V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
---I recently bought my first Harley, after 20 years of BMWs and Japanese. I was droolling all over so much, I kind of came in my pants and bought the first thing that showed up at my door. A 2000 Road King Police. It was not used by police, but by Shriners, as a parade bike.
---Now, It has alot of plusses. It's all black and has a Road King Touring seat fitted, and the police seat on the side. The black finish shines like a mirror, literally, but it hasn't alot of chrome, though it has some. The cylinder and various covers are aluminium. It does have alot of unique standard features, though.
---It has a nifty Road King Police tachometer, no blow-out rims and tires, reinforced frame and dual piston calipers (that I don't think the other models got 'till 2001), and red and blue wig-wags. 6000 mi. Runs really sweet, and I think it has a quicker gear in there somewhere. It's roughly stage one, carbed.
---I don't want to tell you how much I paid, because I paid too much, but, let me ask you, if you were selling this bike, how much would you expect to get for it? What do yo think of Police bikes, generally? Be nice.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I paid $18,750 cash for mine. SE Stage 2.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
JimmyK said:
I paid $18,750 cash for mine. SE Stage 2.

Bit of a difference in bike specs do ya not think? :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
A bike is worth what somebody will pay for it.

However, I agree with the good counsel you received from truckman. You've bought it--don't ask what others think the bike is worth. You'll just get irratated at yourself. Been there--done that!!!!

But fyi, if you want to feel BAD, take a look at www.kbb.com and pop in the model and year. This will give you a "ballpark" feel for the "retail" of a similar stock bike. Add on the value of the "extras" and you'll have a rough idea of a dealer MIGHT ask for the bike. But remember there are a lot of variables in play that would affect the dealer's asking price.

As for police bikes "generally", we've had some threads about them. As I recall (and a "search" would generate better info), the care the source (the particularly police dept.) gives their bikes is a big factor in whether to purchase a police bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Actually I think we all paid too much, BUT the feeling and enjoyment of riding my bike as well as working on it is priceless!!!!! You only live once.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Price paid...

Means nothing!!! I was lucky enough to get MSRP at my local dealer for an ordered bike, but added nuts worth of extras. The money's gone, who cares, if you didn't want to do it, you wouldn't have done it! Who in their right mind would pay what we do for these things, but we are all in control of the decision, so why worry. It's done, so enjoy it!!!!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
OK, what the Hell. Q. Do you buy the scooter YOU want? Or die and leave the $$$ to your kids to fuc off on a *** Bike or worse yet, a KIA?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Harley gives Shriners a coupon, take it to almost any dealer and you get the bike a little less that list price, and any color is allowed.
Gary

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Vagabond2000 said:
Harley gives Shriners a coupon, take it to almost any dealer and you get the bike a little less that list price, and any color is allowed.
Gary

That is fucin sad.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I know what it's worth but I don't want to tell you.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
logical said:
I know what it's worth but I don't want to tell you.

You are a kind man. .....................

HEY! Get any good candy tonight?

·
Registered
94 Posts
ok, what about the cost of stages
stage 1 = $1,000 to $1,999
stage 2 = $2,000 to $2,999
stage 3 = $3,000 to $3,999

and so on etc...

BTW my 2002 FLHT was $16.4K out the door with CA tax & lic, lace wheels & security system

·
Registered
132 Posts
If I ever buy new again I'll see if my grandmother still has my grandfather's big ass Shriner hat with the tassles. " I forgot the coupon but I got the [email protected]#%@ hat on. gimme a deal". BTW I'm not knocking Shriners they do good work!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I bought a new1999 BMW for about $18,000. Spent another couple thou in extras. 19k miles, perfect shape, Would be happy to get $10k for it. Paid more for my 02 king, more on extras, not as fast, no abs, no electric windshield, TWICE as fun. Enjoy your bike, nice to have you here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just for the record on the Shriner's thing. They get 27 new Road Kings each 2 or three years. They get the Police versions and the parts to make them standard Road Kings, like the seat and some crome. THey get a rate from harley and then buy them through the dealer that has given them the best contract for the fleet. They have to hold them for two years.
My understanding is that they paid 15% less than MSRP of a stock bike and get a Police version.
Well, thanks for your replies. I paid $16,250 and got delivery from Nebraska, which was worth something, I guess. It's just that I've seen alot of 2002s, regular models, for not much more.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey, $16,250 is cool. One thing you should do is find out the manufacture date. If it is before 12/14/99 you probably have bad bearings.

·
Registered
206 Posts
...You got the bike you wanted, the key is to now...ride and enjoy life. Hopefully, in 6-months you won't remember or care what you paid.

Plus, they re-sale for good value. Enjoy it. We all paid too much, but it beats dying with cash in the bamk, IMHO.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
i have a road king with a shriner electra glide ordered ;shriners is an off shoot of the masonic lodge offering free burn and orthapedic services to needy children,,,some of the best hospitals in the world all without a billing dept.hd has offered bikes to them for decades,,because of parade duty,,,????,,mine is msrp at 19,500 for ultra classic,,,however i am not active but pay dues for charity reasons,,and the hat is goofy,,i dont know how this started and neither does my dealer but its been going on a long time,,by the way msrp in my area is UN HEARD of

1 - 20 of 37 Posts