V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping i can talk about this here without getting hated on. I currently ride a 2006 Suzuki M109. I LOVE the bike. Its 125 horsepower and 115 torque and that makes it a blast to ride. Its been paid off for a long time. Lately i have really been wanting to add a second bike and its either a road or street glide, i just really like the looks of those 2 bikes! Looking at those in the years of the 103 engine. I found a 2015 street glide for a pretty reasonable price and it is absolutely bone stock, right down to the quiet stock exhaust..nothing has been altered from stock. I rode the bike and really liked some things about it except 2 things that really bother me..first is the wind buffeting terribly on my head..The bike looks too good to add a really tall windshield so can that be remedied with a different style windshield rather than a taller one? The other thing is that it felt gutless..like it has no power. I would still be keeping my other bike but it still worries me because it just feels like if you ever had to get the hell away from something quickly that you wouldnt be able to.. Its strange because it seemed to get up to 60 mph rather quickly by watching the speedometer but it didnt feel like it was doing much by the seat of the pants feel. I wouldnt be able to afford to do a big cubic inch kit to it for a few years so thats out of the question. Not sure if aftermarket pipes and air filter would help much? I really want the bike and need to go get it before its gone..I just dont know..cant make up my mind.

·
Registered
2008 Dyna Super Glide Custom, 2015 BMW K1600GTL
200 Posts
As far as the windshield goes, there are a lot of options for you. Check out Clearview windshields, they make a recurve version that you can put on that will push the air over your head. Unfortunately, those Batwing fairings really do cause a lot of buffeting and it may take you a little bit of trial and error to find the right windshield combination. Fortunately they're not that expensive, and you can usually resell them. You might also be able to find some windshields you can try via one of the forums for sale cheap.

As far as the power goes, if that is a deal killer for you, don't buy a HD. You will spend a fortune chasing HP, and to make any real difference you may be giving up reliability and for sure gas mileage. The 103 will do all you want to do, and more, but it won't have that seat-of-the-pants get up and go.

I spent 90k miles on a 2009 Ultra Classic with the 96 cu in motor, and with the exception of very high-speed mountain highways, like I40 near Flagstaff, the power was adequate. The 103 should be fine.

I would not spend the money on the Stage One, which is an ECM flash, open AC, and a better flowing exhaust.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Let me get this straight. You ride a foreign bike with a shaft drive and you are worried about what a taller windshield would do to the looks of an HD? AND, you still want to be able to outrun the police after you've robbed a bank? Do I have all the pieces?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me get this straight. You ride a foreign bike with a shaft drive and you are worried about what a taller windshield would do to the looks of an HD? AND, you still want to be able to outrun the police after you've robbed a bank? Do I have all the pieces?
lol..no..no..no police!! No, i just know there are some maniacs out there in cars and ive seen some very scary stuff on videos of them getting mad at bikers and trying to run them down..hopefully that wont ever happen but would sure want to get away from them in a hurry if it did. I love all bikes no matter the brand and i am really wanting one of these.

·
Registered
327 Posts
For the buffeting, fork fangs and the dog dish that fits on the lower triple tree is the fix. For get up and go, the most economical method is to install a Trask turbo kit, gives you good manners for just normal riding, and Oh **** power when the throttle is cranked. Notice I said economical, not cheap, as that will set you back $6000 for the kit, which is all bolt on.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
You didn't mention the price on that scooter, so its hard to say much about it. If its wind protection you are looking for, then the Streetglide is a poor choice.

With scooters old enough to have a 103 in them, you should be able to get Ultra's for the same price as Streetglide's. Then you can work at removing stuff as opposed to adding back on. Make the trunk removable and try an intermediate windshield. You could try it with the lowers off, but you'll prolly want them on if the wind bothers you.

Past that, buying a scooter because of the way it looks, is contrary to buying one for the way it rides. Form vs function. If you are buying the scooter to look at, then don't worry about the way it rides. If you are buying for the way it rides, then don't worry about the looks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You didn't mention the price on that scooter, so its hard to say much about it. If its wind protection you are looking for, then the Streetglide is a poor choice.

With scooters old enough to have a 103 in them, you should be able to get Ultra's for the same price as Streetglide's. Then you can work at removing stuff as opposed to adding back on. Make the trunk removable and try an intermediate windshield. You could try it with the lowers off, but you'll prolly want them on if the wind bothers you.

Past that, buying a scooter because of the way it looks, is contrary to buying one for the way it rides. Form vs function. If you are buying the scooter to look at, then don't worry about the way it rides. If you are buying for the way it rides, then don't worry about the looks.
Its not the general wind, just the buffetting on my helmet.. Riding a bike with no windshield or fairing is absolutely fine, but when i rode this one the buffetting on my helmet was bad enough i could not even hear the exhaust and it blurred my vision.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
Its not the general wind, just the buffetting on my helmet.. Riding a bike with no windshield or fairing is absolutely fine, but when i rode this one the buffetting on my helmet was bad enough i could not even hear the exhaust and it blurred my vision.
Well if you want a good looking bike with enough power that you wish for a seatbelt then you should get a Kawi Vulcan Nomad. A heart stopping bike that will only see a shop for rear tire changes. I've had many metric bikes and I spent more money on 2 Harleys than I spent on 17 metric bikes. Why would you want to adjust the belt every 2500 miles instead of changing drive shaft oil every 40,000 miles? There are many threads here from people who like the looks of the street glide, but want to know how to improve the ride and to stop the wind from being irritating. An Ultra is the ultimate Harley ride although you will need a newer one for looks and power. There are no haters on this forum as we also have metric bikes for different needs that our Harleys won't fulfill.

Sent from Nakina NC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well if you want a good looking bike with enough power that you wish for a seatbelt then you should get a Kawi Vulcan Nomad. A heart stopping bike that will only see a shop for rear tire changes. I've had many metric bikes and I spent more money on 2 Harleys than I spent on 17 metric bikes. Why would you want to adjust the belt every 2500 miles instead of changing drive shaft oil every 40,000 miles? There are many threads here from people who like the looks of the street glide, but want to know how to improve the ride and to stop the wind from being irritating. An Ultra is the ultimate Harley ride although you will need a newer one for looks and power. There are no haters on this forum as we also have metric bikes for different needs that our Harleys won't fulfill.

Sent from Nakina NC
I beleive i can deal with the power issue as i am keeping my other bike too, but the helmet buffeting has to be fixed. Been watching videos on different windshields that seem to help significantly! Why did you have to spend so much money on the Harleys? Do you mean for customizing or they actually gave you a lot of problems? The few harley guys i ride with dont ever seem to have any issues with theirs so i figured they were good machines also..?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I beleive i can deal with the power issue as i am keeping my other bike too, but the helmet buffeting has to be fixed. Been watching videos on different windshields that seem to help significantly!
I read a long thread on buffeting today and the general consensus is that lowers of some sort when combined with a windshield you find to be the best will yield the best results

·
Registered
200 Posts
My head hurts.
Good luck.
That's why when I replaced my Ultra Classic after 9 years and 90k miles I bought a bike with a power adjustable windshield. Issue solved

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
I beleive i can deal with the power issue as i am keeping my other bike too, but the helmet buffeting has to be fixed. Been watching videos on different windshields that seem to help significantly! Why did you have to spend so much money on the Harleys? Do you mean for customizing or they actually gave you a lot of problems? The few harley guys i ride with dont ever seem to have any issues with theirs so i figured they were good machines also..?
Just little things that costs a lot in labor to fix if you can fix it yourself the parts aren't too expensive. A recurve shield is what you seek. I had a 15" recurve on a heritage and the view was like having no shield at all. It is quite warm here near Myrtle Beach and I have seen some shields that have had hacksaw customization. I have had Klockwerks, but I believe Long Ride Shields has a better design mention that you are a Vtwin member get 5% off and a vet another 10%. Not a vet they don't ask for proof.

Sent from a cheapfuk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you hooked on the the Street Glide or Road Glide? If not.. I would suggest a Road King.
A Road King with a stock windshield and the chrome fork wind deflectors has absolutely zero buffeting. it will also have less overall chest pressure or wind in your eyes.
I have owned a Street Glide, Ultra Limited’s and a few Road Kings that have been used specifically for going on long trips with a lot 4-500 mile days.
The Road King is the King for highway speed travel.. not to mention they handle better in the mountains.
However, if you have a Wife that travels with you... that changes things
My Wife will ride on anything for a 100 mile day trip. If we are leaving for a multi day trip, she insists on the Ultra Limited.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you hooked on the the Street Glide or Road Glide? If not.. I would suggest a Road King.
A Road King with a stock windshield and the chrome fork wind deflectors has absolutely zero buffeting. it will also have less overall chest pressure or wind in your eyes.
I have owned a Street Glide, Ultra Limited’s and a few Road Kings that have been used specifically for going on long trips with a lot 4-500 mile days.
The Road King is the King for highway speed travel.. not to mention they handle better in the mountains.
However, if you have a Wife that travels with you... that changes things
My Wife will ride on anything for a 100 mile day trip. If we are leaving for a multi day trip, she insists on the Ultra Limited.
I am hooked on the street or road glide and my wife will be on it with me.This will be the main 2 up bike and the m109 will be the play bike. Im having a hard time getting myself to go buy the bike..I guess i cant get over the fact that i already have a nice bike and having another is not a neccessity, but at the same time i keep thinking that i only get one life and need to enjoy it..driving myself crazy and surprised they have not sold the bike yet..

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I am hooked on the street or road glide and my wife will be on it with me.This will be the main 2 up bike and the m109 will be the play bike. Im having a hard time getting myself to go buy the bike..I guess i cant get over the fact that i already have a nice bike and having another is not a neccessity, but at the same time i keep thinking that i only get one life and need to enjoy it..driving myself crazy and surprised they have not sold the bike yet..

Too much talk.
Decide.
You won't find the answer on here.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Too much talk.
Decide.
You won't find the answer on here.
I agree.

OP: Go buy your bike, if you decide later on down the road you don't like it, it's a pretty easy thing to sell.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
When I got my 2016 Street Glide the first thing that went was the short windshield. I tried a few but ended up with a 10" Wind Splitter that works fine for me and looks ok too. I also did fairing wind deflectors and it makes a difference but if you're looking to stop most or all you're looking at lowers also. I don't mind so much the small amount of buffeting caused by the air coming from the bottom up but it was unbearable with the stock shorty thing they call a windshield.

As far as the 103 and power I've found it adequate. I have the Stage I and I can't say how much it really helped but it holds it's own even in the hills with two 'slightly' heavier than average people on it. It won't transport you to another dimension but it isn't a slouch either. And never underestimate the value of the downshift. There's a reason they put those extra gears in there.

I'd say my biggest complaint with my Street Glide is the rear suspension. HD claims greatly improved ride with the Rushmore bikes but if this is improved I'd hate to see what a pre-Rushmore rides like (have never ridden one). My wife has lower back problems and I have to plan routes very carefully to avoid bumps with an aggressive rise. This is the primary reason I have a hard time getting her on the bike with me. Surprisingly my '05 Super Glide rides better on bumpy roads which is contrary to the 'touring' aspect of the Street/Road Glides.

With all that said would I buy it again. Yup!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Skip the Steet Glide, and Get the Road Glide. You will be much happier !!!

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
You have answered your own question that you only live once. Every bike owner should have at least one Harley in their life. I loved my heritage and still ride it don't have to clean it or service it, because she belongs to a grandson in law. At a rally I saw 2 Harley guys with a Goldwinger and mentioned that it was a good thing the winger was with them.
Why so?
So he can go get parts.

You know they didn't think that was funny at all.

Sent from a small cave in NC

1 - 20 of 51 Posts