V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Aquired my first Harley. 01' FLHRI. SE slip-ons and Ness BS a/c. Harley is awsome! I new it was just a matter of time. I just wish I didn't wait so long, night and day from my metric.

I'm new to EFI and want to ensure my bike is tuned as best as it could be. Looking at PC, or SERT. (Notice very slight "poping" on decelartion)

I've SEARCHed the site and could not find an answer, hence my post.

How can I tell if my ECU has been flashed?

What part(s) make up Stage1, Stage2, Stage3 upgrades? I've even heard of a Stage4. Huh? :huh:

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
juscruzn said:
Hello All,

Aquired my first Harley. 01' FLHRI. SE slip-ons and Ness BS a/c. Harley is awsome! I new it was just a matter of time. I just wish I didn't wait so long, night and day from my metric.

I'm new to EFI and want to ensure my bike is tuned as best as it could be. Looking at PC, or SERT. (Notice very slight "poping" on decelartion)

What part(s) make up Stage1, Stage2, Stage3 upgrades? I've even heard of a Stage4. Huh? :huh:

Thanks...
Stage 1 : some money a/c, exhaust
Stage 2 : a fair chunk of money cylinders, pistons, cams, ported heads
Stage 3 : almost can buy a 883 Sportster Specials heads, cams, crank, induction systems, cases
Stage 4 : unlimited

There maybe other defintions like bolt on, bolt in, modify

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
most likely you have the stage 1 flash. I put the A/C and pipes on myself and then brought bike to dealer for the stage 1 flash. If it was done at the dealer they put everything on for the previous owner and did the flash there.I get an occasional popping on decel, happens more when accelerating and then sudden slowing down. if your bike has a PC III or other tuner it should be under the seat if I'm not mistaken. I got the print out showing the stage 1 flash from the dealer.

good luck and ride safe.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
In Harleyland-

Stage I: High Flow Air Cleaner

Stage II: Cams

Stage III: Heads.

Stage IIII: I dunno...:dunno:

P.S. Dealer can plug into the ECM and read the part number of the calibration and let you know what you've got.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
juscruzn said:
Hello All,

Thanks...
easiest way to determine if it has download. Run it up til it hits the rev limiter(caution, this behavior is infectous!), if it goes to 6200, you have download! If it hits rev limiter beofre 6k, no download.....

I think...

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
adlerx said:
easiest way to determine if it has download. Run it up til it hits the rev limiter(caution, this behavior is infectous!), if it goes to 6200, you have download! If it hits rev limiter beofre 6k, no download.....

I think...
Yep, he's right...at the moment the only way to get the higher rev limit is with the flash or SERT, which is a flash in its own right.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Flashed...

If the bike has been to a dealer, call them and check the service records.

Or you can "wind it up" and see if you get to...75-77 MPH in THIRD GEAR.

If you don't get there, have it checked and flashed :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
75 -77 mph in third gear huh? Test the Rev Limit?

YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!! I'M LUVIN THIS SITE!! :roflback:

I figured that was the easiest way, I'm glad to hear others think so too.

Thanks for all the input. Don't want to go to the dealer so I guess I'll have to opener' up!

One more thing, is there such thing as a Stage 2 flash upgrade?

Thanks again Guys!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Same question when I got mine

I had the same question when I bought my '02 FLHRCI.
Brought it to the dealer, because I had an occasional stumble, in the engine(not me). I had them check the code when he was in there.
No charge and didn't worry about cranking the engine to redline without a load on it. I don't know why but I've always had an issue with that.

There's now a stage 1 download, SE A/C, Wild Pigs and a DFO. :Banadance
Tim

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
MegaGlide said:
In Harleyland-

Stage I: High Flow Air Cleaner

Stage II: Cams

Stage III: Heads.

Stage IIII: I dunno...:dunno:

P.S. Dealer can plug into the ECM and read the part number of the calibration and let you know what you've got.

Stage IIII is modified fuel induction system :D

PS - you forgot big barrels on the stage II thingy :whisper:

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
whitecloud said:
No charge and didn't worry about cranking the engine to redline without a load on it. I don't know why but I've always had an issue with that.

Only someone severely brain damaged would do that.
Personally, I always have a load on my bike in third gear at 70 mph...

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Third gear provides a load and good acceleration...if I go looking for 80mph in THIRD GEAR the limiter kicks in . How can you run well if you don't know your bike? -2$en#e-

It is funny to look in the mirror and see riders "waving thier elbows"...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awsome feedback.

What started me on this thread was the desire to WAKE-UP my scoot. Runs great, smooth and powerful (for now...) but I want it LOUDER!

I'm looking for a DEEP and loud(er) exhaust sound, While maintaining perfromance of course. . SE's are pretty tame.

Looks like Thunderhearders or VH True Duals.

Oh yeah, and a PC or SERT. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Don't rule out the Wild Pigs. They're cheap and offer a couple different options for baffles. Mine actually sounds like a Harley should.
The really kewl part is...I don't have to ring door bells anymore. Just pulling in the driveway and my buddies walk out the door. Now that's what I call service!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WHITECLOUD

Thanks for the tip. Did some research. So they're slip-ons. Direct fit to my existing headers - correct? (I have an 01' FLHRI) Sounds like it has a deep throaty sound that I'm looking for.

What size baffles are you using? Who has the best price? I've only found a company that sells "seconds".

Price is just right to put Wild Pigs into contention. Shoot, can't go wrong with the price!:cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know what kinda response I'll get out of this but here goes...

Is it just me?

More than a few times while sitting at a light (in a cage) I would here, BLUP-BLUP, BLUP-BLUP, BLUP-BLUP. If you said that to yourself they way I intended (#@SasF# #@SasF# ) you would have thought that dosesn't sound that bad. A bikes exhaust with a nice low rumble, loud enough to hear (and feel), reminds you of a 67' muscle car with heavy cams.

More times than not, I turn my head and it's a little ol' Sporty at idle. I personally hate the way it rides, but something about it at idle just makes me smile. That little ol' Sporty makin' that great noise. From what I've seen it usually has SE pipes.

Just an observation...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts