V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want/need to move my bars up a hair and maybe back a little. Don't mind the bars themselves, but want to put them at a more comfortable postion. Also would like not to have to mess with cables and wiring right now, along with keeping the speedo at the same angle or near it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
479 Posts
You probably realize you can't use pull back risers without changing the angle of the speedo. My solution was to get different bars with more rise and pullback. Depending on the bar you pick, you may need to changes cables, lines, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, it was pretty apparent with the pullback risers. Someone sure wasn't thinking on that one. Or, maybe they were. Wish I could find some straight risers maybe an inch higher than the original. That might just do it. Guess I could get some longer bolts and throw some spacers/washers in there temporarily to check the fit before committing to anything.

I considered the changing the bars, but all them I've seen so far turn the grips in too far for my liking to accomplish the pullback. Puts the wrists at an uncomfortable angle to me. The stock bars are just about right for me if I could only move them a little.

Thought I saw some offset risers someplace, but can't find them now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
FXD-Tim said:
You probably realize you can't use pull back risers without changing the angle of the speedo. My solution was to get different bars with more rise and pullback. Depending on the bar you pick, you may need to changes cables, lines, etc.
My brother went through the same dance this weekend. He wanted a set of mini apes for his 92 Dyna, can't stand the buckhorns. The shop owner spent almost an hour measuring so he didn't have to get new cables. I never knew new bars were so involved.

Tim

·
Finally
839 Posts
I just put a set of FXST bars on mine #56102-99 and there is a newer number that is the same. They are listed in the Cat as extended reach. Says you need to change the brake line but it can be done without changing it. Plenty of room for clutch cable and wires. For me it is the best thing I have ever changed for comfort....:yes:

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
a buddy of mine put 4" risers on and didn't have to change any wires or cables. he has an fxdx 2001. hope this may help!

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i added three inch risers to my 06 with no wire/cable problem.
look in drag specialties and the offer a top clamp that corrects the speedo angle problem.
i personally moved my speedo to under the top clamp, between the tank and risers, it was pretty involved fabrication, i just wanted to get that turbulance causing speedo out of the wind. yes it did cure the 70 mph and over buffeting problem!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I swapped out my stock risers for 4 1/2 inch pullback risers. The wires were a little tight. By pulling the connector closer to the opening I gained an inch or so. I bent the bracket for the gauges back a little to make it readable.

A year later, I took the gauge bracket and spun it 180 degrees. Bought some spacers a local hardware store and reinstalled it so that the gauges were on the riders side of the handlebars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
claydbal said:
look in drag specialties and the offer a top clamp that corrects the speedo angle problem.
i personally moved my speedo to under the top clamp, between the tank and risers, it was pretty involved fabrication, i just wanted to get that turbulance causing speedo out of the wind. yes it did cure the 70 mph and over buffeting problem!!
Claydbal would you share a little more detail on what you did and a picture would be neat if it was convenient for ya. Exploring options myself. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
52Norm said:
Claydbal would you share a little more detail on what you did and a picture would be neat if it was convenient for ya. Exploring options myself. Thanks
im too cheap to pay the forum tax, so i cant post pics? send me a pm and i will be appy to help!

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I use a 2 up, 2 back riser set. Didn't have to change cables, just reroute them. Brake hose had to be jury-rigged a bit, but it all fits well, and no extra cost...

·
Registered
908 Posts
If they still have my pictures, in the picture section I had the changes photographed of my bike.

·
NTBFW
32 Posts
Doing 4 inch risers and Flanders Flat Track bar on my FXDI next week. When I look at the cables, it seems the clutch cable needs to be relocated ouside the forks. Is there any thing wrong with that? I know that the throttle cable and brake lines will be ok but the clutch concerns me a bit.

·
Registered
908 Posts
FXD-Tim said:
I used pull back risers with the stock speedo. I just pushed on the bracket a little to lessen the angle. Then I spun the whole bracket 180 so that it was between the rider and the handle bars and spun the tack and speedo in their brackets. I rode like this for about two years.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I have a set of Low Rider Pull back risers if interested, $25.

·
Registered
38 Posts
claydbal said:

I'm in the same boat as boutym, I put a 2 1/2" pull back DS riser kit on mine and the speedo looks like hell sticking up in the air. I looked in DS for the clamp you mentioned, and can't seem to find it. Do you happen to have a photo of your speedo after you work? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would also be interested. Looked around a lot, but can't come up with an easy solution. If I really need to I'll change out the speedo, but would rather not right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.