V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
05 Stock Fatboy FI
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From a earlier post from SEDELUXE05 I gathered this info and have a few questions in RED to make this complete:

heres what you need for 3.37 gearing

Parts:
Cutch Basket 37 tooth - 37846-99a Approx.$231.76
Countershaft Sprocket 24 tooth - 40269-85a Approx.$38.33
Gaskets approx $25.00" all models are diffrent refer to manual for part # for bike
Which gaskets exactly? Just the primary cover?

Tools:
Socket size: 1 1/2" and a 1 3/16". approx. $10.00 each
Are there any pullers needed?

Misc:
That stupid grin on your face when you gass it "PRICELESS"
All prices were taken from zannottis web site does not include shipping and handling

Anyone who has done this already see anything missing?

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I've got the stock metal primary cover gasket and have reused it probably half a dozen times with no leaks. There's a new torque procedure for the compensator sprocket nut. Old procedure was tighten to 160 ft pounds. New procedure is tighten to 70 ft pounds then go another 45 to 50 degrees. That extra 45 degrees is a bear to get but the new procedure eliminates the need for a torque wrench that goes to 160 lbs. Make sure you clean all the old lock tite off the nut and threads and reassemble with red lock tite. My nut came loose using the old procedure for torqueing. I was lucky and caught it while adjusting the primary chain. I reassembled with he new procedure and haven't had any problems. Next time I have the cover off I'm going to drill the nut and compensator shell and insert a 1/16 inch roll pin for added security. You'll like the 3.37's.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Try pressing the clutch hub out of the basket by hand. I did and got lucky, it was just a slight interference fit. The new basket slipped right on too. You might also think about flattening the face of the 1 3/16 socket so it can get a full bite on the comp nut. Good luck.
AP

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have your service manual near will help. I needed a good set of snap ring pliers and as far as the locking tool for the primary, I took the advice of one of the other guys and wrapped a rag around an old screwdriver. Get the red loctite and a good brush or thread chaser to clean the comp. nut threads of the red loctite. I used the loctite prep spray it mentions in the hd service bulletin, but a good degreaser will work just as good. The other stuff is also right on, long breaker bar, remember the threads are reverse on the clutch.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Because of the left hand thread on the clutch, you'll need a torque wrench that works in both directions.....not the "deflecting beam" type.

·
05 Stock Fatboy FI
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speedo issues?

How does the speedo determine road speed? Does changing the the gearing this way affect the speedometer?

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Speedometer is not effected in the 3:37 gear swap. Because you are changing the ratio before the speedo pickup, not after.
Do a search on this subject. You will find tons of related info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts