V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 FLHTCI. Stage I, Samson slip-ons. The bike stalls when it gets hot, especially in traffic. No error codes show. The MoCo & the dealer are both telling me that I need ti install a race tuner.

Will a race tuner help this problem?

Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.^rolleyez^

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
adding a race tuner to your build would be like putting Z rated tires on a yugo.

It is likely you are running lean which could cause the stalling, but unless you plan on more mods in the future, a DFO would be a wiser value choise to add some fuel to the mixture.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I agree with Roon but if I had it to do over again (& I still might), I would have went with the race tuner (20% off during winter sale) instead of the
H-D race fueler for my 04 FLHTi. I have the race fueler & the bike pops on decel thru the V&H True Duals. My friend has an 06 RoadKing with the exact same mods as my bike (Stage 1 + V&H system) & his doesn't pop. For the amount of $$ I spend on stuff for the bike, I wish I wouldn't have skimped with the EFI tweak.... just MHO!

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you have the upgraded air cleaner kit (stage 1) and aftermarket pipes you definetly need the race tuner or power commander. (I'm assuming your bike is EFI). The bike is running way to lean (and hot). I have the pc on my RKCustom. By adding the pc or racetuner.....your not wasting your money that was spent on the pipes and stage 1. Your bike will run alot smoother and you'll get the hp that was promised with the stage 1.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The problem is that your dealer probably loaded the stage I flash and it's not a good map for your setup. e.g. HD does not sell Samsons and therefore would not have an exact map for the backpressure. You need some sort of a "tuneable" ECM to fine tune your bike. Some use the SE race tuner, some use a Power Commander, and there are others. I used a Power Commander with the SE Stage I air cleaner and a set of Rush slip-ons with the 2 1/2" baffles. PC had a map on file and the unit arrived pre-loaded with that map. Have not had any problems.

Does your dealer have a dyno? If they're tuning it without a dyno, you're just pissing good money after bad.

At this point, you WILL need some sort of tuner.

What you have to ask yourself is "do I trust my dealer"?

Find a performance dyno place and ask them for advice. That's what I did on my '06 Road King, and they were exactly right.

Nothing worse than having to pay twice and it still isn't right.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
empireghost said:
2006 FLHTCI. Stage I, Samson slip-ons. The bike stalls when it gets hot, especially in traffic. No error codes show. The MoCo & the dealer are both telling me that I need ti install a race tuner.
Had that problem...
MOCO had the dealer overnight air my ECM back to them to reprogram it & told the dealer to install cvo injectors
Don't have that problem, now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts