V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally went for a short ride yesterday on my 04fxdwg with new 95"htcc setup all was well,but had to stop for a train and sat at idle for what seemed like about 10 minutes give or take 2 minutes.I wasnt thinking about heat build up at the time (dooo.).If I had it to do all over again I would have turned it off and back on.Then to make things more worrysome when I got back home I let it cool for a little bit approx. 30-45 minutes before I hosed off the salt from the roads and the engine was still hot enough to steam from the water.Everything sounds and runs ok but in the back of my mind I wonder if I screwed something up and how will I know if i did.BTW it was approx. 50 degrees here in Mich. yesterday.Any thoughts?Thanks kudumaned.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
You'll be fine, especialy if it was heat cycled before you took it out. Cooler temps. are better for engine break in so you did good there.

Think of how many people buy new vehicles and just go with it. There are so many ways to break in a new engine from keeping it mellow to full out open throttle that I'm not sure there is a "wrong" way to do it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reasurement HDMARSH77 I did heat cycle it 3 times before taking it out,but I dont have an oil cooler and I'm still running dino oil for break in.I wonder how long it would have to idle to get hot enough to break down dino oil?I think I will change oil any way just to be on safe side.kudumaned.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
kudumaned said:
Thanks for the reasurement HDMARSH77 I did heat cycle it 3 times before taking it out,but I dont have an oil cooler and I'm still running dino oil for break in.I wonder how long it would have to idle to get hot enough to break down dino oil?I think I will change oil any way just to be on safe side.kudumaned.
Kudu -

You're fine... it will ping and run badly if it's getting too hot and you will definitely notice it. Even then, if you shut it down and let it cool, you'll probably be okay. These are rugged engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts