune up?

I f I buy harley oil and keep the receipts then why do I need to go the dealer and pay them? Is there a valid reason or just a way for the dealer to make more money?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you have the parts, manual, tools and knowledge you don't need the dealer. I wouldn't skimp on the 1k service though. A lot of things need to be adjusted properly.

lowbar

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I've always had the stealer do the 1K on all my bikes. There's so much that has to be checked and retorqued at 1K, I let them do it. After that, I take care of my own services.

·
Registered
822 Posts
CutterHD said:
Why do I need to have the dealer do my 1000 mile tune up?

I f I buy harley oil and keep the receipts then why do I need to go the dealer and pay them? Is there a valid reason or just a way for the dealer to make more money?

No, you do not have to take it to a HD dealer for any scheduled service.

It's not hard to service a HD. Just get the service manual and follow the outlined procedures. Contrary to what some people will tell you it will not void your warranty if you or an independent shop works on your bike.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Maxum96 said:
No, you do not have to take it to a HD dealer for any scheduled service.

It's not hard to service a HD. Just get the service manual and follow the outlined procedures. Contrary to what some people will tell you it will not void your warranty if you or an independent shop works on your bike.
@gree: The dealer 1000 mile service is crapshoot. Do they actually do the stuff they say they did, or was it a quick "eyeball" and "looks good to me" inspection? One never knows. And why was my oil always a quart low when I used to have the dealer service my bikes? Just do it yourself........it's pretty easy.

·
Discarded Crew Member
1,554 Posts
No you do not need to take it to a HD stealer. Like said above you just need a service manual and a little time and you will be just fine. If you have any questions many a local shop will help you with answers.
Also you do not need to by HD oil or filters. As long as you use an oil that has the same SAE rating you will be just fine.. just for fun lets start this one again. Switch to synthetic oil as soon as you can and you will be better off...

ride safe

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I've actually seen the 'Porters' at the dealer in Toledo, OH performing 1,000 mile services. Matter of fact, I experienced it. And no, they don't check all the things they are supposed too. Especially if you say the bike 'runs great'.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
xcelr8 said:
@gree: The dealer 1000 mile service is crapshoot. Do they actually do the stuff they say they did, or was it a quick "eyeball" and "looks good to me" inspection? One never knows. And why was my oil always a quart low when I used to have the dealer service my bikes? Just do it yourself........it's pretty easy.
Yeah, I had a 10K done on my FB, and about a month later I was removing the rear wheel to get a new tire for a trip. Once I pulled the axle covers off it was obvious that they never pulled the wheel nor re-greased the axle bearings. That was the first and last time anyone has done work on my bikes outside of warranty issues.

·
Registered
822 Posts
ktwillys said:
Also you do not need to by HD oil or filters. As long as you use an oil that has the same SAE rating you will be just fine.. just for fun lets start this one again. Switch to synthetic oil as soon as you can and you will be better off...

ride safe

@gree: @gree:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess I am lucky. I have bought two new Harley's from two different dealers and they both have performed the 1000 mile service for free. I think if the shop doesn't offer to do it for free just do it yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts