V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me what the difference are between the gears in a Japanese bike and a Harleys? I know that a Harley is seperate from the engine, but I am looking for actual gears! If they are the same type of gears then why would some say that you should be running gear lube instead of engine oil? If it works in the *** bikes then would it also work in the Harleys too!
Jusy wondering! I have used the Syn 3 and I admit, I like the gear lube better,
But it could also just be in my head!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I doubt there's much difference in the gears. The unit engine/transmission is a compromise in terms of lubrication, since you have to use a single lube that works well for both.

Since heavy gear lube wouldn't work well in an engine (especially when cold), they use a lighter lube that does work well in the engine, and still works "well-enough" in the trans.

I'm sure certain engine oils would "work" in Harley trannys, just not as well as heavier gear lube.

John

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Harly transmission is basically just these 2 assemblies of gears. One is the manshaft and the other being the countershaft. The gears are all rather large and may benefit from the heavier gear lube, though I've never seen the inside of a foreign transmission. The foreign transmission may also require hydrolics which could only be accomplished with lighter fluid.

Not shown is the forked shifter assembly. A group of parts of limited movement. These do not require a lighter fluid either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
difference in trans

JRS hit the nail on the head. Japanese bikes share the same oil for the engine and the tranny, so you must use motor oil. Motor oil will work in a HD tranny just not for very long before it is worn out. My old 79 stated in the owners manuel to use 50 or 60w oil in the tranny. I always use 75/90 Amsoil in my HD trannys now. It lasts a long time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am going to use the redline shockproof heavy in my trans after talking to many people. The v-rod shares an oil sump and my friend who owns one uses only Amsoil 20w50. I will use Syn3 in the engine & primary and shockproof heavy in the trans. If I have any issues I'll try Amsoil. If you want visit the redline site at www.redlineoil.com very good site for information on gear oil.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
KBFXDLI said:
I am going to use the redline shockproof heavy in my trans after talking to many people. The v-rod shares an oil sump and my friend who owns one uses only Amsoil 20w50. I will use Syn3 in the engine & primary and shockproof heavy in the trans. If I have any issues I'll try Amsoil. If you want visit the redline site at www.redlineoil.com very good site for information on gear oil.

I recently switch to Redline Shockproof Heavy for my tranny. Very happy with the results.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Huntray said:
I recently switch to Redline Shockproof Heavy for my tranny. Very happy with the results.

I have heard nothing but good reports on the Redline Oils. I may go 100% Redline because there is a distributor 10 miles from my house so it is easy for me to get.

·
Banned
76 Posts
06 Dyna 6 speed tranny

The new 06 Dyna 6 speed trannys have the teeth on the gears cut at an angle to reduce the load on the gear teeth. This is new for HD and reduces the need for thick oil that reduces oil shearing. The new teeth also make the tranny a quiet one.
Harley Davidson has made a very nice tranny here. They backed it up with an extended tranny oil change. It's outstanding that an american company is making a quality product.
I own this bike and love the new changes for HD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts