V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read thru the multi-postings on HDForum and various other sites and keep coming back to one question. How often would you change your oil and filter if you switch over to synthetic??? I've ridden for 40+ years and when this "3000 mile" alarm goes off in my head I change my oil. I've seen motors that have gone too long between oil changes, I've seen motors that have run without oil, not pretty.

I currently use Amsoil and have for some time. I still change my oil, in both scooters, at the 6000 mile mark. Since I've started using synthetic I don't change the filter (Amsoil filter) 'til the 3000 mile mark or every other oil change. A waste of $$$$$, you bet !!! Just can't shut off that damn alarm 'til I get it changed.

Please connect me with an "encounter group" to turn off this alarm....

:confused:

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I still change oil and filter at 3000, since using synthetic I am not overly concerned if I go over by 500 miles, but I rarely do. I would change the filter at 3000 and the oil at 6000 as opposed to the other way around, but as I said I do both at 3000, I do it myself and think a small price to pay for longevity of my engine. Good luck finding a group.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Oil filter

As stated by Thealien, change the filter at the 3,000 mark and the oil at 6,000.

An advantage of synthetic oil is longer life. However the filter changeing frequency does not change.

In my truck I change the filter at 5,000 miles and the oil and filter at 10,000 miles. I use Amsoil. I send a sample of the oil out to be tested and it always comes back the oil is still good to use. I even sent oil sampl out with 10,000 miles on the oil and results indicated I could still use the oil, however I'm just not that brave yet.

I believe I will switch the Harley over to amsoil after I have about 6,000 miles on it. With the truck due to being diesel I had to wait till 15,000 miles as it a deisel and they take forever to break in.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
By the book Twin Cams are changed at 5K, Evos and older at 3K. I run castrol syntec and change at 5K in my '00 FLHTCI and I've had no problems. I run synthetic in the primary and tranny too. Haven't noticed a difference in the primary but synthetic in the tranny made it shift a whole lot smoother and it runs quieter, as does the engine.
The reason I've been given on the difference in mileage is twofold, the filter is better i.e. 10 micron vs. 25 micron and more importantly it filters the oil BEFORE it goes into the engine (from the pump) as opposed to AFTER it leaves the engine (returns to sump). A personal opinion is the quality of oil has increased in the last few years. My new Dodge truck has a light duty maintenance schedule with oil change at 7K! I won't go that long but I'm going to 5K on it also, with Syntec too.
Oh and this is the encounter group:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some oil facts

The ideal temperature for oil is considered to 212° F.

At a constant 240° F oil’s life is cut in half.

Every 12° F above 240° F cuts the life in half again.

Regular petroleum based oil can begin to scorch at 350° F while synthetic oils can take 600° F before they start to scorch.

Film strength (keeps the oil molecules bound together) regular petroleum based oil will take pressures up to 500 psi, synthetics will take about 3,000 psi.

Viscosity retention

0 miles 800 miles 1,500 miles

Castor Synaptic 100% 78.1% 74.5%

Castrol GTX 100% 72.2% 68.0%

Mobil 1 100% 86.6% 83.0%

Spectro 4 100% 68.0% 63.9%

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, Thanks and sorry bout that. I mis-typed my mileage on original post. I edited it .....Thanks!!

I have been running my oil for 6000 and change the filter every 3000. Which I getting ready to change to 3000 on both. I also take a sample of my oil every other change and send off to a lab to have tested. It has came back "good" everytime and the main thing no significiant metal wear !!!

Ride safe !!!

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D :p :D :p

Wish I could say that......."Yeah, right, sure, it was a test and you passed!!!"

:D :p :D :p :D :p

·
Registered
575 Posts
txjimbo said:

Viscosity retention

0 miles 800 miles 1,500 miles

Castor Synaptic 100% 78.1% 74.5%

Castrol GTX 100% 72.2% 68.0%

Mobil 1 100% 86.6% 83.0%

Spectro 4 100% 68.0% 63.9%

Interesting that Mobil 1 holds viscosity so much better, wonder how Amsoil fairs.....

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Guess I do mine a little different. I've been using AMSOIL for 35,000 miles now on my current bike. I've always changed oil on my bikes at 2500 miles, mainly because that's the mileage at which other maint is called for. I always change the filter with the oil. On long trips, it doesn't bother me to run 5-6,000 before changing oil though. I also live in the deep south, very rural, where summertime heat is high.

In my 4 wheel vehicles, I run them 6,000 between oil changes (syn also). I think if I did a lot of city driving, I would change at 3,000.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I change mine at 3000. I've been using moble 1 for years and can't believe how much quiter my bike runs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Amsoil might be a good product, but I would never buy it. I e-mailed a guy about buying some one time and the guy hounded me for 6 months, sending me all kinds of crap on how to become a dealer, bla,bla,bla... I just wanted a price on buying some, I didn't want no dealership. I think they need to change the name to Amway Amsoil....that dude was harder to shake than a band of Jehovah Witnesses.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
If you used that thought process with HD you would never own a Harley. Its good stuff, try a different dealer or supplier. Once I set up my acount, I've never heard from my dealer again. Mobil1 and redline are good products also, but I believe amsoil beats them. Use what you feel comfortable with, but don't judge dealers, judges, cops, bikers, or amsoil dealers by the actions of one person!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't use Amsoil but I have requested and recieved info from them by mail and e-mail. They have responded quickly and with the info I needed and I have had no unwanted follow up........they may eventually make a customer out of me........

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I did their Preferred Dealer thing on the Web a couple of years ago and have never even talked to anyone anywhere. Just order on the Web and that's that.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I change oil & filter somewhere around 4000 miles. I use Mobil 1 and the chrome filters from the dealer. The exact interval is adjusted based on how much I feel like jacking the MF up and doing the work :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
cwo2lt,
I just noticed earlier in this thread you stated you used synthetic oils in your tranny and primary. What brand and type oil do you use for this?
Also my two cents worth on the HD dealers saving face, they won't. These blow hards have been preaching too often and too long on you can't use synthetics in a Harley.
2001 FLSTCI, 22,000 miles Mobile 1 V-Twin Synthetic

1 - 20 of 21 Posts