V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 FXRT with a primary and transmission housing from a '90 FXR. The dipstick for the transmission oil is broken off of the threaded cap, so I got another to replace it. As I put the new one in I discovered why the old one was probably broken. The new dipstick will not fit as the clutch cable is centered in the opening for the dipstick and cap. I can put it in at an angle, but no way I can screw the cap in at that angle. Not knowing the full history of what parts are on the bike, any suggestion what I need to do to get a dipstick in the transmission? I currently check transmission oil level with a phillips screwdriver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where did you get that dipstick?
The dipstick in the previous picture is the broken one (cap still good, dipstick broken off of it) I do not recall where the replacement came from, but it is very similar, threaded cap with dipstick protruding out bottom. (Picture below)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
the replacement appears to be the correct dipstick..
work at getting it in dont force it,,, it will fit. just takes a little finesse.

·
Super Moderator
2,860 Posts
I would be inclined to do without the dipstick until you are absolutely sure what's going on.Bad things can happen if it breaks off.The only time you need it is when changing oil or you have a leak.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It calls for a pint and has an overflow vent if too much is in there. Only reason to check level is if you have a leak. The overflow vent should have a drain hose attached. I agree, no need for the dipstick. If primary and tranny are leaking use different colored oils to see the drips. Here is a pic of my '90 FXLR trans. but I don't know if it's a stock fill cap. It's a flush allen.
Pay no attention to the baked on boot crud on the pipe haha!

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
It calls for a pint and has an overflow vent if too much is in there. Only reason to check level is if you have a leak. The overflow vent should have a drain hose attached. I agree, no need for the dipstick. If primary and tranny are leaking use different colored oils to see the drips. Here is a pic of my '90 FXLR trans. but I don't know if it's a stock fill cap. It's a flush allen.
Pay no attention to the baked on boot crud on the pipe haha!

Boot crud is easy to remove with Easy Off oven cleaner. Left on overnight it will wipe off in the morning.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback, not really needed unless leaks. I will likely go the no dipstick route, but the last few days, I have had a lot of time to think about things like this!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts