V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an '09 Harley FLHTP, and from what I have read, they should come standard with the 103. What I also read was the 103 comes with an oil cooler. This bike has no oil cooler. Could the D.C. Metro Police have ordered a bike with a 96 ci engine or would they take the oil cooler off for some reason? It does have mounting hardware for a sidecar, but I don't see why that would interfere with an oil cooler. Is there any way to tell if it is a 103 by serial# or other sources?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guru's would know better than me but I think the 103 has automatic compression releases and the 96 does not.
I was crawling around it yesterday and saw some sort of plug in the front cyl head between the two cylinders. I thought maybe that was for the parade mode because I didn't see one on the rear. I'm not up on all this new tech. I grew up on Pans, Shovels and my last bike was an Evo Softail so I'm trying to find my way around these things.

·
Super Moderator
22,725 Posts
Just run the vin. Then make sure the vin on the motor is the same as the vin on the frame.

There was a stabilizer adjuster and brackets that mounted right where the oil cooler would have been when using a side car. So, scooters with side cars might have been unable to mount oil coolers. The lack of an oil cooler might have required the 96 in scooters with side cars.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,757 Posts
I was crawling around it yesterday and saw some sort of plug in the front cyl head between the two cylinders. I thought maybe that was for the parade mode because I didn't see one on the rear. I'm not up on all this new tech. I grew up on Pans, Shovels and my last bike was an Evo Softail so I'm trying to find my way around these things.
That would be the engine temp sensor.

Reactions: Oldasdurt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just run the vin. Then make sure the vin on the motor is the same as the vin on the frame.

There was a stabilizer adjuster and brackets that mounted right where the oil cooler would have been when using a side car. So, scooters with side cars might have been unable to mount oil coolers. The lack of an oil cooler might have required the 96 in scooters with side cars.
Yeah there's alot of stuff going on down front with the sidecar brackets and that stabilizer you are talking about and I didn't see any oil lines. The engine # was hard to read and I didn't try anything to make it show up clearer. Guess I'll mess with that in the morning. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah there's alot of stuff going on down front with the sidecar brackets and that stabilizer you are talking about and I didn't see any oil lines. The engine # was hard to read and I didn't try anything to make it show up clearer. Guess I'll mess with that in the morning. Thanks.
The engine # does match the frame🤗

1 - 10 of 10 Posts