V-Twin Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rode with local Christian bikers group this weekend.

prolly a dozen or so, only a few HD's.

but seems the more i ride with big groups, the more i notice guys with smaller *** cruisers seem to have the LOUDEST blatty exhaust.

saw some kid with dealer tags on a 750 or so (small) bike with dealer plates, it backfarted on the way up thru the gears. really loud.

is it because this is thier new bike/first cruiser/doing the Harley/biker thing, so they get them loud pipes to get initiated?

it only took 2 bikes with screaming pipes to wear me down,
but the stock pipes on my RK are killing me - i can't hear when to shift up or down in these group rides.

finally ended up by a RG this weekend, and shifted with him.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Extremely loud pipes are just a "look at me I'm cool" statement. It's a proven fact that unbaffled pipes reduce performance. With that said, i do run straight open pipes on my old shovel cuz i like the way they sound.

As for shifting in a group, you need to learn the speeds you normally shift at. This way you can use your speedo for shift points if need be.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
ut seems the more i ride with big groups, the more i notice guys with smaller *** cruisers seem to have the LOUDEST blatty exhaust.

It's amazing!! I also rode with a Christian group, and it was a Honda that had the most irritating set of pipes that were in the group and the guy kept on riding up on me and backing off...riding up and backing off...on and on and on!! I was really stressed by the time the ride was over! I was telling my Fiance' that I'm getting to the point that I like to ride solo...without a group. It takes that one or two guys that have ego problems to ruin a good ride with some great people:dunno: .

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
itold a *** ******* biker how to fix his backfiring problem----------just pay me to install his stock exhaust.

shifting in an obnoxious group is easy----------twist right hand till it dosn't twist no mo. shift quickly and don't quit till you no longer see the group in your mirrors. you should be traveling over 45 mph by now :laugh: :dunno:

·
Lighten up!
593 Posts
It doesnt matter if the bike is metric or H-D, if someone wants overly loud pipes than thats what they are going to do! I was at a place the other day and a guy started up his baffeless Sportster and it sounded like complete crap! Maybe you guys just look for the loud metric bikes because they are not H-D's.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I have a couple of friends who have tried to make up for not having a Harley by putting loud/obnoxious pipes on their rice burners...Yamaha and a Honda. They always like to rev them every chance they get and I guess the sound they hear is different than the sound those of us behind them hear.....LOUD & CRAPPY!

There simply is NO substitute for the sound of an HD Big Twin running a good set of pipes. There is a total difference between really good sound and just plain loud NOISE. Everyone has their own opinion on what sounds the best but SH*T sound becomes very obvious. I personally think it's a shame to ruin the HD sound by installing the wrong pipes just to be LOUDER. LOUD is great but LOUDER is not always BETTER....

That's my $.02

Semper Fi,
Steve.....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
steveusmc said:
I have a couple of friends who have tried to make up for not having a Harley by putting loud/obnoxious pipes on their rice burners...Yamaha and a Honda. They always like to rev them every chance they get and I guess the sound they hear is different than the sound those of us behind them hear.....LOUD & CRAPPY!

There simply is NO substitute for the sound of an HD Big Twin running a good set of pipes. There is a total difference between really good sound and just plain loud NOISE. Everyone has their own opinion on what sounds the best but SH*T sound becomes very obvious. I personally think it's a shame to ruin the HD sound by installing the wrong pipes just to be LOUDER. LOUD is great but LOUDER is not always BETTER....

That's my $.02

Semper Fi,
Steve.....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003
I think that Metric riders put on loud exhausts for the same reason Harley riders do. I don't think they are trying to sound like a Harley, they just like loud pipes same as Harley riders do. Harley riders don't have any exclusive rights to loud pipes and just because a metric rider wants loud pipes does not mean he is trying to sound like a Harley in my opinion.

That's my -2$en#e-

·
In disguise
2,908 Posts
utrvp said:
I think that Metric riders put on loud exhausts for the same reason Harley riders do. I don't think they are trying to sound like a Harley, they just like loud pipes same as Harley riders do. Harley riders don't have any exclusive rights to loud pipes and just because a metric rider wants loud pipes does not mean he is trying to sound like a Harley in my opinion.

That's my -2$en#e-

@gree:

Back in the 1970's, I put shorty megaphones on my Triumph. It had nothing to do with Harleys, I just had this compulsion to see what kind of sounds the bike could make, and louder in those days, meant better. I even tried it without any mufflers at all--removed the slip-ons altogether. Talk about loud and raspy. Today I would find that quite obnoxious.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
FAQ's said:
3. We will not tolerate racial or ethnical jokes or posts that are demeaning or offensive to any particular race, religion, sex, sexual preference or creed.
This has been discussed before...... The term "***" is considered a derogatory remark. Please spell out the complete term "Japanese" if you wish to refer to Japanese Motorcycles.

Feel free to repost the thread if you feel the need to discuss this topic but please use correct terminology.

Thanks for your cooperation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.