V-Twin Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
wonder what seats are out there that will sit me lower for the time being untill i can get taller bars?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I sat on a street glide at the dealer today that had 12" bars on it and man it felt great! I believe 10" would be ideal for me. So now i need to figure out what brand to get that will fit what i need and not break me. Also trying to fix the awful head buffeting. I got an amazon 7" recurve windshield and it helped very little, not nearly enough.I dont want to have to put a huge tall shield on it..There has to be a better one thats still not real short that will stop this.I also got the wind deflector that goes between the forks and dont think it did anything at all.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
I sat on a street glide at the dealer today that had 12" bars on it and man it felt great! I believe 10" would be ideal for me. So now i need to figure out what brand to get that will fit what i need and not break me. Also trying to fix the awful head buffeting. I got an amazon 7" recurve windshield and it helped very little, not nearly enough.I dont want to have to put a huge tall shield on it..There has to be a better one thats still not real short that will stop this.I also got the wind deflector that goes between the forks and dont think it did anything at all.
Look at the Dennis Kirk or JP Cycles website see the different brands and sizes. Then go to eBay and see if they have what you need.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Look at the Dennis Kirk or JP Cycles website see the different brands and sizes. Then go to eBay and see if they have what you need.
Thats what i was thinking about trying. Does anyone know what size the stock bars are? Just by a rough measure it seems they are already 10" but that cant be right because the one i sat on with the 12" seemed way taller than just 2 more inches..?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
This is the seat that came on the bike. Not sure what type of seat it is but it feels like im sitting 'on' the bike instead of 'into' the bike making me higher up. Also, as you can see, the area your but sits on is huge and has no lower back support. Im 6 ft tall but have short legs so i sit in the middle of this seat and again, it doesnt have and lower back ledge on it like most seats so its like sitting on a 2x6 board with nice padding on it. I need to be a little lower and have that step up to the passenger area for lower back support I sat on several street glides at the dealer the other day with seats that felt much better and lower where i sat into the bike. There are many take off seats on ebay, can anyone recommend one that would put me lower and into the bike instead of on top of it? That would also help with the low handle bars also. This one on ebay looks like it would be lower and have the ledge for lower back support, but not sure as its just a picture HARLEY DAVIDSON STREET GLIDE SEAT | eBay

Thanks
seat.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Congrats on the new SG. Bars and seats are very personal and not one size fits all. Some seats are firm, some cushy, some better for short riders, some for tall, some for bar hopping, some for long touring, and you need to keep the missus happy back there too so that's another factor. I recommend you put some thought into the seat and solve that first. Sounds like you want something that gets you lower which may impact the buffeting and hand position. Then with the seat solved, you have your base to figure out exactly what bars/shield would be best. There are dozens (hundreds?) of choices for seats, with everything you could imagine. Take your time and keep searching. Don't limit yourself to HD dealers. Some popular names with websites / info....Lepera, Mustang, Corbin, Saddleman, C&C Custom. Also poke around on J&P Cycles, Dennis Kirk, and other HD aftermarket on-line sellers.

·
Registered
2008 Dyna Super Glide Custom, 2015 BMW K1600GTL
200 Posts
Congrats on the new SG. Bars and seats are very personal and not one size fits all. Some seats are firm, some cushy, some better for short riders, some for tall, some for bar hopping, some for long touring, and you need to keep the missus happy back there too so that's another factor. I recommend you put some thought into the seat and solve that first. Sounds like you want something that gets you lower which may impact the buffeting and hand position. Then with the seat solved, you have your base to figure out exactly what bars/shield would be best. There are dozens (hundreds?) of choices for seats, with everything you could imagine. Take your time and keep searching. Don't limit yourself to HD dealers. Some popular names with websites / info....Lepera, Mustang, Corbin, Saddleman, C&C Custom. Also poke around on J&P Cycles, Dennis Kirk, and other HD aftermarket on-line sellers.
I agree with all of this. I'll just add in, that had I known about Russell Day Long when I had my Ultra Classic, I would have had my seat made by them. I spent a lot of time and money seat hunting when I had that bike and always felt okay on it, but never amazing. I have an RDL on my current bike and honestly, I will never have another touring bike without one. They build the seat to your specific body dimensions. They're not cheap, but neither is the trial and error of seat hunting.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
.At the moment, i cant spend a lot of money as i just bought the bike, thats the reason im looking at used Harley seats on ebay for the time being until probably next summer..Thats why i was asking what Harley brand seats will get me lower. I should have explained that first. The seat that came on it is HD branded but its not comfortable only because it sits me high and the part my butt sits on is huge with no ledge for lower back support..or i should say what step up is there is very far back. .The seats that would have came on this bike looks like it would be lower and more comfy, but not sure..? that seat iposted above in the ebay link looks like it would be good but not sure as i am new to HD and not familiar with all their seats but there is so many to choose from used on ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Don't limit yourself to what HD has for seats....its the first thing many upgrade and there is a reason for that. And the HD dealers usually don't stock much beyond their standard choices. I'm 6'4" so a stock seat always sucks for me. HD does not have many choices for me but I always find what I need elsewhere with a little research. Look around on some of the seat mfg websites I listed above to learn about what specific seats may work for you. The websites have info regarding positioning (lower, higher, forward, back, etc) when compared to a stock HD seat. Then you can begin the search for a deal (used or new).

You need a point of reference so I would pop the seat off and look for part numbers on the seat pan. Sounds like previous owner may have been a tall guy and this seat does not work for you...possibly it's a 'Tallboy' seat which moves you UP and BACK. Maybe ask the dealer if they can put a stock seat on it for a few minutes so you can see how that feels as a point of reference. Also, if you know anyone with a touring bike (RG, SG or EG) with similar model year the seats are interchangeable so you can quickly swap them out and see how it feels.

One of the great things about HD is there are endless aftermarket parts/accessories out there. The good companies are still in business because their products are an improvement over what HD sells and people buy it. Combine that with the huge number of HD owners buying/selling stuff and you can find whatever you need on ebay, Facebook Mktplace, etc.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
When I bought my heritage the po said the HD seat had gel installed. I had been down that road with another bike. Riding 200 miles on a charity ride I questioned my wisdom selling a 500 mile a day bike to purchase a 45 mile a day bike. I bought a Mustang seat which did sit me slightly higher, but didn't matter much on a softy. My point is whatever hd seat you buy it will suc and you will enjoy comfort on trips by buying most any aftermarket seat other than oem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The seat in your picture is a touring seat, not a Street Glide seat, Street Glide seats are very thin in the passenger area. As for your buffeting issue, you need to get a set of fork fangs, they will solve that issue.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts