V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason not to use dielectric grease on fuses, or anywhere else for that matter?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Absolutely not. Go for it. First thing I've done to bikes I've acquired over the years, new or not.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bike lives outdoors, under a cover. I thought that a little grease might save me some headaches later on down the road. I did plug and coil wires last year and thought that fuses might be a good application too. I replaced the headlight bulb in my car the other day. I see Honda must have put grease on the bulb base at manufacture time. Its still in there doing its job 13 years later, and not too dirty. I will step out on a limb here and say my Sportster fuse box is cleaner than the headlamp assembly on my car.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Dielectric grease will prevent corrosion. Take your pick, corrosion or a little dirt. My current bike has 118,000 miles on it and haven't seen any bad effects from the dielectric grease yet. Nor did I ever on previous bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
It is a very good idea. Any connection I take apart I put some in. I'd rather have dirt stuck to the grease on the outside than dirt and water on the inside.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
It is a very good idea. Any connection I take apart I put some in. I'd rather have dirt stuck to the grease on the outside than dirt and water on the inside.
:yes: Yep, I'm in agreement with him.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I'm having a hard time finding some...any recommendations?

Ride Safe
-Randy-

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
FlaFatBoy said:
I'm having a hard time finding some...any recommendations?

Ride Safe
-Randy-
Any auto supply, most motorcycle shops and probably Wal Mart automotive.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
trooper113 said:
Any auto supply, most motorcycle shops and probably Wal Mart automotive.

Thanx Trooper.

Ride Safe
-Randy-

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I bought mine at Pep Boys automotive. It is twice the size of the HD tube and cost 75% of the HD price.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I think I bought mine at Pep Boys automotive. It is twice the size of the HD tube and cost 75% of the HD price.

And I would never have expected that from the MOCO. :D Thanx will check over at Pep Boys.

Ride Safe
-Randy-

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Dielectric grease is also great under the rubber boots on your cable adjusters. Makes them slide when you need them to, and cuts down on corrosion to boot. Just a VERY thin film is all you need. Won't trash the rubber, either.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Well, while we're at it, it works great on the rubber blocks on the bottom of hard bags so you can seat them properly, which the dealer never does during set-up. :D

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Yep, it can serve so many puposes. It's silicone so it's slippery and seal/repels water/air/dirt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts