V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my question....I have heard nothing but great stuff about Dewey and his work. Would love to use his work. I live about 30min away from Underground. Are Dewey's heads worth the extra Down Time, Shipping Costs, Duty at the border? Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Almost seems like your splitting hairs when choosing one good porter or the other (in my opinion), although Dewy does get allot off praise here on v-twin seems like any porter can do as good or better than the next guy (Just ask him) lol :hystria: , I saw some Dewy ported heads that didn't look pretty (but a lot of guys seem to think they work well and "pretty" doesn't make things work better) Dewy himself claims nice smooth ports dont help anything others claim otherwise.-2$en#e-

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Rdubu said:
Almost seems like your splitting hairs when choosing one good porter or the other (in my opinion), although Dewy does get allot off praise here on v-twin seems like any porter can do as good or better than the next guy (Just ask him) lol :hystria: , I saw some Dewy ported heads that didn't look pretty (but a lot of guys seem to think they work well and "pretty" doesn't make things work better) Dewy himself claims nice smooth ports dont help anything others claim otherwise.-2$en#e-
Well, I don't know if it's splitting hairs but the highest dyno for a given engine size seems to come from engines GRock has tuned and he seems especially fond of Dewey's heads. Not to mention the fact that Dewey always has time for you if you have questions or just want to shoot the breeze and he's been around these engines longer that most of us have been alive.

Joe

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
What kind of cam are you going to use? Underground heads seem aimed at high lift Wood's cams. Dewey has 3 different head "packages" and have some of the best dynos around for Andrews low lift, Andrews high lift and Wood high lift. Bill Bishop, Hammer, is more like Dewey than Underground.

Oh, and Rdubu as far as smoothness of ports, look at the pictures on Underground's website. On that matter, they seem to agree with Dewey.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Ask yourself this question; If you go to Dewey, who's doing the actual work? Probably Dewey. If you go to Underground, who's gonna do the work????? I've got a set of Head-Quarters heads but I'm not 100% sure that Doug did the work. I'm not saying Underground's machinists don't do good work, hell they've got a big following, but my next set of heads is gonna be done by someone I know that has time to shoot the breeze and I know they are doing the actual machining. If you're worried about downtime, get a set of cores from ebay or go to some one that has an exchange ' http://www.bigalsperformanceparts.com/ And sell yours on ebay or turn them in for core. One set of heads is as good as another once the machininst gets em:duh?:

Hey Charlie - I knew who you'd vote for!!!!:beer4u:

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
croctail2002 said:
105+hp 115+tq 95tc only 30min away i know where i would be going colin is a great guy go talk to him
Is ther any other parts to that motor? Those are some pretty common numbers nowadays. Are those Canadian numbers? Ya gotta subtract 12%.......J/K...:beer4u:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
croctail2002 said:
105+hp 115+tq 95tc only 30min away i know where i would be going colin is a great guy go talk to him

I'll second that, Colin is a great guy(call him & talk). Underground Head motors don't play second fiddle to anybody that's for sure.

If you're 30 minutes from Colin, this is a no-brainer.......

~John

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
My build was just completed with a set of Dewey's heads. I can't tell you how happy I am, not only with the results, but with Dewey himself. There were some shipping (damage) issues that he filed the claims for, as well as, sending me a set of heads he already had finished. He will do an exchange provided your heads are in good shape, I believe. All I can tell you is, everything he told me, from our first conversation to the one we had yesterday, has been right on the mark. Dyno on my fresh build.........4th gear 98HP 107TQ:wootdnc:

One more thing, regardless of who does your heads.......make damn sure your tuner knows what the hell he's doing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rdubu, the "almost" was a joke. Do you get it? In reality Dewey and his work
are top notch. He ALWAYS has time for your questions and comments. Maybe next time I should use one of those little smiliey faces to let everyone know it's supposed to be funny.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Mister A said:
Rdubu, the "almost" was a joke. Do you get it? In reality Dewey and his work
are top notch. He ALWAYS has time for your questions and comments. Maybe next time I should use one of those little smiliey faces to let everyone know it's supposed to be funny.

What are you doing starting controversy at 6:30 AM??? That's my job!!.......:xhere:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
HogJR said:
My build was just completed with a set of Dewey's heads. I can't tell you how happy I am, not only with the results, but with Dewey himself. All I can tell you is, everything he told me, from our first conversation to the one we had yesterday, has been right on the mark. Dyno on my fresh build.........4th gear 98HP 107TQ
I can say exactly the same things about my experiences(more than one)with Colin & Underground. Colin will take time to explain everything on the phone & definitely knows his stuff.

Probably the main difference between an UG & a Dewey setup would be that I have never seen a UG under 100 HP & TQ is usually in the 115 range.

~John

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Obviously, both of these guys do excellent work. Their reputations & performance #'s speak for themselves. I would not hesitate to use either one.

The thing is, if your half an hour away from one & the other is in another COUNTRY, they makes the question kinda silly IMHO.

~John

·
Registered
90 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
Ask yourself this question; If you go to Dewey, who's doing the actual work? Probably Dewey. If you go to Underground, who's gonna do the work????? I've got a set of Head-Quarters heads but I'm not 100% sure that Doug did the work. I'm not saying Underground's machinists don't do good work, hell they've got a big following, but my next set of heads is gonna be done by someone I know that has time to shoot the breeze and I know they are doing the actual machining. If you're worried about downtime, get a set of cores from ebay or go to some one that has an exchange ' http://www.bigalsperformanceparts.com/ And sell yours on ebay or turn them in for core. One set of heads is as good as another once the machininst gets em:duh?:
You find anything wrong with the Head-Quarters workmanship?

Terry C

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I would go to a guy in Fla, he does all the work
himself and has a great finished product. He is
very careful on setting his builds up for real world
driving conditions, therefore keeping the cranking
compression down to 180-190 ish. I currently have
a set of Red's heads and very happy with these but
next time it would be John Sachs and HQ-0039 cams.

Not to take anything away from Dewey or
underground.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Terry C said:
You find anything wrong with the Head-Quarters workmanship?

Terry C
Nope. Not a thing!! I bought these slightly used and sent them with my cylinders when I had them bored, to Big Al's Performance. He said they were excellent craftsmenship. All I was saying is I don't know who at HQ did the machining. If you send your heads to Dewey's or Big Al's you can be pretty sure Dewey or Al did the work. I've talked at great length with Al and I like his philosophy on making HP and my next set of heads will be done there, and he's 1500 miles from me!!:chopper:

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
From Underground website
The staff at Underground Heads have a combined history in the business of more than 30 years and have spent most of that time on the performance aspect of the trade.
So their combined history is about the same Dewey's by himself.
I believe Underground is just two people. Colin & ??, so if you call you probably will be talking to the guy who will work on your heads.
John Morton can tell you the other guy's name.

·
Registered
90 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
Nope. Not a thing!! I bought these slightly used and sent them with my cylinders when I had them bored, to Big Al's Performance. He said they were excellent craftsmenship. All I was saying is I don't know who at HQ did the machining. If you send your heads to Dewey's or Big Al's you can be pretty sure Dewey or Al did the work. I've talked at great length with Al and I like his philosophy on making HP and my next set of heads will be done there, and he's 1500 miles from me!!:chopper:
And the system works well?

TC

·
Registered
917 Posts
UG is 30 minutes from your house. His work is reasonably priced. Go over there and see if he will let you take a ride on a bike with his std recipe. You neeed to stick to his recipe if you want the 115+tq and 105hp that his builds consistently put out.

They are high compression, woods tw6hg builds and you will need to use compression releases.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts