V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the dealer on Saturday and saw one of the parts guys messing around with of those digital oil temp dip sticks in a cup of water, kept messing around with it so I had to bite, asked if he was trying to see how cold water with ice in it was. He says no it's the "new" model, so I ask whats "new" as I've seen them before, he goes check this out, not only does it show the temp but also the oil (fluid) level so you don't even have to pull out the stick to check the engine oil level.
Wow! Am now thinking about getting one at $139 as it does two things and is a multi-tasker:thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
685 Posts
FE Butte said:
Wow! Am now thinking about getting one at $139 as it does two things and is a multi-tasker:thumbsup:
I love gadgets like this, but even at around $110 from Zanotti's I think I pass (even now thought it's playing' with my subconscious...in a few weeks $110 will seem like a steal and I won't be able to wait until it arrives from UPS)
 

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
Do you really have to check your oil level that often? Is it that hard to take the dipstick out and check the level "manually"? Not worth $110 IMO.
 

·
Ironbutt
Joined
·
7,412 Posts
FE Butte said:
Was at the dealer on Saturday and saw one of the parts guys messing around with of those digital oil temp dip sticks in a cup of water, kept messing around with it so I had to bite, asked if he was trying to see how cold water with ice in it was. He says no it's the "new" model, so I ask whats "new" as I've seen them before, he goes check this out, not only does it show the temp but also the oil (fluid) level so you don't even have to pull out the stick to check the engine oil level.
Wow! Am now thinking about getting one at $139 as it does two things and is a multi-tasker:thumbsup:
As for checking the oil level, seems like a lot of money for something you can do manually in about 10 seconds. Pesonally i don't like relying on gadgets like this to check something as important as the oil level. And for the oil temp part - just another usless piece as well IMO. Got one my shovel - never pay attention to it - doesn't work right most of the time anyway. If your riding habits are such that you are worried about your bike overheating then invest your money in an oil cooler.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
I'll bet it is for Twin cams only right?

Us loyal Evo owners are forced to go back to the days of yore cut, weld, fabricate! :wootdnc: What a concept! :cheers:
 

·
DHARMA Initiative
Joined
·
5,678 Posts
:duh?: :duh?:
 

·
Hellbound Train
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
You know you want it, It's chrome, it checks your oil, you know you want it.
You know you want it, It's chrome, it checks your oil, you know you want it.
You know you want it, It's chrome, it checks your oil, you know you want it.
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
csoday said:
You know you want it, It's chrome, it checks your oil, you know you want it.
You know you want it, It's chrome, it checks your oil, you know you want it.
You know you want it, It's chrome, it checks your oil, you know you want it.
You caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan't have it!!! :bleh:
 

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
Joined
·
553 Posts
petrock said:
Do you really have to check your oil level that often? Is it that hard to take the dipstick out and check the level "manually"? Not worth $110 IMO.
@gree: seems some may just buy to say "hey look what i got, and i don't have to get my hands dirty.":woohoo: and how often do you check the oil temp.? me, if i can't touch it without it hurting then its hot!:flames:
guess what, for that $110, i can change my own oil for the next few years+.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
Got a friend who had never owned anything newer then his 70 shovel. Last year he bought a twin cam nostagia springer classic. Dude never checks the oil. He just rides the heck outa that bike and changes the oil every 3500 miles. :huh:
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top