V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what wiring mod is needed to disable the directionals from self cancelling without affecting the auto volume control for the radio on a 1996 FLHTCI? I'm so sick of having them cancel far too early and would rather just do it manually. I thought there was a thread on here at one time that talked about it but I searched and cannot locate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I think there is a way to recalibrate them.

I like having them. I also have a j-word bike, and lucky I haven't gotten run over, from people thinking I was going to turn. But if you only got one bike, you will be in the habit of turning them off.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked in the service manual at the wiring diagram and it looks like if I disconnect the white/green wire at the turn signal module instead of at the speedo, it shouldn't affect the AVC on the radio. I have no idea where the turn signal module is or if it's labeled. I'm guessing it's in the fairing somewhere....guess I'll have to see what I can find.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
On a TC, its the TSM, and located under the seat, behind the battery. Not sure on a evo, of if it has a TSM.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did it. The module was in the fairing in the center down low. Pretty easy to get to. I confirmed it by checking the wire qtys and colors against the wiring diagram. Clipped the wire, now I need to take it for a spin and see if it worked.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You could just turn the key on, then turn the blinkers on, and see if they come one. If they do, turn them off. That would be a good start.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Also it wouldn't hurt to leave enough wire so it can be spliced by the next owner or if you, if you guessed the wrong wire.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The blinkers would stay on constantly if I just turned on the ignition switch and turned them on. The cancelling feature that I wanted to get rid of is tied to how the module detects motion using the speedometer. Even without cutting the wire, if I had turned on the directional and not moved the bike, it would have stayed on.

Got to test it out today and it worked as planned. I push the button to turn them on and they stay on until I push the button again to turn them off. Some things just don't need to be automated in my opinion.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
I also cut the speed sensor wire to my module. It works fine (as long as the operator remembers to turn them off)...

I wish there was a conversion to have them work the old way (need to hold the button to keep them on).

rkc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts