V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten a lot of great info and referrals for after-market seats from this forum. I've decided to go with a new Mustang for my 05 RK Standard. Now, where can I get the best deal? It doesn't appear to be from Mustang direct.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OG88.. Try this place, they offer Mustang Seats at 15% below retail. They also honor the 30 day money back guarantee if you dont like it. http:/www.sargentcycle.com I have ordered from them b4 and was very pleased.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
What seats will fit the 05 Deluxe other than the Corbin designed specifically for it. I would like to keep my stock rack and touring HD pillion....which is where the problem is. Also a backrest would be nice.

·
Livin the dream
338 Posts
You will be happy with the mustang. If you are getting a solo, I have a 8 and 11 inch vintage (or whatever the non studded seats are called) pillion pad I will sell you cheap.

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Took your word for it

Today I ordered the full set: wide studded touring with backrest, pillion and sissy bar pad. Came to $150 below Mustang's MSRP. Now we'll see how their service is....hoping for the best!

I'll report back when I get the items.

UPDATE: Received a UPS tracking number and an e-mail from Debbie at discountcycleparts.com indicating all the items have been shipped less than 24 hours after ordering. Now that's service! Of course, I did call prior to ordering to make sure the items were in stock. I was told the sissy bar pad wasn't, but they could have it today.

Philip

frankencat said:
I will second discountcycleparts.com. Great prices and great service. I bought a Mustang from them a while back and would do it again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Discountcycleparts.com is the ticket! $85.00 below Mustang MSRP. The only downside is that they shipped three days after I placed the order. I haven't received the seat yet but the Fed Ex tracking looks like I will take delivery 5 days after they ship out. Still can't complain at that price.

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Received Seat today

Philip said:
Today I ordered the full set: wide studded touring with backrest, pillion and sissy bar pad. Came to $150 below Mustang's MSRP. Now we'll see how their service is....hoping for the best!

I'll report back when I get the items.

Philip
UPS dropped off the carton today. A brief inspection revealed everything I had ordered was there, all wrapped nicely in plastic covers. A closer inspection revealed no flaws at all; every piece was brand new, in excellent shape, as advertised. Mustang sure makes high-quality stuff.

It's a lousy feeling to wait for something you've ordered and for the order to turn out wrong, or be damaged, or disappointing in some way. This was NOT the case with this order. Can't wait to get the seats on the bike and on the road!

Thanks, DiscountCycleParts.com, for a classic Internet ordering experience!

Philip

The usual caveats apply...not an employee of...don't know anyone who works there....blah, blah. Just one happy customer.

·
05 FLHTCI
345 Posts
Cheapest might not best with seats

I was very concerned about buying a seat that did not fit or was uncomfortable. I called around to all the seat manufacturers and some dealers and other than Mustang and Day-Long, there were few that would return seats with no restocking charge. I found that Dennis Kirk, while not the cheapest by any means has a no restocking charge policy. They almost everything in stock. As long as you don't ride the seat, you can send it back. I have not taken advantage of that yet, but it makes me more comfortable with my purchase knowing that I am not out $500 or 20% of $500if the seat is not right for me.

If anyone has any experiance with any other companies with liberal return policies i.e. no restocking charges, please post it.

David

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Mustang's on the bike

If you've ever tried to install a Corbin, you'll laugh at my tiny problems mounting the Mustang. It wasn't hard, but it was a little frustrating.

First, you have to attach the bracket from your stock rear seat to the Mustang rear seat. Easy. But then you have to attach the Mustang rear seat to the front seat via supplied screws, and that was, if not difficult, extremely awkward.

Then, when you mount the joined front and rear seat assembly on the bike, you have to line up the rear-fender screw and the two side bolts. Interesting, if you're doing it alone. In the end, one of the side bolt brackets had to be bent a little, but it finally lined up and all was well. I slid the backrest into its slot, adjusted it, and rode around the block. New bike! L.A. to Sturgis, no problem! Now I know what everyone raves about.

For those who are interested, I feel the seat puts me up less than an inch and perhaps a tiny bit forward...again, less than an inch. For me, at 62, the backrest alone is worth the price of admission.

Finally, I decided not to install the sissy bar pad myself. One screw on the existing pad is located under a concho, and I'm sure I'd chop it up trying to get it off. I'll let the dealer do it. A bit expensive, probably, but any scratches will be on him, not me.

Overall, A+ rating for the Mustang vintage wide studded touring with backrest, and pillion pad.

Hope this helps someone.

Philip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts