V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else on the net so I'm not sure if anyone else has done this yet. I recently bought a 2000 FLHTCI that had a few chrome pieces but, as always, could use more. One of the things I noticed on other bikes was a chrome shifter rod rather than the stock threaded rod. I priced a few and decided I could find better ways to spend the $$$.
Fast forward...I was in a golf shop the other day and noticed that the chrome golf shafts looked to be about the same diameter as the shift linkage rod. I asked if I could have a couple of used chrome shafts taken from clubs being re-shafted since they would be throwing them out anyway..."sure, no problem". I walked out with 3 fairly clean golf shafts of different sizes (putter, iron and driver). The shafts are tapered but the not so much near the bottom.
I used a dremel cutting tool to cut a clean end near the bottom of the smallest golf shaft. I removed the shift linkage rod from my bike and removed one of the rod ends from the rod. The cut golf shaft slid over the shift rod with almost a perfect fit. I held the golf shaft next to the shift rod and marked where I would need to cut the golf shaft so that it would cover the entire length of the shift linkage rod minus the two rod ends. Be sure to hold the dremel parallel to the golf shaft when cutting to get a clean cut. I used a dab of clear silicon caulk where the ends of the golf shaft butt up against each rod end to keep moisture from getting behind the golf shaft and forming rust. After re-installation, it looks just like a slightly larger diameter shift linkage rod only now it's CHROME. But the best part is the cost...$0.00!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Good thing you got all three. Putter for a ride to the nearest pub, Iron for a afternoon ride. Driver for those long trips.:roflback:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
I think the stock rod ends(junk)are the reason most people change the linkage anyway..... hopefully you have upgraded those as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Esterhaus said:
Crap like this is why you see folks stranded along side the road.
Esterhaus, why will this leave me stranded along the side of the road? I did nothing that I can see to compromize the integrity of the rod or rod ends. All I did was put a thin chrome sleeve over the existing rod. Is it the OEM rod that is a piece of crap? If it is, then can you suggest a decent replacement that isn't priced at 5 times what its really worth just because it says "fits Harley Davidson" on the package?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
adv13809 said:
Is it the OEM rod that is a piece of crap? If it is, then can you suggest a decent replacement that isn't priced at 5 times what its really worth just because it says "fits Harley Davidson" on the package?
Yes, it is crap, or at least the rod ends will break on you, the rod looks like it belongs on a Murray riding mower.
Check http://www.mickeyscustoms.com/
A vendor who supports this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
adv13809 said:
Esterhaus, why will this leave me stranded along the side of the road? I did nothing that I can see to compromize the integrity of the rod or rod ends. All I did was put a thin chrome sleeve over the existing rod. Is it the OEM rod that is a piece of crap? If it is, then can you suggest a decent replacement that isn't priced at 5 times what its really worth just because it says "fits Harley Davidson" on the package?
My bad. I didn't read your post carefully enough and thought you were using the club shaft AS the shifting rod, not just as a cover.

The stock rod is actually okay....just ugly. All of them that I have seen or heard of failing have been at the joint.

You can get a nice aftermarket rod with good heim joints for around $50. I guess that's cheap to some folks and expensive to others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
i love the golf club cover idea. nice to see someone with some creativity!!! i have buddies with 100,000 miles on the stock type rods. most of the slop ive seen is where the rear arm goes on the tranny itself. i always wanted one of the fancy rods years back but also couldnt justify the 100 plus. i bought the somewhat plain chrome harley one for easily half that as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
You can replace your stock joints with these.

Order two of part #CF5Y and add a "T" to the end to make it Teflon lines. They are as smooth as silk and will last a very long time.

These have the stud already attached.

Two of these will cost about $16.

They're not chrome but they are shiny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
ADV, Good idea. Crank up the production of recycling club shaft rems and sell them on ebay as "custom made" chrome shift linkage covers....seriously. I bet they would sell from $5-$20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TBo said:
ADV, Good idea. Crank up the production of recycling club shaft rems and sell them on ebay as "custom made" chrome shift linkage covers....seriously. I bet they would sell from $5-$20.
Someone I ride with suggested the same thing. I just thought I'd share the idea with others as a novelty thing...something to do when you run out of other things to do to the bike. I love the reaction I get when I tell people what it came from and see the light bulb come on in their head too. Simple idea...just not obvious.
 

·
"What's this do?"
Joined
·
229 Posts
adv13809 said:
...I was in a golf shop the other day and noticed that the chrome golf shafts looked to be about the same diameter as the shift linkage rod...
Thinkin’ outside the box… Good job – good contribution. Oh, welcome to the forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
We'll see how long it takes for someone to take advantage of the info and put the stuff on ebay...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top