Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a Road King Classic 2001 with following modifications:
- SE CAM 203 + the high RPM upgrade from SE
- Kuryakyn Open Air Filter with K&N
- Supertrap Slip Ons left and right with 12 and 18 discs

I use the STOCK EFI .
I read a lot of EFI remapping... Do I need one ?

The shop where I go is not a dealer but a harley healer ( he is one of those independant shops and has no dyno or special tools )

Thanks

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
It seems to me that if you have a "high RPM upgrade from SE" That you already have an upgraded efi map since the SE download is what gives you the higher rev limit.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, i understand, but is this sufficient ? Sometimes I could need more torque but this has to do with displacement or not ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
it depends of which SE rpm extend you've got?! maybe it is the right one for your configuration, maybe its not. Who did the job?! Who bought the parts?! The SE rpm extend is basically the recal of your ecm an can be done by dealer... so I would suppose that it is the correct one for you.

Have you had any other mods after the SE rpm extend has been installed?!

ciao...

F

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
pedege said:
yes, i understand, but is this sufficient ?
The one way to be sure is get a base line dyno run with an AFR (air fuel ratio) meter.

Does your bike pop on decleration? Popping is due to excess fuel igniting in the exhaust pipe.

Any mis-coloration of your pipes? Yellow = lean, Blue = rich

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, when i decelerate it pops and sometimes it hissis as if i missed an spark ignition.
No , no discoloration.
The installed hard and software is:
25937-99B SE203
17045-99A CAM SERVICE KIT
29489-99C STAGE I EFI KIT replaced by KURYAKYN
32711-99B CARTRIDGE 1550 ST '99

It all costed in march 2005 about 1500 EURO, 1300 USD
( not included the SUPERTRAPP exhaust, they are should bette then SE or THUNDERHEADER says my HD Healer (www.deprofessor.be )

Do I need a remapping or is it just a waste of $$$ for only 5 HP extra ?

Thanks dudez

·
Registered
755 Posts
pedege said:
yep, when i decelerate it pops and sometimes it hissis as if i missed an spark ignition.
No , no discoloration.
The installed hard and software is:
25937-99B SE203
17045-99A CAM SERVICE KIT
29489-99C STAGE I EFI KIT replaced by KURYAKYN
32711-99B CARTRIDGE 1550 ST '99

It all costed in march 2005 about 1500 EURO, 1300 USD
( not included the SUPERTRAPP exhaust, they are should bette then SE or THUNDERHEADER says my HD Healer (www.deprofessor.be )

Do I need a remapping or is it just a waste of $$$ for only 5 HP extra ?

Thanks dudez
You have changed the architecture of your motor significantly over stock with those cams, larger displacement, and exhaust. I highly recommend a dyno and a remap. You may find it to be a whole lot more than 5HP, not to mention that the stock map may actually hurt your current build because it has changed so much since then.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would it be a wise investment to buy one of the Fuel Injection Controllers with a closed loop system ( Terry, DFO, ... ) which claim that all is corrected while riding and no need for remapping since all is done by this new system ?
It would cost about 500 USD.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
pedege said:
would it be a wise investment to buy one of the Fuel Injection Controllers with a closed loop system ( Terry, DFO, ... ) which claim that all is corrected while riding and no need for remapping since all is done by this new system ?
It would cost about 500 USD.
Do a little search on TCFI etc. and you will find out that it's not as easy as advertised. As others already suggested, you may want to look for a good dyno shop that has solid experience with the SE race tuner and get a proper tune of fuel and ignition timing.
Having been around in Europe for a while, I feel it's difficult to find tuners that are up to par with the good shops in the US.

In case you are computer savvy, consider a AFR monitor like the Daytona Twin Tec system, log your data and adjust it with a power commander.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts