V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the back log of posts, and I checked a few other areas and didn't see this specific topic fully addressed... I apologize if this post is redundant in any way.

I have a '06 Nightrain, bone stock, and I don't plan on any extensive motor mods in the near future.
I want to put the Bassani Prostreets on the bike, and I wanted to do a simple breather upgrade.

My hope was you all could give me your honest advice- which setup should I use in this scenario?

I am leaning towards the DFO, and I am willing to hear all feedback.
Remember, I only want the most simple and effective way to put the Prostreets on the bike-I love the way those pipes look, and I know- shame on me for not adhering to the old proverb of form following function.

Pros and cons of all 3 please. I figure the SERT for a more race set up, the power commander for guys who want to tweak their stuff to the n-th degree, and the DFO as a simple and straight forward approach to air and fuel adjustment on EFI.

Edumacate me peeps- I am ready to get my learn on!:dunno:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I am under the impression that although a truly knowledgeable SERT/DYNO tuner is hard to find, the SERT allows for the most "tweaking" AND possible future upgrades and changes.

I too would like to hear from people who really know. Locally, here in the Detroit area, several H-D dealers really promote the PC. I've learned that they either don't understand the SERT or have limited experience. The manual is comprised of 126 pages, all of which must be understood to utilize it properly. A Dyno is also necessary, so the dealers without a Dyno can't set it up properly. My SERT/Dyno tuner takes a full day to set a bike up in conjunction with a Dyno tune. He charges 3 hours labor in addition to the $459.95 cost of the SERT. Letting the bike cool down between tweaks is necessary and time consuming, but a good tuner can attain near perfection with it. A simple download is faster, cheaper, and will suffice, but if you want the engine to maximize it's potential a good tuner and a SERT is the best way to go...Tom

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I agree about the DFO, but you should get a stage 1 flash from the dealer to raise the rev limiter. But then again, if a DFO is $100 and a flash is $150, doesn't the PC give you all that plus more for about the same price?
The SERT is the best for covering any future upgrades, but it is spendy.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
BryanL said:
I agree about the DFO, but you should get a stage 1 flash from the dealer to raise the rev limiter. But then again, if a DFO is $100 and a flash is $150, doesn't the PC give you all that plus more for about the same price?
The SERT is the best for covering any future upgrades, but it is spendy.
does the PC now allow for bumping the rev limit?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Yes, you can now raise the rev limiter with the PCIII USB

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I like the new turbo tec with upgraded 6 wire o2 with a quatam backed phazer up load. But then I like high tech !!!!! *TIBS*

The dfo is fine for mild upgrades I have several guys that have the 98 kit and have made numbers as good as with a SERT or PC. The pipe plays a huge part in that. I would go with what can be tuned the best in YOUR area.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
PCIII rev extend

The rev extend feature comes installed on the current version of the PCIII. I recently purchased one from Direct Parts and it came with the rev extend.

-Bluelab

·
Dog is my copilot
85 Posts
Not that I've used it yet (but it is on order)... there is still the closed loop option. The daytona twin-tec (2 O2 sensors, $900) and the Terminal Velocity II from Terry components ($400 from directparts). Seems like a reasonable way to go if you don't mind not having your ride absolutely perfectly tuned (or if you are light years away from a knowledgeable tuner). As far as the TVII, it takes a reading from an O2 sensor from one of your cylinders and adjusts the AFR based on that. The reviews on this forum have all been very good (do a search).

Just another option!

Gibby

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DFO for me

DFO it will be then-

... and thanks to all of you who have contributed to my EFI education. This group of folks is awesome!

This is my 1st, 2nd, and all other choices for getting real feedback.
:thanks:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Hiwaystar said:
DFO it will be then-

... and thanks to all of you who have contributed to my EFI education. This group of folks is awesome!

This is my 1st, 2nd, and all other choices for getting real feedback.
:thanks:
If you are sold on the DFO, get the flash first. It may be all you need. If you still have popping, add the DFO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts